Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2009, 04:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

By starting this post I hope im not giving the impression that I only buy 18 certs , as that is untrue, as I have many 12 rated films of my favourite horror actor, Bela Lugosi.
I have 15 rated rated Zombie dvds like Arrows Oaisas of the Zombies, etc. so I dont fully rule out the 15, but it does make me wary , especially with some titles rated 18 being so tame, ie VIPCO's Cannibal Ferox.

Ok this was pre cut by REPLAY, but when re submitted years later by VIPCO , a futher 2 seconds were required for the 18 cert.
I agree with the further 2 - 6 seconds of cuts but am amazed that the film was deemed for 18's only.
Thats why I mistrust the 15 cert.

I have no doubt that the 15 cert is a lot stronger than it was a decade ago, but with former nasties, notorious slashers and other former 18 rated or even banned stuff, joining the ranks of 15 rated material , were does this leave the 18 cert.?

Will being more liberal in the 15 sector not effect or raise people's expectations towards the 18 rated stuff. to a level that the BBFC cant fufill due to the VRA, OPA, etc. ?

And why do some Cult labels, even today, go outta their way to avoid the lesser 15 cert that offers a larger market slice in favour of the more market restricted 18 cert. ?
Old 4th September 2009, 05:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
I have 15 rated rated Zombie dvds like Arrows Oaisas of the Zombies, etc. so I dont fully rule out the 15, but it does make me wary , especially with some titles rated 18 being so tame, ie VIPCO's Cannibal Ferox.

Ok this was pre cut by REPLAY, but when re submitted years later by VIPCO , a futher 2 seconds were required for the 18 cert.
I agree with the further 2 - 6 seconds of cuts but am amazed that the film was deemed for 18's only.
Thats why I mistrust the 15 cert.

I have no doubt that the 15 cert is a lot stronger than it was a decade ago, but with former nasties, notorious slashers and other former 18 rated or even banned stuff, joining the ranks of 15 rated material , were does this leave the 18 cert.?

Will being more liberal in the 15 sector not effect or raise people's expectations towards the 18 rated stuff. to a level that the BBFC cant fufill due to the VRA, OPA, etc. ?
There's no doubt that the cut version of Ferox would get a 15 today as it sounds like almost everything was removed. But because of it being one of the most notorious titles and this being a 2000 submission, I think they just felt an 18 would be more appropriate at the time.

I think people's expectations for the 18 rating today are being fullfilled with the passing of films like Seed, Emodiment of Evil, Caligula, Last House on the Left, Martys, Night Train Murders, Carver, Kichiku Ku Kai etc but I don't think anyone seriously expects an 18 today to mean Sex Wish, Murder Set Pieces, Africa Addio, Guts of a Virgin, Cannibal Holocaust (uncut).
Old 4th September 2009, 06:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

[QUOTE=Sam@Cult Labs;40498]Certificates don't bother me unless I know a film has been compromised in order to achieve a milder rating.

Exactly.I wouldn't buy films such as the UK ERASER which was butchered for that reason.
As long as the film is complete and uncut,the way the director intended it,then the certification don't matter an (Amster)damned.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th September 2009, 06:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
There's no doubt that the cut version of Ferox would get a 15 today as it sounds like almost everything was removed.
You've been spared that version then Angel?
It would more likely recieve a 12A!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th September 2009, 08:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wink

No I haven't seen it, Reaps. Sounds like it would be worth checking out though. The cuts were very excessive as they were made for the 18 rating back in 1983 when the nastie furore was at its height.
Old 4th September 2009, 10:31 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Or even a PG (Post-Gore).

As Angel says the 18 rating for Ferox was more due to the film's reputation than anything else. Even with the huge cuts (6 mins +) the BBFC would have been reluctant to pass it as anything else than 18. If the same cut version was resubmitted now, 9 years later, it would easily get a 15. Pretty much the same applies to Eaten Alive which basically received the same length of (badly made) cuts.

Many of the old zombie films were cut so heavily by Ferman (especially in the case of Nights Of Terror) that the 18 certificate was a complete farce.

Quote:
I think people's expectations for the 18 rating today are being fullfilled with the passing of films like Seed, Emodiment of Evil, Caligula, Last House on the Left, Martys, Night Train Murders, Carver, Kichiku Ku Kai etc.
Bang on there Angel. Caligula & Embodiment are two films that even in the more liberal Robin Duval days would have been heavily cut for an 18.
Old 6th September 2009, 04:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
No I haven't seen it, Reaps. Sounds like it would be worth checking out though. The cuts were very excessive as they were made for the 18 rating back in 1983 when the nastie furore was at its height.
The cut version of Cannibal Ferox is actually a lot of fun.

Although i was pissed off at paying £20 for it!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 6th September 2009, 04:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
There's no doubt that the cut version of Ferox would get a 15 today as it sounds like almost everything was removed. But because of it being one of the most notorious titles and this being a 2000 submission, I think they just felt an 18 would be more appropriate at the time.

I think people's expectations for the 18 rating today are being fullfilled with the passing of films like Seed, Emodiment of Evil, Caligula, Last House on the Left, Martys, Night Train Murders, Carver, Kichiku Ku Kai etc but I don't think anyone seriously expects an 18 today to mean Sex Wish, Murder Set Pieces, Africa Addio, Guts of a Virgin, Cannibal Holocaust (uncut).
Why not.? They're 16 or 18 in other EU contries.
I cant speak for Sex Wish or Guts, but i've seen the others uncut and I think an 18 rating for CH , MSP etc would be fair .

Do you think that the BBFC would pass them only for the OPA policing what they do. .?
Old 6th September 2009, 04:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
The cut version of Cannibal Ferox is actually a lot of fun.

Although i was pissed off at paying £20 for it!
It is a 'must see' version if your interested in censorship in 80's UK.

I'd love a to see what a newly submitted FEROX would look like in comparison .
Old 6th September 2009, 05:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Some of the more surprising movies to be passed 15 fully uncut are formally banned video nasties such as Contamination,Don't Look in the Basement and the upcoming release of Xtro.Anyone know of any other nasties that have been passed 15 uncut?

Like this? Share it using the links below!