Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2011, 02:09 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanmetal View Post
I must be the only person that agrees with you, OK I admit it's nice to see only 14 seconds being cut, but a cut's a cut. WHEN WILL THE BBFC START TREATING ADULTS LIKE ADULTS?
Finally..Thank you!
Old 12th April 2011, 02:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
I wasn't looking for an apology but thank you anyway. Perhaps I phrased what I said badly. All I meant was that this exact same point (with regards to if people don't like it then they shouldn't watch the film) has been made on the other Cannibal Holocaust thread and I don't see any point in posting it again on this thread. Especially as, if I remember rightly, it's a point that does seem to get quite a few people's backs up.

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice of what people want to watch. If people want to steer clear of the film altogether in protest of the animal cruelty then that's up to them. If people want to watch the film fully uncut, that's their choice. And if people want to experience the film without the animal cruelty then that's no one's business but their own. (I personally have an uncut version but I fast forward or shut my eyes through the animal scenes.)

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the film should be cut to cater for their tastes, but the fact is that this new edit shall be in existence soon so why shouldn't the people who do want an animal-cruelty-free version be happy about that? After all, as many keep saying, the fully uncut version is easy enough to get hold of for those who want that.

Basically, I'm all for everyone having their own opinion and not being penalised for it. And for everyone to enjoy the film in the way they want to enjoy it.

Although preferably not while munching on a turtle sandwich...

That would be wrong...
It's okay, Sarah, I do understand. It's a tricky job to keep everything orderly and on-topic so that people can find what they want quickly and easily. It's easy for wires to get crossed or for people to take things the wrong way.

I am very curious at this turnaround in attitudes at the BBFC though. Has anything changed there recently? New examiners? New administration?
Sarah@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th April 2011, 02:40 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I am very curious at this turnaround in attitudes at the BBFC though. Has anything changed there recently? New examiners? New administration?
I don't know... But what ever they're on, I want some of it!

Old 12th April 2011, 02:46 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I do wonder if the complaints received about proposed cuts to Inferno and Deep Red have altered their position somewhat. By that I mean that they always state that they go with public attitudes and opinions, maybe they feel that attitudes towards these old films have changed significantly enough for them to alter their stance and reinterpret the Cinematograph Act. Purely speculative, of course, but it does make you wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
I don't know... But what ever they're on, I want some of it!

BBFC = Big Bags of Fine Cannabis.

I'll get my coat on the way out......

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 12th April 2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Posts merged - 2 in quick succession.
Old 13th April 2011, 01:58 AM
Cultist

Well! Techinically I don't think they're obliged to cut DVDs under that act, it only applies to movies at the cinema. But they do apply it to DVDs under their guidelines... Not so sure how they do it now after this!
Old 13th April 2011, 07:27 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I wrote to them a while ago asking why they apply the act to DVDs, BDs and other formats designed for home viewing and they replied that the Video Recordings Act (1984) makes the Cinematograph Act (Animals) applicable to those as well as films for public display.
Old 13th April 2011, 08:39 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I wrote to them a while ago asking why they apply the act to DVDs, BDs and other formats designed for home viewing and they replied that the Video Recordings Act (1984) makes the Cinematograph Act (Animals) applicable to those as well as films for public display.
That's interesting - I didn't know that! So a newer law makes the older law applicable to something it didn't (or couldn't) apply to in the first place?

Talk about retrospective continuity!
Old 13th April 2011, 03:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

At the time of the Video Recordings Act, the BBFC sought advice from the Home Office regarding the Cinematograph Act and were told that this Act should also be applied to home video.
Old 13th April 2011, 04:58 PM
Cultist

Having recently revisted the uncut version of Cannibal Holocaust the muskrat scene is still hard to watch but the turtle scene I still had to fast forward through!
Old 13th April 2011, 05:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Well this is pretty astonishing news and totally unexpected.

Having never seen the movie ( ) but know of its content and powerful reputation, I'll certainly be buying the BD of this. I won't miss the cut 14 seconds.

Arrow and Shameless are submitting films to the BBFC that, up until recently, would have had little or no chance of getting through ( Caligula, Island Of Death etc ).

Long may it continue!

Like this? Share it using the links below!