Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Cannibal Holocaust (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Has the BBFC decision changed your opinion of Cannibal Holocaust? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cannibal-holocaust/5599-has-bbfc-decision-changed-your-opinion-cannibal-holocaust.html)

Daemonia 22nd November 2011 03:38 PM

Nice to hear from someone new to the film and their reaction to it. It's an undeniably powerful film, but it's a film that's been with me for so long now, I sometimes think my objectivity may be lacking a bit. Nice to know the film still has the power to shock, just as it should. I must admit, it's one of the very select few films that has left me speechless and in a state of shock. It's potent, visceral stuff and packs a real punch. Even if some of the 'techniques' employed are somewhat questionable.

Sobral 22nd November 2011 10:59 PM

First time I rented it on VHS I saw it 3 times, in less than 24h :)
Never happened with any other film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th November 2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scribbler (Post 198962)
If I have one complaint (other than the animal stuff) is that I felt that the musical soundtrack pulled me out of the film a little, making me feel less like I was watching real discovered footage, and more like a was watching a film. I don't know if that makes sense as such? I think I was expecting something similar to Blair Witch, with no music or credits etc. Though on hindsight, perhaps it was better to be reminded that I was indeed watching a film after-all!

That's a great observation and quite possibly one which Riz Ortolani and Ruggero Deodato were looking for. It does draw you in, shock with its incredible power and then suddenly says 'That was old footage'.

Cannibal Holocaust is generally regarded as the first 'found footage' film and was released a long time before such films as The Blair Witch Project, [REC] and Cloverfield, so is really a genre defining film.

Calum 25th November 2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 199978)

Cannibal Holocaust is generally regarded as the first 'found footage' film

Punishment Park to thread:

Punishment park (1971) trailer - YouTube

scribbler 9th December 2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 200029)
Punishment Park to thread:

Punishment park (1971) trailer - YouTube

I have the Masters of Cinema dvd of this. Bleak little pseudo-documentary.

From Wiki : "The panic reaction of the film team, believing that the actors dropping down had been shot for real, is genuine."

scribbler 9th December 2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 199978)
That's a great observation and quite possibly one which Riz Ortolani and Ruggero Deodato were looking for. It does draw you in, shock with its incredible power and then suddenly says 'That was old footage'.

Can you imagine how relaxed the viewers must have felt on it's original release as that theme tune played and the beautiful scenery floated by, with absolutely no idea of what was coming after?! :fear:

Daemonia 9th December 2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scribbler (Post 202649)
Can you imagine how relaxed the viewers must have felt on it's original release as that theme tune played and the beautiful scenery floated by, with absolutely no idea of what was coming after?! :fear:

I think the title of the film probably gave it away, mate. If you go into a film called Cannibal Holocaust expecting Disney, then there's something wrong with you. :lol:

scribbler 9th December 2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 202651)
I think the title of the film probably gave it away, mate. If you go into a film called Cannibal Holocaust expecting Disney, then there's something wrong with you. :lol:

Touché! :laugh: