Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2017, 09:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Mine too, we are the same age but when the discussion turns into talk of Whitehouse as a swinger it is time to end it. Plus wasn't the opening question something like what would she make of Shameless covers. It is s tired and over done subject and more of a nostalgic cluster f*ck for most.

I am all for discussing the past and the wider cultural issues of censorship bit more often than not the culture in which the whole nasties saga evolved is forgotten.
Don't worry. My post above has brought everything into the here and now.

FFS!! Not above clearly but on the last page.
Old 4th May 2017, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well yeah it's amazing how a post about a campaigner and her views on life managed to get someone to mention a Frisbee.

Is there any films out there round the world that are still listed as banned?
Old 4th May 2017, 10:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Well yeah it's amazing how a post about a campaigner and her views on life managed to get someone to mention a Frisbee.

Apologies for highjacking your thread Mr B. Please don't bite me.
Old 4th May 2017, 10:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Apologies for highjacking your thread Mr B. Please don't bite me.
Lol no worries we all have hyperactive moments
Old 4th May 2017, 10:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Lol no worries we all have hyperactive moments
Haha, this is me calm!
Old 5th May 2017, 02:46 AM
Cult Addict

Mary Whitehouse gives me the horn.
There, just had to say it.

914a147749f1523aeadab9a0557cfc010274e628804d271cabc464d30945fe90.jpg

Sorry beer talking.
I was looking for a Derek and Clive quote but this is potentially even more offensive so i couldn't resist.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 5th May 2017, 03:40 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Lots!

In the UK:

BBFC Banned Cinema Films from 1960 onwards

BBFC Banned Videos, DVD's and Blu-Rays although some of these have since been released and/or cut

BBFC Recent Bans

Banned: Self Censored: In fear of the BBFC

Banned: World: Recently banned films

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th May 2017, 08:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Thank you for the lists much appreciated
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 13th May 2017, 09:40 PM
Cult Rookie

There's a great book about Mary Whitehouse consisting of archived letters. Really interesting stuff, if anyone's interested. It's called Ban This Filth!

Totally get why some folks aren't fussed about her any more. The past is the past and all that. But I do think it's worth keeping in mind, especially since few people seem to give a damn about censorship any more. It's just kind of accepted in the UK.

I've read through all the UK press coverage for Antichrist, Human Centipede 2 and A Serbian Film, and it's depressing how few people speak up when a film is cut. For HC2 and ASF, there was the Daily Mail, The Sun etc giving it their usually "Ban this!" nonsense, while The Guardian/Observer ran pro-censorship bobbins as their critics said "The BBFC are doing you a favour because these films suck." Even Kermode, who's published articles and book chapters with very anti-censorship views, can't be bothered if it's a film he doesn't like. (Watch him put on his anti-censorship hat again if a Friedkin movie gets cut.) There's an argument that it doesn't matter anyway, as you can get the uncut films online, but that's basically the BBFC acting as the advertising wing of the Pirate Bay. Maybe in the past this kind of controversy helped films, but now it must be absolutely crushing them because if they're cut then the majority of their target audience will just pirate it.

Sorry for the rant. One of my pet peeves is film critics who use the "I'm anti-censorship but..." strategy so they can endorse cuts to a film they don't like and still try to look cool.
Old 13th May 2017, 10:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackosaur View Post
There's a great book about Mary Whitehouse consisting of archived letters. Really interesting stuff, if anyone's interested. It's called Ban This Filth!

Totally get why some folks aren't fussed about her any more. The past is the past and all that. But I do think it's worth keeping in mind, especially since few people seem to give a damn about censorship any more. It's just kind of accepted in the UK.

I've read through all the UK press coverage for Antichrist, Human Centipede 2 and A Serbian Film, and it's depressing how few people speak up when a film is cut. For HC2 and ASF, there was the Daily Mail, The Sun etc giving it their usually "Ban this!" nonsense, while The Guardian/Observer ran pro-censorship bobbins as their critics said "The BBFC are doing you a favour because these films suck." Even Kermode, who's published articles and book chapters with very anti-censorship views, can't be bothered if it's a film he doesn't like. (Watch him put on his anti-censorship hat again if a Friedkin movie gets cut.) There's an argument that it doesn't matter anyway, as you can get the uncut films online, but that's basically the BBFC acting as the advertising wing of the Pirate Bay. Maybe in the past this kind of controversy helped films, but now it must be absolutely crushing them because if they're cut then the majority of their target audience will just pirate it.

Sorry for the rant. One of my pet peeves is film critics who use the "I'm anti-censorship but..." strategy so they can endorse cuts to a film they don't like and still try to look cool.
You need to read some posts by Boo, he is our anti censorship pit bull.

Like this? Share it using the links below!