Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Cannibal Holocaust (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   SHAM031 / SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The Reviews (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cannibal-holocaust/6750-sham031-sham201-cannibal-holocaust-reviews.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 16th September 2011 04:02 PM

SHAM031 / SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The Reviews

Not long until one of the most controversial films is released by Shameless in the UK! So, here's a thread dedicated to any new reviews of this DVD/Blu-ray.

Kicking it off we have one straight from The Guardian - Cannibal Holocaust: 'Keep filming! Kill more people!' | Film | The Guardian

It's interesting too see how things have changed (or not) since the witchhunt Video Nasty craze of the 80s.

Came across any reviews for this upcoming release? Let us know on this thread!

Anth 16th September 2011 05:12 PM

Apologies if this this the wrong thread to ask, but on release if anyone can possibly take some screen grabs of the blu-ray, and also possibly the previous releases (particularly the EC Entertainment Ultrabit) to see how the PQ compares.

I own this movie four times on DVD, my most double dipped movie, and for a 5th buy it would be helpful to see if the PQ is in any way nicer than the Ultrabit DVD which is by far the best to date in my opinion.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 16th September 2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth (Post 181711)
Apologies if this this the wrong thread to ask, but on release if anyone can possibly take some screen grabs of the blu-ray, and also possibly the previous releases (particularly the EC Entertainment Ultrabit) to see how the PQ compares.

I own this movie four times on DVD, my most double dipped movie, and for a 5th buy it would be helpful to see if the PQ is in any way nicer than the Ultrabit DVD which is by far the best to date in my opinion.

Hi there Anth - I'll stick up some screenshots from the upcoming release in a new thread in just a mo. :)

ecc 21st September 2011 01:49 AM

DVDBeaver

Sarah@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 06:10 AM

Nice review over at McBastard's Mausoleum!

nekromantik 22nd September 2011 01:20 PM

im surprised dvdbeaver did not have any bluray screenshots.

Anth 22nd September 2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 183296)
im surprised dvdbeaver did not have any bluray screenshots.

Agree, there is little point in comparing any more DVD's for this movie in my opinion since the Grindhouse and EC Entertainment Superbit DVDs are clearly the best this will ever look on DVD.

All they needed to say was the Shameless DVD was on a par with them and then concentrate on comparing the previous DVD's with the Blu-Ray.

ecc 23rd September 2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth (Post 183348)
Agree, there is little point in comparing any more DVD's for this movie in my opinion since the Grindhouse and EC Entertainment Superbit DVDs are clearly the best this will ever look on DVD.

All they needed to say was the Shameless DVD was on a par with them and then concentrate on comparing the previous DVD's with the Blu-Ray.

Yeah, DVDs are coasters!:lol: (I think that's the appropriate smile)

Actually, I wasn't expecting to get the DVD edition for review. I requested a Blu copy for one of the DVDBeaver Blu reviewers and I set up the comparison by picking out the Grindhouse caps, posters, and writing the film review up top (although I get the feeling no one actually reads those) and commenting on the US DVD. When I received the DVD check discs, I thought there was some confusion but I was told that the Blu was indeed sent out. Since it had not arrived after a week, I matched the Grindhouse and Shameless caps and we put up the early review.

I was just emailed this morning that Blu arrived today so the Shameless Blu-Ray caps and comments should be up this weekend or Monday. I'll post the link again when it is upgraded (although I think the URL should still be the same).

As for the utility of the DVD comparison, I think there are people who do not consider the DVD release a mere concession, and would like to see the movie now rather than future-proof their collection with Blu-Rays they can't watch yet (although I must admit that I have foregone a couple DVD editions and bought some Blus that I get to watch on my younger brother's PS3 - I'm not a gamer - perhaps every other weekend).

