Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Cannibal Holocaust (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   SHAM031/SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The Archive Discussion (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cannibal-holocaust/4886-sham031-sham201-cannibal-holocaust-archive-discussion.html)

Jonny 8th March 2011 02:32 PM

SHAM031/SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The Archive Discussion

Do I win a prize for guessing?

Cannibal Holocaust: New 2011 Cut

A new 2011 cut of Cannibal Holocaust (1979) is currently being completed in conjunction with Shameless Films for release in Summer 2011 and will be premiered at Cine-Excess V.

More info...

Cine-Excess V

Paul@TheOverlook 8th March 2011 02:46 PM

I think you should get a prize for that - you may want to snap a plethora of cabinet-encased DVDs just to make sure. :pound:

All jokes aside, that really looks like a great event. Wish I could attend but I’ll have moved from London by then and won’t be coming back in a hurry.

Also, and I have to hand it to Shameless, whoever it was that came up with the idea of getting Deodato to oversee a new version of the film. There was absolutely no way in hell that the film would have gotten an uncut release but by getting the director back to oversee a new version of the film (sans animal cruelty, I take it) the film’s got as good a chance as any passing the BBFC without cuts.

I’m sure there are a lot of people who have avoided the film in the past because of the animal cruelty, or, if you’re like me, have avoided re-watching it for years (I finally saw it again last year after telling myself I wouldn’t for 16 years!). I would imagine with all the controversy the film caused at the time of release and the kicking it still gets from some people today, Deodato would have been happy to be given the opportunity to go back and re-assess the problematic elements. I’m definitely up for seeing a revised version.

Jonny 8th March 2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 133937)
Also, and I have to hand it to Shameless, whoever it was that came up with the idea of getting Deodato to oversee a new version of the film. There was absolutely no way in hell that the film would have gotten an uncut release but by getting the director back to oversee a new version of the film (sans animal cruelty, I take it) the film’s got as good a chance as any passing the BBFC without cuts.

Yeah, it's great choice for releasing and it'll sail through the BBFC without the animal cruelty. It's a standout film without those elements so it'll be great to see this released over here in an all new Director approved version.

Looking forward to it.

Demoncrat 8th March 2011 02:53 PM

....???

all i can say is "Michty me!!" :eek:

mr 420 8th March 2011 02:57 PM

Congrats to the team, some good thinking out of the box there. I really liked Cannibal Holocaust but absolutely abhorred the cruelty towards the animals. I actually quite enjoyed the butchered vipco dvd because it removed the animal footage.

Paul@TheOverlook 8th March 2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 133943)
Congrats to the team, some good thinking out of the box there. I really liked Cannibal Holocaust but absolutely abhorred the cruelty towards the animals. I actually quite enjoyed the butchered vipco dvd because it removed the animal footage.

...and god only knows how much else. There was a hell of a lot more than the animal cruely missing from the "kiddie-friendly" Vicpo release. People forget just how grim the film is even without the animal stuff.

mr 420 8th March 2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 133945)
...and god only knows how much else. There was a hell of a lot more than the animal cruely missing from the "kiddie-friendly" Vicpo release. People forget just how grim the film is even without the animal stuff.

Very true Paul. I just thought it was a bit early in the day to start going on about forced abortions and the like. Some people may be eating their tea.:)

Paul@TheOverlook 8th March 2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 133947)
Very true Paul. I just thought it was a bit early in the day to start going on about forced abortions and the like. Some people may be eating their tea.:)

It's never too early in the day for a forced abortion, mate. :lol:

mr 420 8th March 2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 133949)
It's never too early in the day for a forced abortion, mate. :lol:

Somehow I think this is one avenue we really shouldn't be veering off into.:)

tollickd 8th March 2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul@lovelockandload (Post 133937)
i think you should get a prize for that - you may want to snap a plethora of cabinet-encased dvds just to make sure. :pound: .

lol I don't do it for prizes I do it for the passion on hobby :p

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 03:50 PM

This sounds very interesting. A Shameless rebuild / directors cut certainly whets the appetite.

Sarah@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 04:00 PM

:doh: Ah well, this was bound to come out sooner or later! Keeping a secret here is a bit like trying to carry water in a sieve!

It's exciting though, isn't it?

I'm not sure exactly what I can reveal (that Cine Excess hasn't kindly revealed for me already ;)) but be assured that exciting details will follow soon.

