Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2011, 03:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

WOW
awesome news!!!!

Cant wait to find out about the new cut!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 9th May 2011, 03:51 PM
Cult Rookie

Wow. I really never thought I'd see the day. Gobsmacked.
Haven't seen CH in years; the one I saw was a millionth generation pirated VHS which had been Frankenstein-ed together out of various different versions, and every time something really unpleasant was about to happen the film tinted green (spliced in from a *much* worse quality uncut version).
I've never felt the desire to watch the film again, for all the expected reasons, but am genuinely amazed to see it being released in this country with all (but one) of the 'green bits' (as I shall always think of them) in place..
Old 9th May 2011, 03:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

That's quite a milestone for the BBFC! Quite staggering, in fact. Good on Shamelesss for pursuing this title!

So, I'm still curious, will this change people's view of the film, as this means that the BBFC do not consider the treatment of the animals to be cruel (muskrat aside)?
Old 9th May 2011, 03:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
That's quite a milestone for the BBFC! Quite staggering, in fact. Good on Shamelesss for pursuing this title!

So, I'm still curious, will this change people's view of the film, as this means that the BBFC do not consider the treatment of the animals to be cruel (muskrat aside)?
Well I doubt what the BBFC think will influence people on such a subject.
People will always have views that they strongly stick by on topics such as that.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 9th May 2011, 03:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
*[I]While the original BBFC advice stated 14 seconds of cuts, this was only a rough estimate and was not calculated frame-to-frame. 15 seconds is the correct timeframe.
Unacceptable. Sorry, but 14 seconds was fine but 15? No way am I going near this! Disgraceful!

Seriously though, that's incredible. Uber-props to both Shameless and the BBFC for doing everything they can to bring an as-near-as-uncut-as-possible version of this film. It really is quite a monumental decision and excellent news for cult fans everywhere!
Old 9th May 2011, 04:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I think I said somewhere earlier in this thread that I didn't expect the full BBFC classification committee to go against the decision made by the advisory committee, but I didn't quite believe it myself!

This release will be groundbreaking for Cannibal Holocaust, horror films and film classification/censorship in Britain. This was certainly a bold move by Shameless and one that could have misfired badly, but they may have sensed something was changing at Soho Square and it was definitely worth pursuing this title.
Old 9th May 2011, 04:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I had my doubts whether the BBFC would take on board the advisory committee's recommendation for the 14 seconds of cuts, but this, as others have said is a true milestone in British censorship history!
Old 9th May 2011, 04:40 PM
Cultist

Excellent news, will definitely buy this. I still think the turtle scene is far worse than the muskrat!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 9th May 2011, 05:04 PM
Cult Rookie

Well done guys, a very impressive step against censorship and me the big wimp gets to be hypocritical and only see the "ok" animal cruelty.

To play devil's advocate, a great number of the old western movies that are now classic employed a huge amount of cruelty to the horses and yet because it is not explicitly portrayed, it has the veneer and sheen of everything being "ok", this being before the days of regulation in regard to animals on film sets, when a horse was tripped up by a strung lasso, this was not a special effect, a horse would have actually been tripped up, often times these animals would break their legs and have to be put down.

Just thought it would be an interesting consideration within the discussion of this inarguably controversial, yet fundamental and important piece of film-making, that I honestly believe, spawned the the modern pseudo documentary shockers that do so well at the box office.

Without Cannibal Holocaust, there is no Blair Witch, or Paranormal Activity, ( I am sure there is an example I am missing that even predates Cannibal Holocaust ).

This is in some ways a happy compromise, but a compromise nonetheless.

Congratulations.
Old 9th May 2011, 05:34 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I'm incredulous. As someone who's sat in Crown Court with a Barrister and tried to (unsuccessfully) defend my own copy of an uncut Cannibal Holocaust which had to be viewed in its entirety (although the judge ordered it to be screened on "fast forward"), to think this will now be up there in HMV pretty much next to an uncut Caligula and not far from an uncut Salo.... its out of this world.

15 seconds of muskrat ripping.... and the judge never once commented on that scene.

I wonder if there will be a Daily Mail backlash. The Cons are in power after all....

Like this? Share it using the links below!