Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2011, 04:02 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default SHAM031 / SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The Reviews

Not long until one of the most controversial films is released by Shameless in the UK! So, here's a thread dedicated to any new reviews of this DVD/Blu-ray.

Kicking it off we have one straight from The Guardian - Cannibal Holocaust: 'Keep filming! Kill more people!' | Film | The Guardian

It's interesting too see how things have changed (or not) since the witchhunt Video Nasty craze of the 80s.

Came across any reviews for this upcoming release? Let us know on this thread!
nekromantik and Anth like this.
Old 16th September 2011, 05:12 PM
Cultist

Apologies if this this the wrong thread to ask, but on release if anyone can possibly take some screen grabs of the blu-ray, and also possibly the previous releases (particularly the EC Entertainment Ultrabit) to see how the PQ compares.

I own this movie four times on DVD, my most double dipped movie, and for a 5th buy it would be helpful to see if the PQ is in any way nicer than the Ultrabit DVD which is by far the best to date in my opinion.
Old 16th September 2011, 05:40 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
Apologies if this this the wrong thread to ask, but on release if anyone can possibly take some screen grabs of the blu-ray, and also possibly the previous releases (particularly the EC Entertainment Ultrabit) to see how the PQ compares.

I own this movie four times on DVD, my most double dipped movie, and for a 5th buy it would be helpful to see if the PQ is in any way nicer than the Ultrabit DVD which is by far the best to date in my opinion.

Hi there Anth - I'll stick up some screenshots from the upcoming release in a new thread in just a mo.
Anth likes this.
Old 21st September 2011, 01:49 AM
Active Cultist

DVDBeaver
Anth likes this.
Old 22nd September 2011, 06:10 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Nice review over at McBastard's Mausoleum!
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

im surprised dvdbeaver did not have any bluray screenshots.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:32 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
im surprised dvdbeaver did not have any bluray screenshots.
Agree, there is little point in comparing any more DVD's for this movie in my opinion since the Grindhouse and EC Entertainment Superbit DVDs are clearly the best this will ever look on DVD.

All they needed to say was the Shameless DVD was on a par with them and then concentrate on comparing the previous DVD's with the Blu-Ray.
Old 23rd September 2011, 03:31 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
Agree, there is little point in comparing any more DVD's for this movie in my opinion since the Grindhouse and EC Entertainment Superbit DVDs are clearly the best this will ever look on DVD.

All they needed to say was the Shameless DVD was on a par with them and then concentrate on comparing the previous DVD's with the Blu-Ray.
Yeah, DVDs are coasters! (I think that's the appropriate smile)

Actually, I wasn't expecting to get the DVD edition for review. I requested a Blu copy for one of the DVDBeaver Blu reviewers and I set up the comparison by picking out the Grindhouse caps, posters, and writing the film review up top (although I get the feeling no one actually reads those) and commenting on the US DVD. When I received the DVD check discs, I thought there was some confusion but I was told that the Blu was indeed sent out. Since it had not arrived after a week, I matched the Grindhouse and Shameless caps and we put up the early review.

I was just emailed this morning that Blu arrived today so the Shameless Blu-Ray caps and comments should be up this weekend or Monday. I'll post the link again when it is upgraded (although I think the URL should still be the same).

As for the utility of the DVD comparison, I think there are people who do not consider the DVD release a mere concession, and would like to see the movie now rather than future-proof their collection with Blu-Rays they can't watch yet (although I must admit that I have foregone a couple DVD editions and bought some Blus that I get to watch on my younger brother's PS3 - I'm not a gamer - perhaps every other weekend).
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I put my review of the BD up today - Cannibal Holocaust Blu-ray Review
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I put my review of the BD up today - Cannibal Holocaust Blu-ray Review
Great review Nos! Glad to see the PQ is of a high standard. The absence of subtitles on the feature is a little odd (although makes sense given the reason you stated) but since there's no commentary on the feature the lack of subtitles isn't an issue fo rme (whenever watching a film with commentary I always like to have the subtitles on)

Like this? Share it using the links below!