And, no, Paul, you don't get a prize, unfortunately. I think someone already guessed this in the old speculation thread. Plus you spoiled my surprise. :p

;)

mr 420 8th March 2011 04:03 PM

Do you know if the old GO artwork is going to be a cover option?:pray:

tollickd 8th March 2011 04:06 PM

It would be nice to see this on blu ray or a ultimate edition with many features

Jonny 8th March 2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 133975)
And, no, Paul, you don't get a prize, unfortunately. I think someone already guessed this in the old speculation thread. Plus you spoiled my surprise. :p

It was me actually. Bit unsure about your rules for guessing the title of SHAM031. So does the first person who mentioned CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST in the speculation thread win then?

Sarah@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 133979)
It was me actually. Bit unsure about your rules for guessing the title of SHAM031. So does the first person who mentioned CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST in the speculation thread win then?

I knew that. Not sure why I typed Paul. Sorry.

As for the prize for guessing Cannibal Holocaust, in the speculation thread, it was the first person to guess/mention it as the title of SHAM031 in the thread. Which would be this post as far as I can tell. Oh, and I know that particular member says it's a Blu-ray, but the comp was guess the title, not the format and he got the title right.

Paul@TheOverlook 8th March 2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 133982)

You're forgiven.

Jonny 8th March 2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Hey, no sweat. We often get told we look alike so I'm used to it. :nod:

Quote:

As for the prize for guessing Cannibal Holocaust, in the speculation thread, it was the first person to guess/mention it as the title of SHAM031 in the thread. Which would be this post as far as I can tell. Oh, and I know that particular member says it's a Blu-ray, but the comp was guess the title, not the format and he got the title right.

Cool. Well done Baseball Fury! :clap:

Sarah@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 133977)
Do you know if the old GO artwork is going to be a cover option?:pray:

I know nothing I'm afraid.

At the moment there are no details since this wasn't supposed to be revealed until everything was in place.

I'm trying to get some basic details on what the release will consist of but artwork will be way down the line I would thing!

Sorry...

nekromantik 8th March 2011 04:33 PM

this sounds interesting and I would love to make it to the screening of this!
Its during my exam period however :(
So I hopefully dont have exams so I can make it.

Be VERY interesting to find out if there is any new footage but doubt that. Of course it will be animal cruelty free as BBFC will cut it otherwise.

tollickd 8th March 2011 05:01 PM

After this news it might be possible to see suspiria release with arrow then. It would be great

nekromantik 8th March 2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tollickd (Post 133993)
After this news it might be possible to see suspiria release with arrow then. It would be great

doubt it as we already got a recent bluray of suspiria so another one so soon would not viable.

skankenstoned 8th March 2011 07:03 PM

This is awesome news, once again Shameless get it right on the money and with Deodatto on board I've no doubt this'll be a great version of a great film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 07:06 PM

This'll be very interesting indeed.

Deodato has recieved major flak over the cruelty over the years.
I wonder how he's going to restructure this powerful film.....

Jonny 8th March 2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 134041)
I wonder how he's going to restructure this powerful film.....

He'll probably just take out anything that the BBFC won't like. :p :nod:

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 07:55 PM

Wow, I really wasn't expecting this. Really looking forward to how this turns out.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 07:56 PM

Think he'll maybe swap some stuff around?

Perhaps he has some never seen footage stashed in his hut!:lol:

If only eh?

tris thompson 8th March 2011 08:20 PM

Always the bearer of good news our beloved Jonny R

Fantastic news!!!!

Gotta admit - despite my various imports - I've been content with a cut version (i.e minus all the animal cruelty) for years...

As for new scenes...how about Deodato creates the legendary unfilmed piranha sequence....in Nintendo styled cheapo-vision CGI!!!!!

I'm joking of course....:eyebrows:

Tristan

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 08:41 PM

As someone who finds animal cruelty distasteful but also hates censorship, it will be great to see what Deodato, who now regrets the animal cruelty he shot, does to Cannibal Holocaust and how much it will differ from the theatrical cut.

Hats off to Shameless for this tremendous achievement.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 08:52 PM

It's great to see Shameless adding one of the most notorious horror 'nasties' to their catalogue. :cool:

This will certainly be a one-of-a-kind style of release.

I'm very much looking forward to finding out more details as it develops, and I'm sure Shameless will present us with a fantastic release.

JAMIOUSE 8th March 2011 09:13 PM

Very intresting choice of release and much needed, the Vipco / Cornerstone editions are the only editions available here in the UK. Which makes me ask are those illegal? If Shameless have bought the rights should Vipco / Cornerstone be releasing it at all? Will the Shameless edition rival the Grindhouse DVD? I'm certainly intrigued as to what Deodato will have done with Holocaust. What next Cannibal Ferox?