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2011 04:52 PM

I put my review of the BD up today - Cannibal Holocaust Blu-ray Review

PaulD 23rd September 2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 183641)

Great review Nos! Glad to see the PQ is of a high standard. The absence of subtitles on the feature is a little odd (although makes sense given the reason you stated) but since there's no commentary on the feature the lack of subtitles isn't an issue fo rme (whenever watching a film with commentary I always like to have the subtitles on)

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd September 2011 05:03 PM

Nice review. Pity the documentary is narrated by Xavier Mendik though. :lol:

ecc 23rd September 2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 183642)
Great review Nos! Glad to see the PQ is of a high standard. The absence of subtitles on the feature is a little odd (although makes sense given the reason you stated) but since there's no commentary on the feature the lack of subtitles isn't an issue fo rme (whenever watching a film with commentary I always like to have the subtitles on)

That's odd. The Shameless DVD has English and Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio and English subtitles yet the Blu is listed in your review as having only DTS-MA 2.0 and Dolby Digital English tracks. That is an odd choice for Shameless, but I guess it might make the DVD more attractive if you want the Italian audio and English subs.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecc (Post 183645)
That's odd. The Shameless DVD has English and Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio and English subtitles yet the Blu is listed in your review as having only DTS-MA 2.0 and Dolby Digital English tracks. That is an odd choice for Shameless, but I guess it might make the DVD more attractive if you want the Italian audio and English subs.

That is strange - I wonder if the retail version is different to the review disc.

PaulD 23rd September 2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecc (Post 183645)

If I remember correctly, the dvd of the re-release of New York Ripper had a German audio track which was absent from the bluray.

ecc 23rd September 2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 183649)
That is strange - I wonder if the retail version is different to the review disc.

The review disc is a pressed check disc so I doubt Shameless - which is a small, though ambitious operation - would pay to have menus created before they finalized which audio tracks they were including (and paying to create an English subtitle translation). I guess it is a nice bonus for the DVD edition.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd September 2011 05:54 PM

I'm pleased I've ordered the DVD as well as the BD then!

nekromantik 23rd September 2011 07:54 PM

why would shameless omit something on the more expensive format.
makes no sense to me

Sobral 23rd September 2011 08:48 PM

The same here, being a non-native english speaker subtitles help a lot and have been very appreciated in the last Shameless releases, can't understand that decision either...
There's no way I'm buying yet another copy for the subs alone, I have already an uncut disc, I'm buying this mainly for the extras and because I like to support Shameless.

ecc 24th September 2011 05:34 PM

I'll post the review when it is finished.

ecc 24th September 2011 05:57 PM

Blu caps added: CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (Grindhouse DVD vs Shameless DVD vs Shameless Blu)

Splatterdragon73 25th September 2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 183641)

Another good review, Nos and it's nice that you also went for both the SD and HD editions of CH just like yours truly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobral (Post 183704)
I'm buying this mainly for the extras.

Me too otherwise i would've given this release a wide berth if no exclusive bonus material was evident.:)

Pete 25th September 2011 10:42 PM

10,000 Bullets » Cannibal Holocaust – Shameless Screen Entertainment (BluRay)

Black Gloves 26th September 2011 11:16 AM

My review from Horrorview.com

Cannibal Holocaust (1980) | UK Blu-ray Review | Horrorview.com

Sarah@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 12:52 PM

My brother's review over at Filmwerk.

Filmwerk » Cannibal Holocaust Blu-ray Review

Pete 27th September 2011 07:34 AM

Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix - Cannibal Holocaust

the blob 27th September 2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 184793)

Not giving the film itself much of a chance is he... Poor choice of reviewer.

Pete 27th September 2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 184822)
Not giving the film itself much of a chance is he... Poor choice of reviewer.

It's strange that he's critical of the sexual violence in this film but doesn't seem to have a problem with the NEW YORK RIPPER, which he gave 8/10.

Rotten 27th September 2011 11:57 AM

Personally, i give the dvd 10 out of 10.....it looks the best i have ever seen it, and the chance to hear the brilliant score so clearly is worth it alone. Definatly better than my uncut disc.

napalm-in-the-morning 27th September 2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotten (Post 184829)
Personally, i give the dvd 10 out of 10.....it looks the best i have ever seen it, and the chance to hear the brilliant score so clearly is worth it alone. Definatly better than my uncut disc.

Agree. I really don't see how anyone can bash the picture quality of this HD version. It's amazingly good and hammers the Grindhouse version in both colour and clarity. I actually thought the EC edition had a better picture than Grindhouse but I know I was in the minority over that view. I still wish there had been a commehntary on the Deodato re-edit though but on the whole, well done Shameless :clap:. It is a miracle that they got this through the BBFC and will surely set a new precident for a LOT of future re-releases. I wonder if the tabloids and mainstream press will carry any reviews or comments on the changing face of censorship that this release raises?

Pete 27th September 2011 12:26 PM

I also thought the EC version looked better than the Grindhouse release.

napalm-in-the-morning 27th September 2011 04:06 PM

WOW! This guy wasn't happy!

