Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2011, 12:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten View Post
I think either his player or tv is ****ed, or the disc he has is defective!
My guess would be that the reviewer himself is defective!

Greetings!
Amertume, Rotten and platostotal like this.
Old 30th September 2011, 07:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Oddly enough there's a review of Cannibal Holocaust in the Daily Mirror today! How times have changed!
Old 30th September 2011, 07:46 PM
Ex-Member

It's because lots of idiots think Blu Ray is a magical device that makes Metropolis suddenly look like Irobot. He probs thought cos it was BD it would look as sharp as Avatar...well it is set in a forest after all.
Old 1st October 2011, 11:05 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
My guess would be that the reviewer himself is defective!

Greetings!
Agreed, Prince.... I posted under his review the same thing i said here, wonder if i got a slating by him..........He wouldnt know a good film transfer if it Ripped his head off and shit down his neck!
Old 1st October 2011, 11:53 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm-in-the-morning View Post
WOW! This guy wasn't happy!

Blu-ray Review: CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST

His comments on the video quality are ridiculous. I think the film clearly upset him but he can't bring himself to admit it so rants rather strangely.
I left a comment after reading that review. I called him a liar, which he is. To say the BD looks like a worn VHS is a complete lie and so renders his whole review worthless. And I've told him so. Told him if anything was shit, it's his review. Bet he won't be happy!
Old 1st October 2011, 12:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I don't know what disc he watched but my BD looks and sounds stunning, as does the DVD equivalent from Shameless, clearly he's an idiot and should stick to reviewing Hollywood trash

Violence is Italian Art
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st October 2011, 12:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I left a comment after reading that review. I called him a liar, which he is. To say the BD looks like a worn VHS is a complete lie and so renders his whole review worthless. And I've told him so. Told him if anything was shit, it's his review. Bet he won't be happy!
I've just read it. Fantastic rant!
Old 1st October 2011, 12:47 PM
Cult Rookie

There's seems to be a lot of anger directed at this reviewer, i don't agree with his opinion either but surely he's allowed to post his opinion, him comparing the picture to being like a worn out VHS is obviously nonsense i've had Cannibal Holocaust in many incarnations over the last 20 years (Belgian VHS, Dutch VHS, Dutch DVD and the Ultrabit DVD) but i thought the bit rate on the Blu-ray was pretty low when compared to contemporary releases but this is probably due to fact nearly 4 hours of HD data was stuffed on to one disc and the extras looked like it was upscaled SD this is why The Lord Of The Rings Blu-rays are split accross two discs i would've been more than happy to spend a bit more money to have the original film on a separate Blu-ray, the only way that products can be improved upon is if the consumer feels able to put forward an opinion if this didn't happen we'd still be watching panned and scanned VHS tapes but if someone feels like their going to get an avalanche of anger the minute they don't agree with the majority then they won't feel comfortable doing so.
Old 1st October 2011, 03:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw285 View Post
There's seems to be a lot of anger directed at this reviewer, i don't agree with his opinion either but surely he's allowed to post his opinion, him comparing the picture to being like a worn out VHS is obviously nonsense i've had Cannibal Holocaust in many incarnations over the last 20 years (Belgian VHS, Dutch VHS, Dutch DVD and the Ultrabit DVD) but i thought the bit rate on the Blu-ray was pretty low when compared to contemporary releases but this is probably due to fact nearly 4 hours of HD data was stuffed on to one disc and the extras looked like it was upscaled SD this is why The Lord Of The Rings Blu-rays are split accross two discs i would've been more than happy to spend a bit more money to have the original film on a separate Blu-ray, the only way that products can be improved upon is if the consumer feels able to put forward an opinion if this didn't happen we'd still be watching panned and scanned VHS tapes but if someone feels like their going to get an avalanche of anger the minute they don't agree with the majority then they won't feel comfortable doing so.
It's not about criticising him for having an opinion, it's the way he expressed that opinion that pissed me off.

For instance, he hints at the fact that there must be something wrong with people who are fans of the movie:

Quote:
This piece of tripe is really not worth purchasing, but if you do fancy it (or god forbid are actually a fan!), this Bluray release is bolstered by some engaging and informative special features. Nothing else makes this release worth renting, let alone purchasing!
You see he's not just attacking the film, he's attacking those that have respect for the film. That's far off his remit as a reviewer. To suggest that there's something 'wrong' with 'fans' of the film is insulting and unnecessary.

He also says this:

Quote:
Whoever convinced Shameless Screen Entertainment to release this on Blu-ray should be fired. The film is possibly the poorest transfer I have ever seen and a VHS would undoubtedly look better. Grain, distortion and a pixilated appearance mean that Cannibal Holocaust looks simply terrible in HD – perhaps this is a good thing though?
Now, you see, he's just outright lying. What he's doing is manipulating his privilege of being a 'reviewer' and encouraging people not to buy the Blu-ray. This is harmful to Shameless as a business. If what he said was true, I could be more forgiving, but he's simply lying in an effort to cause lost sales for Shameless. I wasn't going to let that stand. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's quite another to tell a pack of lies in order to validate that viewpoint. Which is precisley what he does. Seriously, do you really believe that Shameless would put out a Blu-ray that looks worse than a VHS tape? Really? Do you? Because that's what Stu Cummins is saying in his review. Do you believe him? If you don't, that leaves only one option open. That he's telling a pack of lies. So which is it - truth or lies?

Oh, and a note to Shameless, if you supply this website with promo material for review, I'd suggest you stop doing that. They're obviously only going to cause harm to prospective sales and are incapable of being objective or truthful.
Old 1st October 2011, 04:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well said, I'm a fan of this film which is why I bought it on both formats, and own 2 further uncut DVDs and the 1st edition of the fantastic Fab Press book about it. Clearly this guy isn't a fan but that's no reason to insult those of us, which I'm sure aren't a minority, that are fans. As for saying it's a poor quality transfer, absolute crap, it's the best it could look IMO and credit should go to the guys at Shameless for not only getting this through Soho Square with barely a cut, but for the overall package, same goes for HOTEOTP

Violence is Italian Art
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!