Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2011, 12:16 PM
Active Cultist

it's not based on it, i stand alone is a direct sequel. so if you've seen i stand alone you know the guy is a butcher. i really haven't spoiled anything for you there. watch carne it's great.
Old 12th May 2011, 12:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
it's not based on it, i stand alone is a direct sequel. so if you've seen i stand alone you know the guy is a butcher. i really haven't spoiled anything for you there. watch carne it's great.
when i get the chance.....
Old 13th May 2011, 09:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

first saw 'holocaust' back in pre VRA days, late 83 i think, liked it then and only got an uncut version of it few years ago, can't argue that the animal scenes are anything but repugnent...but, what the film has to say is even more relevant today than 30 years ago, give it a shot when it comes out in sep. you can always ff past the turtle scene, i did that myself when i watched it few days ago, only my opinion but it may be seen as a very important genre film indeed, can't say the same about 'ferox' tho, if you find 'holocaust' too much to take best stay clear of lenzi's gore fest, but as i said 'holocaust' deserves a go.
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:16 AM
Cult Rookie

my views on the film being cut are still not any different because I watched the screening for the re-release of Cannibal Holocaust at Cine-Excess and I noticed that even though all the other scenes have been put intact besides the muskrat scene, the turtle and monkey scenes were still censored. I was still disappointed with how the BBFC are still being difficult with the animal cruelty scenes.
Old 2nd June 2011, 07:28 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamthehorrorfan View Post
my views on the film being cut are still not any different because I watched the screening for the re-release of Cannibal Holocaust at Cine-Excess and I noticed that even though all the other scenes have been put intact besides the muskrat scene, the turtle and monkey scenes were still censored. I was still disappointed with how the BBFC are still being difficult with the animal cruelty scenes.

Was this version not Deodato's new animal cruelty-free though? Since reading that BBC interview with him I'm a bit confused about which version was shown at Cine-Excess since I wasn't there. It was my understanding that 2 versions will be on the Shameless release - the new edit which is cruelty-free and the longer edit which has everything except for the muskrat scene. Is this still going to be the case?
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:33 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Was this version not Deodato's new animal cruelty-free though? Since reading that BBC interview with him I'm a bit confused about which version was shown at Cine-Excess since I wasn't there. It was my understanding that 2 versions will be on the Shameless release - the new edit which is cruelty-free and the longer edit which has everything except for the muskrat scene. Is this still going to be the case?
That's correct, Paul. The version screened at Cine Excess was Deodato's new edit.

The Shameless release will have both versions of the film - the new edit and the long edit.
Old 5th June 2011, 12:56 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Deodato did wrong

wait, wait, wait, wait. so they've removed the death of the muskrat but not the tarantula machete scene? this makes no sense. i think the way the film-makers behaved (and it's pretty inarguable that animals were harmed for the purposes of Cannibal Holocaust) is quite disgraceful and it's mainly for this reason that I don't rate the film as highly as some. There are always more creative solutions to these kinds of problems. in terms of censorship and taste, well the BFI have a PG cerificate on a documentary called The Animal Film which is basically a collection of stock footage of experiments conducted on animals. it's truly awful but the fact remains that the audience are quite capable of deciding what is within their boundaries of taste. The Animal Film is designed to be informative which marks it out slightly from Cannibal Holocaust but certainly people are aware of animal cruelty, it's entirely up to them if they want to watch it. however, if it's presented as fictitious (a la Cannibal Holocaust) I think an audience should be made very aware that ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PICTURE because I believe the ethics of the film-makers in this instance are in all the wrong places and they should be judged accordingly.
Old 5th June 2011, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeliriarte View Post
wait, wait, wait, wait. so they've removed the death of the muskrat but not the tarantula machete scene? this makes no sense. i think the way the film-makers behaved (and it's pretty inarguable that animals were harmed for the purposes of Cannibal Holocaust) is quite disgraceful and it's mainly for this reason that I don't rate the film as highly as some. There are always more creative solutions to these kinds of problems. in terms of censorship and taste, well the BFI have a PG cerificate on a documentary called The Animal Film which is basically a collection of stock footage of experiments conducted on animals. it's truly awful but the fact remains that the audience are quite capable of deciding what is within their boundaries of taste. The Animal Film is designed to be informative which marks it out slightly from Cannibal Holocaust but certainly people are aware of animal cruelty, it's entirely up to them if they want to watch it. however, if it's presented as fictitious (a la Cannibal Holocaust) I think an audience should be made very aware that ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PICTURE because I believe the ethics of the film-makers in this instance are in all the wrong places and they should be judged accordingly.
No one forces you to buy or watch it. An 18 rated notorious video nasty is never gonna be watched by a large portion of the population, so let us sit back and enjoy Deodato' finest. The funny thing is I don't like the animal scenes myself, but I still rate it very highly indeed. But I agree that some will never find it palatable. I used to know a couple of guys involved in animal rights demo's, they would be even more assertive than you. So we'll agree to differ, whatever you do don't watch 'Ferox' you'll find that even more objectionable.
Old 5th June 2011, 07:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Big sorry to 'Mikeliriarte' for the above. Forgot this thread was about your opinions and not about 'Holocaust' in general. We should always express ourselves freely here. Me bad, have a like on me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!