Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Cannibal Holocaust (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   What's Your Favourite Cannibal Film? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cannibal-holocaust/6771-whats-your-favourite-cannibal-film.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 20th September 2011 01:11 AM

What's Your Favourite Cannibal Film?

I've just finised making a blog about a very brief history of cannibalism in cinema (Cannibalism in Cinema: Om Nom Nom!) and it got me thinking.

What is your all time favourite Cannibal movie? Do you like good ol' Italian cannibal films? Or perhaps something more comical?

If you had to pick ONE what would it be?

keirarts 20th September 2011 08:40 AM

I am a huge fan of cannibal apocalypse.

Technically and artistically Cannibal holocaust is the best, Ferox a close second, I also find jungle holocaust, eaten alive, Deep river savages all lots of fun as well.

But for me the best one is definately apocalypse.

Mainly because Antonio margheretti is a damn fine film maker who knows how to entertain an audience, apocalypse delivers this perfectly, Its mix of deranged nam veterans, john saxon, giovanni lombardo radice and tons of grue has always made this my personal favourite.

Demoncrat 20th September 2011 11:54 AM

Themroc. tee hee.
otherwise it has to be CH (wonder if theyll still remake it??):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th September 2011 12:12 PM

Cannibal Ferox

Grimm Love.

Two entirely different takes on the cannibal genre.

Pete 20th September 2011 12:57 PM

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST and CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE.

Baseball Fury 20th September 2011 01:03 PM

Cannibal: The Musical! and Cannibal Holocaust.

Slippery Jack 20th September 2011 03:11 PM

Ravenous :clap:

Hammer time 20th September 2011 03:50 PM

last cannibal world

mr 420 20th September 2011 04:16 PM

Anybody seen Trouble Every Day? I have the chance to pick that up very cheaply.

James Morton 20th September 2011 05:05 PM

What's Your Favourite Cannibal Film?

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST and CANNIBAL FEROX

CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE though not as good

Rik 20th September 2011 07:39 PM

Cannibal Holocaust, Ferox and Apocalypse in that order, all the others I own are mainly collection fillers, these are the only ones that get regular spins

Violence is Italian Art

Make Them Die Slowly 20th September 2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 182809)
Anybody seen Trouble Every Day? I have the chance to pick that up very cheaply.

Saw it the other week, plays like a pretentious take on a Cronenberg film and is incredibly slow. It's certainly not the sex and blood blowout the blurb promises. That said, the woman from Mrs MTDS' work who lent it to me, was physical sick during some of the gore scenes! Bloody lightweights!

Slippery Jack 20th September 2011 08:04 PM

Hmm, I read about that film in the nifty little BFI book 100 European Horror Films - it didn't sound like my cuppa tea . . .

Phurious 20th September 2011 08:44 PM

It's a bit roundabout but I'd have to plumb for Jeunet & Caro's Delicatessen. Still not watched Ravenous yet, but it's been sat on my shelf for an age, ditto Apocalypse and The Man From Deep River.

Holocaust and Ferox just aren't my bag really I'm afraid, although I absolutely and fully appreciate their importance. :o

Phurious 20th September 2011 08:45 PM

Actually does C.H.U.D. count? That's up there for me too. :happy:

Slippery Jack 20th September 2011 08:47 PM

How about Deathline? The dude on the tube was a cannibal wasn't he? "Mind the doors!" . . .

Make Them Die Slowly 20th September 2011 08:51 PM

Oddly enough "Cannibal Holocaust" is my favourite but it's just not as cool a name as Make Them Die Slowly. "Cannibal Ferox" is lots of fun but lacks the drip feed depression of "Cannibal Holocaust" which for me is what makes it so special.

Phurious 20th September 2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 182915)
How about Deathline? The dude on the tube was a cannibal wasn't he? "Mind the doors!" . . .

Very true. I copied that for my cousin - oh boy is she in for a treat when she gets those discs :eek:

Gojirosan 20th September 2011 09:01 PM

I can't say without it being a massive spoiler...argh! I just can't bring myself to!

So I'll go for Death Line instead.

Phurious 20th September 2011 09:06 PM

Are we talking sustained cannibalism or a moment within a film?

Because if it's the latter, I think I've foolishly left off one of my all time faves:

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item...PijbMMQcjH.jpg

Demoncrat 21st September 2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 182927)
Are we talking sustained cannibalism or a moment within a film?

