Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th August 2010, 01:17 PM
Active Cultist

Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide

This is now available for pre-order from amazon and play.
Old 5th August 2010, 01:43 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Pre-ordered.
Old 5th August 2010, 02:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Or don't trailers have to be licensed..? I don't know, which is why I ask the question. And were these trailers sourced from proper film sources or from old VHS tapes?
Hey Chris,

Seeing as no one answered this I'll give it a go

Basically, trailers are considered public domain. I know that if it's pre-1976 trailers you can use them to your heart's content. For anything after that I *think* it's fair game too, although I'd not like to wager my bets with something like Avatar!! Plus, there's the "fair use" policy, which is pretty wide reaching.

The well known trailer DVDs such as 42nd Street Forever and Marc's own Grindhouse trailer discs won't need, therefore, to cover licensing costs as far as I know (which is why trailer discs are probably so commonplace - isn't 42nd Street Forver up to volume six or seven?). So for people who don't own the discs that carry these trailers, it's a good introduction to exploitation lore. Same deal with a disc full of nasty trailers. Don't own the movies that the trailers are on? Here's your introduction...

As for me... I'll be getting this disc for the documentary because I really want to support Jake's work and the work of indie labels like Nucleus. Jake is also a great guy and I think it's awesome that he's going back to his roots and doing a doc on the nasties. Sure to be absolutely fantastic!

One question though - over the past year the UK has seen attendance from Lamberto Bava, Ruggero Deodato, Catriona MacColl, HG Lewis, Matt Cimber, Giovanni Radice, David Hess, Tom Savini, John Saxon, Dario Argento and Claudio Simonetti - whilst living on these isles are James Kenelm Clarke, Linda Hayden, Richard Johnson, Francesca Ciardi and Ian McCulloch.

Did you never want to get these names involved in "introducing" the trailers?

You only needed to ask

However, great cover art from Graham Humphries, a good looking documentary and seems like a package most fans of the era will find irresistable.

Last edited by Calum; 5th August 2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 5th August 2010, 05:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I posted news of this release on a Horror film site I post on , as I do with all titles of interest plus of course all the ARROW and Shameless titles , to drum up support and make people aware etc , and the small response to the Thread was 90% negitive , citing downloads and UTube for Trailers, so its good to know that Nucleus didn't have to fork out on licences.

I will be buying this on release , at first it was mainly for the documentary , but having the way the trailers are to be presented on the disc fully explained I must admit im pretty much looking forward to the whole package.
Old 5th August 2010, 06:03 PM
Active Cultist

As I've already said, this set ISN'T just a load of trailers you've seen before.

We've shot dozens of hours of new footage for this - it's been a major labour of love.

As an example, Disc 1 will be around 5 hours, disc 2 around 4 hours, disc 3 around 2 hours.

This is a incredible amount of work to put together and edit, believe me. If some people are happy with crap quality Youtube trailers then let them stick to those I say!±
Old 5th August 2010, 06:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I know that and I did explain that in one of my last posts on that site Marc, using the more detailed info about the release that you posted in this Thread , so I do expect any further posts regarding the release to be of a more positive nature.

I for one am genuinely looking forward to this release and think it will be of genuine interest to collectors as well as having good cross over appeal with non genre fans .
I told a few friends about this who just buy mainly blockbuster films and they all looked on it as a bit of a nostalgia trip and something they would definitely buy when they see it in the shops.
Old 7th August 2010, 11:37 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Hey Chris,

Seeing as no one answered this I'll give it a go

Basically, trailers are considered public domain. I know that if it's pre-1976 trailers you can use them to your heart's content. For anything after that I *think* it's fair game too, although I'd not like to wager my bets with something like Avatar!! Plus, there's the "fair use" policy, which is pretty wide reaching.

