Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2011, 09:02 AM
Ex-Member

Firstly this may be a topic thats been dragged over the ashes on here, but I'm new to this site and now regret asking about stuff if people take the high brow and say its all been discussed. Not every horror fan is as hardcore as another. However Daemonia you have answered questions directly and to the point so thanks.
I agree with what you say about Deodato. I wasn't shock overall by the film when I first seen it (besides the animals, although vipco cut most of that). The only film that left me in a state of shock and utterly speechless after a first viewing was Superman 4....utterly shocked and utterly speechless...
Old 26th September 2011, 09:04 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I'm going to merge this thread with the debates already existing on Cannibal Holocaust... Although, to be honest, I'm with Daemonia - I don't see that there's much left to say!
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:20 AM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
I'm going to merge this thread with the debates already existing on Cannibal Holocaust... Although, to be honest, I'm with Daemonia - I don't see that there's much left to say!
A

As I have said, there may not be much left to say, but since I'm new here I havent heard what anyone has said. That was until I posted this thread. Now I understand.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:26 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
A

As I have said, there may not be much left to say, but since I'm new here I havent heard what anyone has said. That was until I posted this thread. Now I understand.
That's cool and sorry if I seemed dismissive.

As you can see from other posts in this thread (now I've merged yours with it), the animal cruelty debate can have a tendency to get a bit heated which is why people are reluctant to start it up afresh! Last time we all didn't speak for weeks. It got messy. There were tears.

In future though, I'd suggest searching for topics (there's a search menu at the top of the page) to see if there's an existing thread before posting a new one. That way you can see what others have already said and add to it.
Prince_Vajda and Rassilon like this.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:43 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
A

I understand where you're coming from, being new to the site. I also didn't mean to seem dismissive but, as Sarah pointed out, the debate can get quite heated and I'm usually in the middle of it, so now I'm taking a different tack and keeping out of it!
Old 26th September 2011, 06:36 PM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I understand where you're coming from, being new to the site. I also didn't mean to seem dismissive but, as Sarah pointed out, the debate can get quite heated and I'm usually in the middle of it, so now I'm taking a different tack and keeping out of it!
Thanks Daemonia. I suggest you check out the Guardian newspaper website who have reviewed the film. The review isn't too bad. But the comments from people who haven't seen the film, are more shocking than anything in it. Comments that remind me of the actual video nasties hayday.
Old 28th September 2011, 01:48 PM
Cultist in Training

Hi all. I'm in a somewhat peculiar predicament to most of the members on here, and thats I have never seen CH (because of the notorious animal slaughter), even at the grand old age of 41 and I'm in a total quandary as to whether I should now, after all this time, go for it or just leave it be

I actually had CH on pre-order a few weeks back, but ended up cancelling at the last minute. Comments that I'd read beforehand like "I wish I could un-see it" & "a film that will haunt me for the rest of my life" made me question whether I could even now, being an old git, handle viewing it. Watching this version is pretty much tantamount to watching the full uncut version (which I avoided for years). Hearing Ratty scream will be just as unbearable as watching it die for me. And lets not even talk about the 'Come Dine With Me' turtle scene
So why do I want to see the film then? Because being a huge horror fan I've always felt left out because I hadn't seen the Daddy of horror movies ("where the cannibals really killed people on film!" ). Now though, since the BBFC deemed CH fit for a UK release I've almost gone schizo with one part of me saying "you can buy it in HMV! Don't be such a cissy!" whilst the other part says "are you really sure you want to do this?".

I'm not expecting anyone but myself to answer my own question, but I thought my predicament pretty much summed up the title of this thread 'Has the BBFC decision changed your opinion of CH?', because it has in a way. Now I feel like my own parents have turned around and said "go on then son, you can watch this film now". But do I want to?

P.S. I should point out that its only the animal slaughter that keeps me dithering. Special effects, however realistic and depraved, I can differentiate with. I think I was eating a sarnie when that nipple got sliced in NYR
Old 28th September 2011, 02:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
Hi all. I'm in a somewhat peculiar predicament to most of the members on here, and thats I have never seen CH (because of the notorious animal slaughter), even at the grand old age of 41 and I'm in a total quandary as to whether I should now, after all this time, go for it or just leave it be

I actually had CH on pre-order a few weeks back, but ended up cancelling at the last minute. Comments that I'd read beforehand like "I wish I could un-see it" & "a film that will haunt me for the rest of my life" made me question whether I could even now, being an old git, handle viewing it. Watching this version is pretty much tantamount to watching the full uncut version (which I avoided for years). Hearing Ratty scream will be just as unbearable as watching it die for me. And lets not even talk about the 'Come Dine With Me' turtle scene
So why do I want to see the film then? Because being a huge horror fan I've always felt left out because I hadn't seen the Daddy of horror movies ("where the cannibals really killed people on film!" ). Now though, since the BBFC deemed CH fit for a UK release I've almost gone schizo with one part of me saying "you can buy it in HMV! Don't be such a cissy!" whilst the other part says "are you really sure you want to do this?".

I'm not expecting anyone but myself to answer my own question, but I thought my predicament pretty much summed up the title of this thread 'Has the BBFC decision changed your opinion of CH?', because it has in a way. Now I feel like my own parents have turned around and said "go on then son, you can watch this film now". But do I want to?

P.S. I should point out that its only the animal slaughter that keeps me dithering. Special effects, however realistic and depraved, I can differentiate with. I think I was eating a sarnie when that nipple got sliced in NYR
Hmmm... All these years later and it is still disturbing to watch, despite the BBFC's new decision. The one big benefit you now have for the first time in over 30 years is to be able to rent it in a strong version. It's an important film and it's also a very good one. If you're really unsure but feel lured in, my suggestion would be to rent it and be ready to press the stop button.
Old 28th September 2011, 02:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

If it helps I was surprised at how much of the animal slaughter was retained in the new edit. It cuts just as the knife hits the turtle, similarly with the monkey. I found it still pretty hard to watch
Old 28th September 2011, 03:24 PM
Cultist in Training

Thanks for the replies (glad I wasn't shouted down with "we've done this discussion, PETA-boy!!"). Think I'll hold back on the Blu-ray. Rental might be the better option.

I appreciate some people might consider me a hypocrite (ie: if I loathed cruelty to animals so much I would boycott CH period) and I totally understand that argument. But I guess there's a small amount of the Pandoras Box about this movie to me, I know I don't want to look, but.....

And the other argument is that, save the few scenes of animal slaughter, there's a genuinely disturbing* horror film in there (so I'm lead to believe!) that I'm missing. I'm reasonably sure that I will get around to watching it. Though I think it'll be more akin to a gruelling rite of passage for me (finger hovering over the off button on the remote), than a cozy night in on the sofa. Damn you BBFC, why did you decide to stop mothering me now?!

* I realise that the film is all the more disturbing because of the animal slaughter, which makes it a Catch-22 for me

Like this? Share it using the links below!