Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:45 PM
Cultist in Training

The documentary might be an interesting watch.

No interest in DVD's full of trailers. I think that idea's been done to death.
Old 23rd July 2010, 04:46 PM
Active Cultist

This isn't just a DVD set of trailers. Each trailer has an introduction from either a journalist or an academic of some sort, each offering their unique insight into each movie and why it may have fallen foul of the dreaded DPP.

But there's more - each of these introductions is chock-full of interesting facts and trivia plus rare archival trade ads and video art etc. We've really done one hell of a lot of work putting this lot together.

And then there's the documentary, where we have brand new information from the DPP's archives that none of you will have ever been aware of

I reckon the total running time will be somewhere between 3 and 4 hours, possibly even more.
Old 23rd July 2010, 05:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sounds good to me.
Old 23rd July 2010, 05:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

That must have taken ages to track down all those trailers Marc, were there any in paticular that you thought you might never find.?
Old 23rd July 2010, 05:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Awesome cover art, btw ... can you give us information on the packaging. Amaray or maybe a neat digipak?
Old 23rd July 2010, 05:26 PM
Active Cultist

It will be housed in a chunky DVD box. Like an Amaray but thicker and more retro -looking.
Old 23rd July 2010, 05:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ah, an Alpha Case, you mean?
Old 23rd July 2010, 05:34 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Do trailers have to be licensed, Marc? Or are they considered a 'public domain' type of thing? I'm just wondering about the cost of such a huge endeavour!
Old 25th July 2010, 01:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default New Video Nasties Documentary

New Video Nasties Documentary: Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape

Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape is a brand new in-depth documentary by director Jake West (Evil Aliens) and producer Marc Morris which charts the Video Nasties phenomenon and sheds light on one of the most important scandalous eras in British history.

A companion piece to this release is Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide which features every single trailer that fell foul of the Director of Public Prosecutions. Video Nasties is a personal love of mine be it good or bad they all have a place in my (heart) and DVD collection, so i am hyped about this release and just another reason to dust off some of the classics and be shocked all over again.

I have the up most respect for all the directors, writers, producers and everyone involved during that time, who pushed the boundaries as to what could be allowed for the viewing public, even if almost all the Video Nasties where heavily banned and censored, even some still to this day! The World Premiere for this will be held at the UK Film4 FrightFest on Monday the 30th August at 11.15am. A horror celebrity panel will follow this definitive documentary.

origianlly posted here

New Video Nasties Documentary: Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape - HorrorMovies.ca
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Video_Nastiesx.jpg (22.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 25th July 2010, 10:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

This release looks and sounds fantastic and with Morris and West behind it, how can it not be? Another definite pre-order there for yours truly!

Surely the last word on the 'Video Nasties' debacle and a lovely trip down memory lane for many of us here, myself included.

It looks like the mighty Ban The Sadist Videos! documentary from ABUK's two Box Of The Banned box sets has finally more than met it's match.

Like this? Share it using the links below!