Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2011, 11:56 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I watched the muskrat scene last night on the old Cult Epics LD. It didnt seem to last 14 seconds, and it wasn't that nasty anyway compared to the turtle scene. Plus some of the muskrat entrails got eaten straight after. I think the BBFC are all arse about tit on this one (can I use those words on this forum? If not please substitute accordingly)
Old 14th April 2011, 12:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Just checked it myself, it's definitely 14 seconds, more like 16 seconds if they want to remove *all sight of the muskrat in distress before it's killed, judging by my Dutch release.

*From the moment it starts screeching in fear until the end of the scene is 16 seconds, can't imagine the BBFC will allow that distress to go uncut, but maybe they are more concerned with the actual killing of the muskrat.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:37 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Just checked it myself, it's definitely 14 seconds, more like 16 seconds if they want to remove *all sight of the muskrat in distress before it's killed, judging by my Dutch release.

*From the moment it starts screeching in fear until the end of the scene is 16 seconds, can't imagine the BBFC will allow that distress to go uncut, but maybe they are more concerned with the actual killing of the muskrat.
Yes, that seems about right - but that argument could aslo be extended to monkey scene where it was struggling and in distress before one the cannibals cut the top of its head off - why do the BBFC think thats OK but not the muskrat?
Old 14th April 2011, 01:16 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo37 View Post
Yes, that seems about right - but that argument could aslo be extended to monkey scene where it was struggling and in distress before one the cannibals cut the top of its head off - why do the BBFC think thats OK but not the muskrat?
A similar argument can be made about the way in which the turtle is hauled from the water, and the kicking of the pig before it's shot. It's a tricky situation, can one really measure distress from just a film image?
Old 14th April 2011, 01:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo37 View Post
They killed two monkeys. The first kill wasn't good enough apparently so they had to do a retake. As for your question about the BBFC, I've really no idea, haha! Hopefully someone else does, I'm guessing it's all down to the noise the muskrat makes and it's prolonged death. The monkey killing is fairly swift. And again, just to clarify, I think the main reason that the 14 seconds of the muskrat scene are being removed is because it wasn't eaten afterwards, whereas the other animals were.
Old 14th April 2011, 01:47 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
They killed two monkeys. The first kill wasn't good enough apparently so they had to do a retake. As for your question about the BBFC, I've really no idea, haha! Hopefully someone else does, I'm guessing it's all down to the noise the muskrat makes and it's prolonged death. The monkey killing is fairly swift. And again, just to clarify, I think the main reason that the 14 seconds of the muskrat scene are being removed is because it wasn't eaten afterwards, whereas the other animals were.
I thought the muskrat was eaten afterwards, by the cannibal taken prisoner? Ah well even when they are being lenient the BBFC still manage to baffle us!
Old 14th April 2011, 02:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

The animals that were killed were used as food, i.e actually eaten, quote -"as was normal practice in that part of the world". The muskrat was simply "sacrificed" (Deodato's words) and was never actually eaten. Carl Gabriel Yorke mentions this on the 'Alan Yates Uncovered' documentary which is included on the Grindhouse Releasing dvd. Though as I remember Yorke was unhappy about all the animal killings.
Old 14th April 2011, 10:57 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ultra destroyer View Post
14 seconds aint much at all i have got the uncut version to but you should be greatful for this blu ray release
Greatful?
I love the way members of this forum think of Arrow/Shameless as some kind of charity.

I'm pleased they are making the effort to get these films past the censor , but having had access to uncut movies for the best part of 20 years via dvd and laserdisc I'm not going to start buying censored films now, whether its 14 seconds or 14 minutes.

I shall buy the film on Bluray when I can get it uncut , and not until.

As others have said , I'll believe the BBFC have passed the uncut version with just 14 seconds of cuts when its in the stores.

To cut the muskrat scene but not the turtle scene is plain illogical.

The current version with 6 minutes of cuts was classified in 2008
Old 14th April 2011, 11:05 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtom View Post
Greatful?
I love the way members of this forum think of Arrow/Shameless as some kind of charity.

I'm pleased they are making the effort to get these films past the censor , but having had access to uncut movies for the best part of 20 years via dvd and laserdisc I'm not going to start buying censored films now, whether its 14 seconds or 14 minutes.

I shall buy the film on Bluray when I can get it uncut , and not until.

As others have said , I'll believe the BBFC have passed the uncut version with just 14 seconds of cuts when its in the stores.

To cut the muskrat scene but not the turtle scene is plain illogical.

The current version with 6 minutes of cuts was classified in 2008
And I love the way that almost all of your posts here are negative. Anything positive to say? Come on, there must be something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14th April 2011, 11:18 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
And I love the way that almost all of your posts here are negative. Anything positive to say? Come on, there must be something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My most recent Arrow purchase was The Beyond so clearly very little positive to say about that.

Before that it was Phenomena and Inferno .
I think my negativity on that was confined to the customary expected dreadful artwork .

My other comments relate to Arrows quite stupid decision to crop Argentos BWTCP - although the locking of the thread and the other posts show I'm not alone on that one but I am greatful that my Blue Underground dvd will now be so much easier to sell.

If you look through my posts properly you will see that I do give praise where its deserved.

I don't give praise for releasing uncut films on dvd that I've had uncut for a decade or more (in fact I don't comment on those as I don't buy them) nor releasing cut films on Bluray.

I was hoping that the forum was not created as an Arrow/Shameless lovefest despite numerous comments on other forums claiming otherwise .

For a long term horror fan the comments about being greatful for censored releases and buying titles just to keep Arrow in business are met with a smile more than anything else.

I buy films in their best version and I would have thought most others would too.
That immediately rules out cut films whether they are authorised by the director or not and whether thats footage or just the ratio .
I won't buy films in versions I don't want simply to keep Arrow in business.
If they were to close then somebody somewhere would meet the demand.

Sorry to sound negative all the time but I support Arrow where I can and when they release titles I want I'll buy them but I like to think that pointing out that I won't buy cut or cropped films would be met with Arrow perhaps thinking about their choices and as long as its within their power perhaps changing things .

Maybe I still hold a subsconsicous grudge against Arrow for their laughable releases of The Brood and Scanners all those years ago.

Like this? Share it using the links below!