Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2017, 02:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Mary Whitehouse

After watching the documentary about the video Nasties, Mary Whitehouse campaigned to have the movies banned not because she saw them but she saw covers. If she was still alive would she hate the shameless covers and campaign again.
Old 4th May 2017, 02:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
After watching the documentary about the video Nasties, Mary Whitehouse campaigned to have the movies banned not because she saw them but she saw covers. If she was still alive would she hate the shameless covers and campaign again.

I watched both Nucleus Video Nasties docs last night, and both parts of Ban the Sadist Videos this morning
She'd have a field day with some of the stuff that's available these days, the Saw film, Hostel etc. As for the Shameless covers, she'd probably take offence to the covers with tits on the front, mainly because hers went South years ago
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th May 2017, 02:48 PM
Cult Addict

i find it hilarious how she said called Evil Dead the number one nasty, when there was worst like I Spit on Your Grave
what's worst was she never watched it
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th May 2017, 03:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Damn wrong thread ... Thought it was going to be a debate about trump and the whitehouse then.
Old 4th May 2017, 03:08 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I watched both Nucleus Video Nasties docs last night, and both parts of Ban the Sadist Videos this morning
She'd have a field day with some of the stuff that's available these days, the Saw film, Hostel etc. As for the Shameless covers, she'd probably take offence to the covers with tits on the front, mainly because hers went South years ago
I'm well in the mood to watch those 2 sets now - I have too much homework at the moment though
Rik, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th May 2017, 03:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm well in the mood to watch those 2 sets now - I have too much homework at the moment though
All the recent VHS discussion is what made me wanna watch them again
Justin101 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th May 2017, 03:29 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
All the recent VHS discussion is what made me wanna watch them again
I've seen a lot more of the films in question now since when I first watched them so I can put it more in context. They're only an hour long the docs, I suppose I can afford to watch at least the first one.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th May 2017, 03:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yeah, I've seen and own a lot more of the films now, not sure if that's a good thing though
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 4th May 2017, 03:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I doubt Mary Whitehouse would have been a going concern nowadays. The times and attitudes have changed for the better over the years since.

There's more to worry about for people like that than some crappy Italian zombie film.
Old 4th May 2017, 04:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I doubt Mary Whitehouse would have been a going concern nowadays. The times and attitudes have changed for the better over the years since.

There's more to worry about for people like that than some crappy Italian zombie film.
presumably she would have had the might of the daily mail still behind her irrespective of whether the times changed

Like this? Share it using the links below!