LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2015, 09:23 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Yeah, I agree, this time it's not the fault of the BBFC but the dumb ass laws that we rush through in any (over) reaction to perceived harm, especially where minors are involved.

To a degree, I do understand where the law is trying to protect the vulnerable in our sad, PC regimented, Big Brother land but this is as stupid and facile as the law that states no child under 10 is allowed to see an undraped mannequin.

Yes... that is LAW!!
That isn't a law, it is an urban legend along with it being against the law to die in the Houses of Parliament, women being topless in Liverpool apart from when selling tropical fish or eating mince pies on December 25.

As for the film, there is something brilliant about it, but also really uncomfortable when the sex scenes involve a 13-year-old boy.
Old 5th April 2015, 03:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That isn't a law, it is an urban legend along with it being against the law to die in the Houses of Parliament, women being topless in Liverpool apart from when selling tropical fish or eating mince pies on December 25.

As for the film, there is something brilliant about it, but also really uncomfortable when the sex scenes involve a 13-year-old boy.
If I remember correctly the scene is right at the beginning of the film and is over quick, (as it would be!) and played for laughs.

The law or not as the case may be was still being touted by the BBC up at least until 2006. BBC NEWS | Wales | Where mince pies break the law....

I agree about Liverpool women keeping their tops on though, well, at least the ones I've come into contact with....
Make Them Die Slowly and dis like this.
Old 5th April 2015, 06:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I don't know what is more disturbing, the nudie mannequin law or the fact you know about it.
Of course the law referred to appears to be something of an urban myth (see for example this informal law commission report http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/...l_Oddities.pdf)
Old 5th April 2015, 07:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
If I remember correctly the scene is right at the beginning of the film and is over quick, (as it would be!) and played for laughs.

The law or not as the case may be was still being touted by the BBC up at least until 2006. BBC NEWS | Wales | Where mince pies break the law....

I agree about Liverpool women keeping their tops on though, well, at least the ones I've come into contact with....
Quote:
Can you really be arrested for eating a mince pie on Christmas Day? Are you within your rights to shoot a Welsh person with a longbow on a Sunday in Chester? According to British urban legend, ancient laws could still land you in trouble or, literally, allow you to get away with murder.

As the story goes, everything from sticking a stamp on a letter the wrong way around to driving without a bale of hay in your boot theoretically runs the risk of arrest from an over-zealous police officer.

But most of these legendary laws are just that - legend and not reality.

Some of the laws did exist but have since been overturned. Others, like the ban on boys under the age of 10 seeing a naked mannequin, never quite made it on to the statute books.
Illegal mince pies and other UK legal legends - BBC News
Old 4th May 2015, 07:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

There's a fascinating 9 page article in the latest Doctor Who magazine about the early days of releasing Who vhs.

What's notable for this thread are the BBFC notes regarding two stories - The Brain of Morbius and The Talons of Weng-Chiang. Both stories had to be resubmitted, Talons three times as the censor body were determined it should have a 15 certificate due to scenes of violence, cannibalism, drugs, breaking and entering, chainsticks and murder. It took three years to get past the BBFC ...WITH 11 SECONDS OF CUTS.

All this for something that was originally transmitted after the football results on a Saturday tea time. Added to this the BBFC reports are also riddled with spelling errors. So much for being our intellectual superiors eh?

It really is a superb article and is well worth purchasing, or at least standing in WH Smiths for forty minutes whilst you read it. It continues next month as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th May 2015, 11:51 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There's a fascinating 9 page article in the latest Doctor Who magazine about the early days of releasing Who vhs.

What's notable for this thread are the BBFC notes regarding two stories - The Brain of Morbius and The Talons of Weng-Chiang. Both stories had to be resubmitted, Talons three times as the censor body were determined it should have a 15 certificate due to scenes of violence, cannibalism, drugs, breaking and entering, chainsticks and murder. It took three years to get past the BBFC ...WITH 11 SECONDS OF CUTS.

All this for something that was originally transmitted after the football results on a Saturday tea time. Added to this the BBFC reports are also riddled with spelling errors. So much for being our intellectual superiors eh?
As I have already noted in this thread, I am currently going thru the 'Doctor Who' DVD's in chronological order, and I think that there are a LOT of Tom Baker adventures which could never be made today
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th May 2015, 10:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
As I have already noted in this thread, I am currently going thru the 'Doctor Who' DVD's in chronological order, and I think that there are a LOT of Tom Baker adventures which could never be made today
Ive been watching dr who from the very beggining since xmas try watch 2 a day.
Im on series 11 so nearly at tom baker now. Most of dr who is just entertaining silly nonsense, in the early days because of what era it was made you can see if all fake and plastic toys etc, so why would any episode bother anyone or have any problems is beyond me. (dont take it wrong way dr who a cult tv series im not dissing it just making a point)

Last edited by gag; 5th May 2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 5th May 2015, 11:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Ive been watching dr who from the very beggining since xmas try watch 2 a day.
Im on series 11 so nearly at tom baker now. Most of dr who is just entertaining silly nonsense, in the early days because of what era it was made you can see if all fake and plastic toys etc, so why would any episode bother anyone or have any problems is beyond me. (dont take it wrong way dr who a cult tv series im not dissing it just making a point)
Wait until you get to series 13 and 14 - specifically 'Pyramids Of Mars', 'Morbius', 'Seeds Of Doom', 'Deadly Assassin' and 'Weng-Chiang', and look for the violence content...and don't forget that these were originally shown at about 5:00pm

I am assuming you are just watching the stories. If you listen to the commentaries or do the information text track (which I am doing), you get an awful lot of background information about the stories, and the censorship problems that they faced when first transmitted, and thoughts about what would happen if they were produced tofay

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th May 2015, 05:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default black is black i want my baby back

With my recent delve into Blackploitation cinema,ive scouring da internet looking for great and the good and in some case bad,there was a Fred "The Hammer" Williamson film which I had heard was call Boss N****R,(ive censored myself here)now I wasn't sure it had been released and could not find it,until it dawned on me that perhaps this other Fred film called Boss was the same stupid is my middle name of course it was the same film.Were the dvd company right to change its title?

boss_nigger_poster_01.jpg51jz3V2brCL.jpg
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 7th May 2015, 05:17 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
With my recent delve into Blackploitation cinema,ive scouring da internet looking for great and the good and in some case bad,there was a Fred "The Hammer" Williamson film which I had heard was call Boss N****R,(ive censored myself here)now I wasn't sure it had been released and could not find it,until it dawned on me that perhaps this other Fred film called Boss was the same stupid is my middle name of course it was the same film.Were the dvd company right to change its title?

Attachment 163309Attachment 163310

Yep, it's the same film. They just left the second word off the dvd cover. The film has the full title though. I'm betting the people who changed the cover were white guys, scared shitless of offending black people, and I'd wager that most of them couldn't care less. Fred Williamson has never had a problem with the title, and neither do I. I doubt he or the other actors in the film would've been in them if they were so offended. So, I'm going to refer to it by the proper title, Boss Nigger. Same with the other 2 he made before this, The Legend Of Nigger Charley, and The Soul Of Nigger Charley. In fact, the main title song for the first is all kinds of awesomness.

http://youtu.be/HMEtLs1W7OE

Like this? Share it using the links below!