Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2011, 04:07 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Cinema Head Cheese

Here's my review:

Cinema Head Cheese: Movie Review: Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray, Shameless)

I guess I must be blind because I thought it looked damn good. Very cool release!
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:06 AM
Cult Rookie

What's that old phrase? 'Opinions are like aresholes - everyone has one' and that is his - I dont agree with it either, but it does come across as one of those many attacks the film received in the 80s with the video nasty scandals. Its a horror film, its meant to be disturbing.
Old 3rd October 2011, 01:25 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
It's not about criticising him for having an opinion, it's the way he expressed that opinion that pissed me off.

For instance, he hints at the fact that there must be something wrong with people who are fans of the movie:

You see he's not just attacking the film, he's attacking those that have respect for the film. That's far off his remit as a reviewer. To suggest that there's something 'wrong' with 'fans' of the film is insulting and unnecessary.

He also says this:

Now, you see, he's just outright lying. What he's doing is manipulating his privilege of being a 'reviewer' and encouraging people not to buy the Blu-ray. This is harmful to Shameless as a business. If what he said was true, I could be more forgiving, but he's simply lying in an effort to cause lost sales for Shameless. I wasn't going to let that stand. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's quite another to tell a pack of lies in order to validate that viewpoint. Which is precisley what he does. Seriously, do you really believe that Shameless would put out a Blu-ray that looks worse than a VHS tape? Really? Do you? Because that's what Stu Cummins is saying in his review. Do you believe him? If you don't, that leaves only one option open. That he's telling a pack of lies. So which is it - truth or lies?

Oh, and a note to Shameless, if you supply this website with promo material for review, I'd suggest you stop doing that. They're obviously only going to cause harm to prospective sales and are incapable of being objective or truthful.
I think you're giving him more attention than he's due, i for one couldn't give a monkey's what he thinks of me or what he thinks of the film, a lot of people think these films are crap (sometimes even the people that worked on them) i'm used to reading reviews that think these films are crap, i'm sure everyone on these forums have read the same reviews and heard the same opinion from people they know but i couldn't care less i like them and that's all that matters. His unfounded attack on the transfer of the film on to Blu-Ray is obviously due to the fact that he doesn't like the film, i think most people knew that's what was happening. Cannibal Holocaust is never going to be the film that the masses run out and buy it's always going to be people like me that have an interest in these types of films that are going to be the core customer, this bloke whom i've never heard of has slagged the film off, so what? who cares? as a reviewer he's never going to put Kim Newman out of work, i can't imagine any would be purchaser would be put off by what some nobody thinks, if i would've paid any attention to the reviews i've read on these films i wouldn't have even seen them let alone buy them.
I think on balance the net is good for independent distributors as forums like these allow distributors to know what their customers want and also be kept up to date on what's coming out soon that's why i visit these forums, these things were more difficult before the net.

If i was Shameless i wouldn't give him any promo material either because he obviously has no interest whatsoever in these films if he did he'd realise the importance of Cannibal Holocaust within this genre and the significance of this film being released in this country almost uncut.
Old 7th October 2011, 02:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
I left a comment after reading that review. I called him a liar, which he is. To say the BD looks like a worn VHS is a complete lie and so renders his whole review worthless. And I've told him so. Told him if anything was shit, it's his review. Bet he won't be happy!
Quote:
It's not about criticising him for having an opinion, it's the way he expressed that opinion that pissed me off.

For instance, he hints at the fact that there must be something wrong with people who are fans of the movie:

You see he's not just attacking the film, he's attacking those that have respect for the film. That's far off his remit as a reviewer. To suggest that there's something 'wrong' with 'fans' of the film is insulting and unnecessary.

He also says this:

Now, you see, he's just outright lying. What he's doing is manipulating his privilege of being a 'reviewer' and encouraging people not to buy the Blu-ray. This is harmful to Shameless as a business. If what he said was true, I could be more forgiving, but he's simply lying in an effort to cause lost sales for Shameless. I wasn't going to let that stand. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's quite another to tell a pack of lies in order to validate that viewpoint. Which is precisley what he does. Seriously, do you really believe that Shameless would put out a Blu-ray that looks worse than a VHS tape? Really? Do you? Because that's what Stu Cummins is saying in his review. Do you believe him? If you don't, that leaves only one option open. That he's telling a pack of lies. So which is it - truth or lies?

Oh, and a note to Shameless, if you supply this website with promo material for review, I'd suggest you stop doing that. They're obviously only going to cause harm to prospective sales and are incapable of being objective or truthful.

I've just read your last two posts on the subject and your comment on this poor creature's website - excellent!

Writing harsh (or even primitive) reviews is one thing - but telling lies about a release or a film is not acceptable!

Greetings!
Old 7th October 2011, 10:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

My review of this important Shameless release:

cannibal holocaust
Old 20th October 2011, 02:36 PM
Cultist

I finally got around to watching this last night. I had no idea what I was in for, really. I must admit I got caught up in all the hype of violence. I could have done without the turtle and monkey scenes, but it was otherwise a really fantastic film.

Admittedly I enjoyed the first half a lot more but the second half was also very enjoyable. It's easy to see why it's uncut now, even if the BBFC do normally shit themselves over sexualised violence. So glad I finally saw it and I can't wait for the announcement of the 4th blu.
Old 20th October 2011, 04:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

My copy came last night (cheers Sarah!) and I'll be giving it a spin at the weekend! I can't see my girlfriend being up for it, so I'll watch it on Saturday night whilst she's at PWEI!
Sarah@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th October 2011, 05:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Saw the BD yesterday too, and then tried my old DVD, just to check the difference, miles apart!!
What a great job Shameless did, the sky and every detail in the jungle looks amazing, without looking artificial.
Old 20th October 2011, 06:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
My copy came last night (cheers Sarah!) and I'll be giving it a spin at the weekend! I can't see my girlfriend being up for it, so I'll watch it on Saturday night whilst she's at PWEI!
Your girlfriend has the best out of the deal. I love PWEI.
Old 20th October 2011, 06:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Who or what is PWEI?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!