The well known trailer DVDs such as 42nd Street Forever and Marc's own Grindhouse trailer discs won't need, therefore, to cover licensing costs as far as I know (which is why trailer discs are probably so commonplace - isn't 42nd Street Forver up to volume six or seven?). So for people who don't own the discs that carry these trailers, it's a good introduction to exploitation lore. Same deal with a disc full of nasty trailers. Don't own the movies that the trailers are on? Here's your introduction...
Thanks for that, Calum. I was genuinely curious as to how this works. So once a compilation is made, do the trailers then become the copyright property of the distributing company? Or are the trailers on a compilation open to anyone's use? Just wondering how that would work, as I'm sure the DVD(s) will carry a copyright warning, or is it just the newly shot introductions that would be copyrighted?

The main reason I'm asking is because just about all DVDs and VHS tapes carry a warning that all the content on the disc or tape is copyrighted material. DVDs say something along the lines that no part of the DVD can be copied or distributed without proper permission, in whole or in part. Just curious how people get around this. This would go for any trailer compilation, I'm not just singling Marc out here.

I was made curious about this issue a while back when I read this news report, where a US court ruled that trailers do not fall into 'fair use'. Have a read...

Trailers are not

Like I say, I'm genuinely curious about the matter.

Last edited by Daemonia; 7th August 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 7th August 2010, 12:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

I've pre-ordered my copies from HMV and can't wait to take this much anticipated trip down memory lane!
Old 7th August 2010, 12:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Thanks for that, Calum. I was genuinely curious as to how this works. So once a compilation is made, do the trailers then become the copyright property of the distributing company? Or are the trailers on a compilation open to anyone's use? Just wondering how that would work, as I'm sure the DVD(s) will carry a copyright warning, or is it just the newly shot introductions that would be copyrighted?

The main reason I'm asking is because just about all DVDs and VHS tapes carry a warning that all the content on the disc or tape is copyrighted material. DVDs say something along the lines that no part of the DVD can be copied or distributed without proper permission, in whole or in part. Just curious how people get around this. This would go for any trailer compilation, I'm not just singling Marc out here.

I was made curious about this issue a while back when I read this news report, where a US court ruled that trailers do not fall into 'fair use'. Have a read...

Trailers are not

Like I say, I'm genuinely curious about the matter.
Yeah, that's part of why I said I'd never try and use a trailer for Avatar.

I think that news report is a bit misleading though - what they are arguing is that the use of this material, by Video Pipeline, did not constitute fair use - rather than that trailers themselves cannot be used under a "fair use" policy.

Here's some examples of recent fair use - the excellent documentary The People Vs George Lucas.

This Film is Not Yet Rated:

Both use clips from major studio films that have been signed off by lawyers as not breaching the "fair use" policy (the same happened with American Grindhouse, although my involvement in it had long ceased by then).

So for these trailer documentaries the trailers will be ripped from other DVDs, and possibly an occasional VHS tape - but I'll be damned if anyone ever bothered to copyright the trailers for Cannibal Ferox, The Boogeyman et al. And, as mentioned, pre-1976 and you're fine. So I think the people putting out these trailer discs are just fine - and it'll be nice to see some previews for ones even I've never seen located anywhere (kudos to Marc for getting a trailer for The Slayer and The Beast in Heat!).

It does, however, mean that the trailers themselves won't be the copyright of the person releasing the DVD - just the introductions.

As an aside, I was thinking of organising a collection of (rare) grindhouse trailers to accompany one of Arrow's forthcoming titles. What are people's thoughts? Has this done been to death already? It doesn't take long to do them and it might make for a nice addition to the main attraction?!
Old 7th August 2010, 01:12 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, Calum. That answers my question perfectly. My question was never intended as a slight against Nucleus, or accusing them of any copyright infringement, far from it, I was just curious as to how these things are put together, as they are becoming more and more popular. I'd definitely agree with you that trailers for Ferox et al wouldn't be bound up in any copyright issues. I'll probably pick up a copy anyway, as it would be nice to have all those trailers together in a single package as a point of reference. The doc looks good too - I'll be most interested to hear what Graham Bright has to say on the matter (although he'll probably infuriate me!).

And yes, I'd definitely be interested in a trailers package if you put one together for Arrow.

Like this? Share it using the links below!