Sarah@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 09:35 PM

Righty, I now have some details for you guys and it's all a bit exciting:

I can confirm that Shameless is in talks with Deodato to create a brand new edit of Cannibal Holocaust. Exactly what that will entail I don't know for now - it's all in the early stages but is sure to be one of the most interesting and hotly anticipated releases of 2011.

I can also confirm that Deodato is participating in the release and will feature in the extras.

Perhaps most excitingly? I can confirm that Deodato is overseeing the production of a brand new HD master of the film in Rome which is currently in the restoration phase: so the Shameless release will be both DVD and Blu-ray!

That's SHAM031 and SHAM201!

As everything is in the very early stages I can't confirm anything further for now but, rest assured, any information on this release will be revealed here first!

tollickd 8th March 2011 09:40 PM

Blu-Ray! Is this the first HD release for the Cannibal Holocaust?

I am over the moon, I don't own a copy of this!!!

Sarah@Cult Labs 8th March 2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tollickd (Post 134105)
Blu-Ray! Is this the first HD release for the Cannibal Holocaust?

As far as I'm aware it is...

minky starshine 8th March 2011 11:45 PM

I'm generally a very negative person(prob something to do with the films I watch!!!)..so..I think Cannibal Holocaust has been thrashed to within an inch of it's life by other dvd companies..I really don't know what Deodato can do with it other than re-arrange and cut things out..don't fancy that..any extra footage would be a major bonus,but if nothing ain't emerged up to this point then I'm not gonna hold my breath..I'll probably still buy this and put it with my various other version(is there another film that has be released so many times?).........having said all that I have to take my hat off to Shameless(and Arrow)for bringing us some fantastical releases to date(Designated Victim is a classic)and I think Holocaust will prove to be a best seller for Shameless..looking forward to more info/spec features/art etc...well done(trying to be positive now..)

nekromantik 9th March 2011 12:50 AM

wow a bluray too!!!
if the only thing missing is the animal cruelty then I will deffo be getting the bluray.
Already own the Aussy 2 disc set (clone of grindhouse).

the blob 9th March 2011 03:02 AM

I'm hoping he throws in a CGI Jabba in there somewhere.

Seriously though, this sounds really interesting. :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th March 2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 134103)
Righty, I now have some details for you guys and it's all a bit exciting:

I can confirm that Shameless is in talks with Deodato to create a brand new edit of Cannibal Holocaust. Exactly what that will entail I don't know for now - it's all in the early stages but is sure to be one of the most interesting and hotly anticipated releases of 2011.

I can also confirm that Deodato is participating in the release and will feature in the extras.

Perhaps most excitingly? I can confirm that Deodato is overseeing the production of a brand new HD master of the film in Rome which is currently in the restoration phase: so the Shameless release will be both DVD and Blu-ray!

That's SHAM031 and SHAM201!

As everything is in the very early stages I can't confirm anything further for now but, rest assured, any information on this release will be revealed here first!

Fantastic news! :clap: Cannibal Holocaust on Blu-Ray = an essential purchase! :dance:

It's great to hear that Deodato is personally overseeing the HD master, too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th March 2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 134122)
Fantastic news! :clap: Cannibal Holocaust on Blu-Ray = an essential purchase! :dance:

It's great to hear that Deodato is personally overseeing the HD master, too.

That's pretty much what I was going to say!

Paul@TheOverlook 9th March 2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minky starshine (Post 134111)
I'm generally a very negative person(prob something to do with the films I watch!!!)..so..I think Cannibal Holocaust has been thrashed to within an inch of it's life by other dvd companies..I really don't know what Deodato can do with it other than re-arrange and cut things out..don't fancy that..any extra footage would be a major bonus,but if nothing ain't emerged up to this point then I'm not gonna hold my breath..

I think it's best to wait and see what happens with this new cut. As far as I know, Deodato has never been given the opportunity to revist the film until now and the fact that he's going back to the elements 30 years after making the film it will be interesting to see just how different the film will be. Even if he adds no new footage at all.

My only one concern is that I hope he doesn't change any of the music though!

...which reminds me, did anyone ever see Francis Coppola's revised version of THE OUTSIDERS? It was billed as "The Complete Novel" and incorporated almost 30 minutes of additional footage. The new footage is ace, and a lot of teh supporting characters are fleshed-out more. Sadly, his father's elegant score is largely missing and replaced by ill-fitting surf music that is better suited to Pulp Fiction than it is The Outsiders.