Because if it's the latter, I think I've foolishly left off one of my all time faves:

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item...PijbMMQcjH.jpg

nice choice....could pick the end of Desperate Living as well then...

mr 420 22nd September 2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 182884)
Saw it the other week, plays like a pretentious take on a Cronenberg film and is incredibly slow. It's certainly not the sex and blood blowout the blurb promises. That said, the woman from Mrs MTDS' work who lent it to me, was physical sick during some of the gore scenes! Bloody lightweights!

Cheers! I think I'll give it a miss, life being too short and all that.:)

Gojirosan 22nd September 2011 11:01 AM

How does one do the "Spoilervision" thing? I have to mention my fave cannibal themed film, but with the warning that it could ruin that film for those who have not seen it.

Slippery Jack 22nd September 2011 11:04 AM

You have me curious about this mystery cannibal film, and how would we know if we've seen it till we know what it is :lol: . . .

Gojirosan 22nd September 2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 183267)
You have me curious about this mystery cannibal film, and how would we know if we've seen it till we know what it is :lol: . . .

ARGH! The system is flawed!!!

It's not actually a cannibal film, but a film that has a surprise cannibal element. So maybe it doesn't count.

It's not had many releases around the world, but I know a few guys on here have seen it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 12:50 PM

Really annoying as i completely forgot about Death Line and Ravenous. I was just really thinking about dodgy jungle cannibals wearing wrist watches when i said Cannibal Ferox earlier.

I would like to add The Cook, The Thief His Wife and her Lover to the list of great titles already mentioned by posters.

I thought Trouble Every Day was pretentious rubbish by the way.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 04:42 PM

CANNIBAL TERROR hands down......

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 04:44 PM

..........:lol:

Only joking.

For what Cannibal films set out to do,ie shock and nauseate,then it's got to be CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.....
WHEN YOU'VE ABSOLUTELY GOT TO MAKE EVERY MUTHA ****ER IN THE ROOM SPEW...ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES! ;)

Baseball Fury 22nd September 2011 04:50 PM

I forgot about Delicatessan!

slaghammer 24th September 2011 11:30 PM

Easy! MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD!

Splatterdragon73 25th September 2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer time (Post 182796)
last cannibal world

The above remains one of my fave flesh-eatin' forays too alongside CA and CF. I do own the likes of Mountain (Prisoner, Slave or whatever!) Of The Cannibal God, Deep River Savages, Eaten Alive! and CH but these efforts are more for completion's sake and leisurely viewing than anything else. DL and C.H.U.D. are most enjoyable too.:)

You gotta laugh at the three caucasian victims of a blow-dart demise in the pre-opening credit moments of EA! The awful acting of these guys in their death throes is hilarious!:laugh:

mr 420 26th September 2011 11:03 AM

Pete Walker's Frightmare for me. :cool:

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 11:10 AM

Golden Temple Amazons.

mr 420 26th September 2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 184465)
Golden Temple Amazons.

What's that Dem? Sounds good!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 11:24 AM

An obvious answer, but Cannibal Holocaust and one which is surprisingly well written and directed, the odd feminist cannibal movie, Piranha Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (written by the same guy who penned the screenplay for Pretty Woman!). It was originally called Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death, but was renamed because of the BBFC stance on the word 'Cannibal'

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 11:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 184469)
What's that Dem? Sounds good!

To be truthful its not actually a cannibal film.

Its a Jess Franco film (wait, come back) about topless warrior women who kill a girls family and when she grows up she vows to take topless revenge on them.

Full of jungle action, its a lot of topless fun. pretty violent in places as well.

Its available on Region 1 via Shriek Show, individually or as part of the excellent Jungle Girls set.

mr 420 26th September 2011 11:27 AM

Is it up to Jess's usual high standards?

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 184478)
Is it up to Jess's usual high standards?

I really like it. As well as it being crammed full of eye candy it is actually pretty good, its fast paced and certainly action packed.

mr 420 26th September 2011 11:35 AM

Sounds like it's worth a watch. I'll have to have a scour about on the net. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th September 2011 11:36 AM

I forgot about Ravenous, Delicatessen and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.

I also really like Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, but there's also Alive (not a favourite of mine) and, I don't know how this hasn't been mentioned, Soylent Green!