Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th April 2011, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
...Deodato's new edit will not simply cut out the animal cruelty scenes, but rather will edit out the actual, obvious pain and cruelty inflicted on the animals, but keep the "fact" that it happened.
I'm interested to know/see how this will work.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Is this coming out on Blu-Ray as well?
Old 11th April 2011, 10:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Or Treat View Post
Is this coming out on Blu-Ray as well?
Yep! It will be Shameless' second HD release after New York Ripper

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 11th April 2011, 10:50 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
yeah the turtle scene is very hard to watch.
I cannot watch the whole sequence. never have lol
Thats what I mean.
It's integral to the film but it ranks as the worst of it's kind in the films of this nature.
It's not quick by any means, it's not clean and it's certainly not humane.

Are we sure that Shameless submitted the exact same version as Grindhouse dvd ?

Surely some precutting must have been involved for the BBFC to be making such obviously inaccurate comments.

Cut the muskrat but leave the turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Yep! It will be Shameless' second HD release after New York Ripper
2 out of 2 with cuts.
Shameless indeed.

The animal cruelty is part of the reason this film has such a reputation.
For any of it to be cut is bad.

I still don't understand why people waste money buying censored films when uncut versions are so easily available

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 12th April 2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Posts merged due to two posts in quick succession.
Old 11th April 2011, 10:53 PM
Active Cultist

What about the last road to hell sequence, surely that would be cut?
Old 11th April 2011, 11:15 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtom View Post
I agree it is a very graphic scene. I am of course in no position to speak on behalf of the BBFC or anybody else for that matter, so the following is merely my thoughts on that matter. Just a warning that it does get a little graphic from here on in!

Just re-watching the scene now, maybe it's because the first thing to come off is the turtles head - almost everything is severed on the first cut of the knife - with the exception of the all the skin. Everything after that point, (ie the kicking of the turtle, the movement of the mouth, etc) could be considered motor reflex and therefore, while it looks horrible, might not be classed as cruel to the animal. It's just like when a chicken is beheaded, it still flies around for a while. Such scenes with chickens are, I'm sure, available in many UK films (Faces Of Death the one I can think of off the top of my head). It may also have helped that there is footage of the actual eating the turtle in the film. It, in-a-way, puts into context why the turtle was killed.
I do agree that it is a very drawn out scene and deliberately shot to be as graphic as possible though.
I believe that the fact they ate the turtle afterwards plays a huge impact on that scene being (considered) allowed through uncut.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
2 out of 2 with cuts.
Shameless indeed.

The animal cruelty is part of the reason this film has such a reputation.
For any of it to be cut is bad.

I still don't understand why people waste money buying censored films when uncut versions are so easily available
I'd rather buy an animal cruelty free version because animal cruelty is just not what I'd want to watch fully uncut regardless of how it was "meant" to be seen. I don't call that wasting money and besides I'll be buying any Shameless HD release anyway as a way of helping them release more classic films in HD in the future, every little helps!
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 11th April 2011, 11:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Plus, you have to realise that Deodato himself is overseeing this edit, so it can almost be viewed as Cannibal Holocaust: The Director's Cut.

Many films are re-released in different cuts depending on certain parties preferences - look at Blade Runner as an example.

I think people tend to get hung-up on what 'uncut' can mean sometimes. All films are edited before release, plus 'extended versions' of some films add absolutely nothing to the story, on occasions.

I don't think that the proposed BBFC approved version will lose any of its raw visceral impact through the loss of 14 seconds of a muskrat being killed, and I am really pleased that this film has got through virtually unscathed.

I have uncut DVD releases, but will definitely be picking this up in HD. It will be very interesting to see Deodato's revised version, too; he has admitted to regretting the animal violence on many occasions, so with that in mind I'm not sure why people are complaining - it's not as if he's being forced to make it, or that they are being forced to buy it, either.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:36 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
So the BBFC think the turtle killing was "quick clean and humane".
I think we must have watched different films.
Quote:
Thats what I mean.
It's integral to the film but it ranks as the worst of it's kind in the films of this nature.
I'll believe it when I see it. The turtle death is the most protracted, vile scene of animal cruelty in the entire film! No way could it be described as quick, clean or humane.

As has already been stated, this was not a formal classification by the BBFC - thats still to come. I will be amazed if the turtle scene is left intact.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:42 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

It will definately be interesting to see what the final verdict turns out to be!

Like this? Share it using the links below!