Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2012, 02:33 PM
Cult Addict

Just watch the directors cut that has all animal violence edited out.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 1st October 2012, 02:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Just watch the directors cut that has all animal violence edited out.
I could be wrong but isn't there still traces of the animal violence in the director's edit? I'm sure I remember being surprised by how shocking it still was
Old 1st October 2012, 02:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I could be wrong but isn't there still traces of the animal violence in the director's edit? I'm sure I remember being surprised by how shocking it still was
yes, there is SOME but it's considerably than i the near uncut edition in the same release. It's litteraly a few second's of the pig scene (I seem to remember and even that's just the kicking. Hard to watch yes but at least it's not what come's next).

DVD and BD collection
Old 1st October 2012, 02:52 PM
Active Cultist

just get the grindhouse dvd and watch the kids version
Old 1st October 2012, 04:04 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Going off the atrocitieswe commit around the world i would say yes.
So you believe your life is worth less than an animal's? Just curious as to how personal you make that claim.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
So you believe your life is worth less than an animal's? Just curious as to how personal you make that claim.
My real meaning as i think you know is that in some parts of the world all life is worthless.

Which is our doing.
Old 1st October 2012, 05:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well said Demdike...

The animal violence in Cannibal Holocaust is regrettable because it makes a hypocrite of the film, but it is what it is, and I will only watch the original version even if I throw my gaze away from it during the atrocity stuff. I will readily accept that the film makers were cruel when making Holocaust, but the animal violence in the film has for too long kept it from being recognized as a genuine classic of Italian Cinema. After all the violence is mostly fleeting - a much more disturbing and unwatchable film is Frederick Wiseman's 1974 doc Primate, about sickening animal experimentation - and that's a pro-animal film...

Human nature is a funny business, and we all know that no one here gets turned on by animal atrocities but honestly I could swallow a full strenght Cannibal Holocaust and Africa Addio than say the entirely faked Human Centipede II or The Bunny Game - two films I'll give a wide berth judging from what I heard...

Last edited by Wes; 1st October 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 1st October 2012, 05:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've seen The Human Centipede and really enjoyed it. About 90% of violence/horror is implied, which made it much scarier.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:10 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Well said Demdike...

The animal violence in Cannibal Holocaust is regrettable because it makes a hypocrite of the film, but it is what it is, and I will only watch the original version even if I throw my gaze away from it during the atrocity stuff. I will readily accept that the film makers were cruel when making Holocaust, but the animal violence in the film has for too long kept it from being recognized as a genuine classic of Italian Cinema. After all the violence is mostly fleeting - a much more disturbing and unwatchable film is Frederick Wiseman's 1974 doc Primate, about sickening animal experimentation - and that's a pro-animal film...

Human nature is a funny business, and we all know that no one here gets turned on by animal atrocities but honestly I could swallow a full strenght Cannibal Holocaust and Africa Addio than say the entirely faked Human Centipede II or The Bunny Game - two films I'll give a wide berth judging from what I heard...
"The Bunny Game" isn't as bad as it made out to be, it's not dissimilar to Richard Kern's work in imagery and could certainly be seen as a long lost cousin to the Cinema of Transgression scene. That said, it would have made a much better short film than feature length.
Wes likes this.
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

That's a great analogy dude, I never thought of that, but you're spot on... At least the Kern stuff is short...

There's a good page of streaming Transgressive stuff here - U B U W E B : Cinema of Transgression

This thread has taken us some places !

Like this? Share it using the links below!