Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree29Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12th May 2011, 12:16 PM
Rhodes's Avatar
Active Cultist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 270
Default

it's not based on it, i stand alone is a direct sequel. so if you've seen i stand alone you know the guy is a butcher. i really haven't spoiled anything for you there. watch carne it's great.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12th May 2011, 12:17 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Posts: 11,517
Blog Entries: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
it's not based on it, i stand alone is a direct sequel. so if you've seen i stand alone you know the guy is a butcher. i really haven't spoiled anything for you there. watch carne it's great.
when i get the chance.....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 13th May 2011, 09:21 PM
platostotal's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Berks.
Posts: 4,384
Default

first saw 'holocaust' back in pre VRA days, late 83 i think, liked it then and only got an uncut version of it few years ago, can't argue that the animal scenes are anything but repugnent...but, what the film has to say is even more relevant today than 30 years ago, give it a shot when it comes out in sep. you can always ff past the turtle scene, i did that myself when i watched it few days ago, only my opinion but it may be seen as a very important genre film indeed, can't say the same about 'ferox' tho, if you find 'holocaust' too much to take best stay clear of lenzi's gore fest, but as i said 'holocaust' deserves a go.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:16 AM
Cult Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 22
Default

my views on the film being cut are still not any different because I watched the screening for the re-release of Cannibal Holocaust at Cine-Excess and I noticed that even though all the other scenes have been put intact besides the muskrat scene, the turtle and monkey scenes were still censored. I was still disappointed with how the BBFC are still being difficult with the animal cruelty scenes.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 2nd June 2011, 07:28 AM
PaulD's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 6,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamthehorrorfan View Post
my views on the film being cut are still not any different because I watched the screening for the re-release of Cannibal Holocaust at Cine-Excess and I noticed that even though all the other scenes have been put intact besides the muskrat scene, the turtle and monkey scenes were still censored. I was still disappointed with how the BBFC are still being difficult with the animal cruelty scenes.

Was this version not Deodato's new animal cruelty-free though? Since reading that BBC interview with him I'm a bit confused about which version was shown at Cine-Excess since I wasn't there. It was my understanding that 2 versions will be on the Shameless release - the new edit which is cruelty-free and the longer edit which has everything except for the muskrat scene. Is this still going to be the case?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:33 AM
Sarah@Cult Labs's Avatar
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 2,302
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Was this version not Deodato's new animal cruelty-free though? Since reading that BBC interview with him I'm a bit confused about which version was shown at Cine-Excess since I wasn't there. It was my understanding that 2 versions will be on the Shameless release - the new edit which is cruelty-free and the longer edit which has everything except for the muskrat scene. Is this still going to be the case?
That's correct, Paul. The version screened at Cine Excess was Deodato's new edit.

The Shameless release will have both versions of the film - the new edit and the long edit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 5th June 2011, 12:56 PM
mikeliriarte's Avatar
Cult Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Leeds
Posts: 5
Default Deodato did wrong

wait, wait, wait, wait. so they've removed the death of the muskrat but not the tarantula machete scene? this makes no sense. i think the way the film-makers behaved (and it's pretty inarguable that animals were harmed for the purposes of Cannibal Holocaust) is quite disgraceful and it's mainly for this reason that I don't rate the film as highly as some. There are always more creative solutions to these kinds of problems. in terms of censorship and taste, well the BFI have a PG cerificate on a documentary called The Animal Film which is basically a collection of stock footage of experiments conducted on animals. it's truly awful but the fact remains that the audience are quite capable of deciding what is within their boundaries of taste. The Animal Film is designed to be informative which marks it out slightly from Cannibal Holocaust but certainly people are aware of animal cruelty, it's entirely up to them if they want to watch it. however, if it's presented as fictitious (a la Cannibal Holocaust) I think an audience should be made very aware that ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PICTURE because I believe the ethics of the film-makers in this instance are in all the wrong places and they should be judged accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 5th June 2011, 07:25 PM
platostotal's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Berks.
Posts: 4,384
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeliriarte View Post
wait, wait, wait, wait. so they've removed the death of the muskrat but not the tarantula machete scene? this makes no sense. i think the way the film-makers behaved (and it's pretty inarguable that animals were harmed for the purposes of Cannibal Holocaust) is quite disgraceful and it's mainly for this reason that I don't rate the film as highly as some. There are always more creative solutions to these kinds of problems. in terms of censorship and taste, well the BFI have a PG cerificate on a documentary called The Animal Film which is basically a collection of stock footage of experiments conducted on animals. it's truly awful but the fact remains that the audience are quite capable of deciding what is within their boundaries of taste. The Animal Film is designed to be informative which marks it out slightly from Cannibal Holocaust but certainly people are aware of animal cruelty, it's entirely up to them if they want to watch it. however, if it's presented as fictitious (a la Cannibal Holocaust) I think an audience should be made very aware that ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PICTURE because I believe the ethics of the film-makers in this instance are in all the wrong places and they should be judged accordingly.
No one forces you to buy or watch it. An 18 rated notorious video nasty is never gonna be watched by a large portion of the population, so let us sit back and enjoy Deodato' finest. The funny thing is I don't like the animal scenes myself, but I still rate it very highly indeed. But I agree that some will never find it palatable. I used to know a couple of guys involved in animal rights demo's, they would be even more assertive than you. So we'll agree to differ, whatever you do don't watch 'Ferox' you'll find that even more objectionable.
__________________
"Mama... this Cult Labs forum smells of death"
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 5th June 2011, 07:35 PM
platostotal's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Berks.
Posts: 4,384
Cool

Big sorry to 'Mikeliriarte' for the above. Forgot this thread was about your opinions and not about 'Holocaust' in general. We should always express ourselves freely here. Me bad, have a like on me.
__________________
"Mama... this Cult Labs forum smells of death"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.