Blu-ray Review: CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST

His comments on the video quality are ridiculous. I think the film clearly upset him but he can't bring himself to admit it so rants rather strangely. :crazy:

antmumford 27th September 2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by napalm-in-the-morning (Post 184951)
WOW! This guy wasn't happy!

Blu-ray Review: CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST

His comments on the video quality are ridiculous. I think the film clearly upset him but he can't bring himself to admit it so rants rather strangely. :crazy:

Oh my god I can't believe he wrote this:

Visuals: 0.5 out of 5
Whoever convinced Shameless Screen Entertainment to release this on Blu-ray should be fired. The film is possibly the poorest transfer I have ever seen and a VHS would undoubtedly look better. Grain, distortion and a pixilated appearance mean that Cannibal Holocaust looks simply terrible in HD – perhaps this is a good thing though?

Just from the screenshots alone (which don't do the moving image justice) it looks superb so I don't get that comment at all. Was he on something? or maybe he smudged butter and salt on his eyes before watching it so he could only see a blurry and grainy mess on purpose to purposely put it down as much as he could. Who knows! :crazy:

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th September 2011 04:56 PM

Bloody hell! his remarks about the transfer are exactly what I was saying in another thread, about what people expect from a BD. He moans that the picture is plauged by constant grain? Well duh! You're going to get grain. I wouldn't be surprised if he moaned like hell about the Close Encounters BD as well (which was pretty grainy). He doesn't have a clue and shouldn't be reviewing anything.

the blob 27th September 2011 05:12 PM

Generally, you have to give reviewers a bit of a wide margin but honestly, that guy is a ****** idiot!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th September 2011 05:14 PM

It's abundantly clear he didn't like the film and so was in the mood to downgrade every aspect of the release, particularly the picture quality which, in my eyes, was a massive improvement over the DVD.

There's grain and poor camerawork? Well, hold the front page! It's a 30 year old film which was shot with handheld cameras, with the real 'documentary' on 16mm film stuck to make it more authentic -- what did he expect?

trench 27th September 2011 05:40 PM

I love this, right at the top of the review :

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatculture!
(Due to the graphic nature of the film we thought it best not to include screenshots with this review)

Aye, alright. Because every frame in the movie contains something of a graphic nature, right? I think what the reviewer meant to say was :

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatculture!
(Due to my talking nonsense about the picture quality we thought it best not to include screenshots with this review)

Rotten 27th September 2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by napalm-in-the-morning (Post 184840)
Agree. I really don't see how anyone can bash the picture quality of this HD version. It's amazingly good and hammers the Grindhouse version in both colour and clarity. I actually thought the EC edition had a better picture than Grindhouse but I know I was in the minority over that view. I still wish there had been a commehntary on the Deodato re-edit though but on the whole, well done Shameless :clap:. It is a miracle that they got this through the BBFC and will surely set a new precident for a LOT of future re-releases. I wonder if the tabloids and mainstream press will carry any reviews or comments on the changing face of censorship that this release raises?

Yeah, Napalm, mu uncut CH is the EC one, (I have Ferox on Grindhouse), I doubt the media will be too bothered these days, they only seem to take note when a NEW film arises (Human Centipede 2 or A Serbian Film for instance), as i dont recall any fuss over the buthcerd Vipco re-releases of these Cannibal movies (even tho they are cut)....the media seems to go after titles after all.

Rotten 27th September 2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 184955)
Oh my god I can't believe he wrote this:

Visuals: 0.5 out of 5
Whoever convinced Shameless Screen Entertainment to release this on Blu-ray should be fired. The film is possibly the poorest transfer I have ever seen and a VHS would undoubtedly look better. Grain, distortion and a pixilated appearance mean that Cannibal Holocaust looks simply terrible in HD – perhaps this is a good thing though?

Just from the screenshots alone (which don't do the moving image justice) it looks superb so I don't get that comment at all. Was he on something? or maybe he smudged butter and salt on his eyes before watching it so he could only see a blurry and grainy mess on purpose to purposely put it down as much as he could. Who knows! :crazy:

I think either his player or tv is ****ed, or the disc he has is defective!

Pete 29th September 2011 07:43 PM

http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=2556

napalm-in-the-morning 30th September 2011 11:51 AM

A fair and well wriiten rview as opposed to a poorly considered rant that some have isseued. :clap: