Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2012, 09:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Almost bought this today, but...

Just how much animal violence is in it? I am an animal lover and get pretty disturbed by such scenes. Are they easy to skip past etc. I really want to see this, but if it's difficultly to skip animal cruelty scenes, I might have to give it a miss.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:25 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

If animal slaughter upsets you, you might be well advised to avoid Cannibal Holocaust. To say that the animal violence is gruesome is putting it mildly, even in the Shameless release. The Grindhouse Releasing set provides an optional version that removes all sight of the animal stuff altogether, so you'd probably find that more to your liking.

I'm personally of the opinion that you need to see it uncut or not at all in order to get the full impact of Deodato's film.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:25 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Just how much animal violence is in it? I am an animal lover and get pretty disturbed by such scenes. Are they easy to skip past etc. I really want to see this, but if it's difficultly to skip animal cruelty scenes, I might have to give it a miss.
Buy it. Watch it. Hate yourself. Or get the Grindhouse Releasing version with vegan option.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
If animal slaughter upsets you, you might be well advised to avoid Cannibal Holocaust. To say that the animal violence is gruesome is putting it mildly, even in the Shameless release. The Grindhouse Releasing set provides an optional version that removes all sight of the animal stuff altogether, so you'd probably find that more to your liking.

I'm personally of the opinion that you need to see it uncut or not at all in order to get the full impact of Deodato's film.

If you mean to fully understand it's notoriety , I agree.
But as a film on it's own merits, I'm not so sure, I saw it cut first and still thought it was a powerful film.
(Without the need for any of the animal stuff)
Daemonia, Pete and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 29th September 2012, 02:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

I watched the uncut edition and that was the 1st time i'd seen the film as i was under the thought of see it uncut or not at all. Hence the version I bought was the 2 disc deluxe collector's edition by ECC and I skipped on buying the Vipco edition as I knew it would be cut - even though the dvd cover claimed differently (saying fully uncut)
Old 29th September 2012, 04:18 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
If you mean to fully understand it's notoriety , I agree.
But as a film on it's own merits, I'm not so sure, I saw it cut first and still thought it was a powerful film.
(Without the need for any of the animal stuff)
I agree that there's no need for the animal violence, but I think that pretending it's not there is not particularly helpful either. It is what it is, as repulsive as some of it is. And I must admit to being baffled as to why the outcry over the animals and not a word about the scenes of real human death and suffering in the Last Road to Hell sequence. Are humans worth less than animals then?
Larusso likes this.
Old 29th September 2012, 04:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Not a word about the scenes of real human death and suffering in the Last Road to Hell sequence. Are humans worth less than animals then?
I completely forgot about that scene I haven't seen the film in ages
Old 29th September 2012, 05:15 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
I agree that there's no need for the animal violence, but I think that pretending it's not there is not particularly helpful either. It is what it is, as repulsive as some of it is. And I must admit to being baffled as to why the outcry over the animals and not a word about the scenes of real human death and suffering in the Last Road to Hell sequence. Are humans worth less than animals then?
good point
Old 29th September 2012, 05:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
IAre humans worth less than animals then?
Going off the atrocitieswe commit around the world i would say yes.
Old 29th September 2012, 05:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I agree that there's no need for the animal violence, but I think that pretending it's not there is not particularly helpful either. It is what it is, as repulsive as some of it is.
I agree, in that even if you buy/watch an uncut version, you're still giving Ruggero Deodato your money for CH.

Quote:
I must admit to being baffled as to why the outcry over the animals and not a word about the scenes of real human death and suffering in the Last Road to Hell sequence. Are humans worth less than animals then?
Good Point. But maybe, while using that footage was exploitive, it was existing footage after all, so people get upset at the fact, the animal cruelty was done at the hands of the director.

Last edited by Beyond72; 29th September 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!