Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2008, 06:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Does anyone know how much was cut out off Nightmares .? I heard it was the US 'R' version that got a UK release.
Does anyone know if that is correct.?
I compared my uncut German VCD with the cut version that is available on the Shriekfilms DVD, which is the same transfer that was released by Hardgore. So the cuts are the same. So this is what is missing from the UK DVD.

In the cut UK DVD a number of cuts have been made to the scene at about 26m where a woman answers the phone. All close ups of her throat being cut and subsequent sight of blood pumping out from her throat have been removed. Also in the uncut version she is then stabbed 4 times, in the cut version she is stabbed only once.

The scene at about 81m has suffered cuts. In the uncut version the baby sitter is stabbed 4 times in the back with a pick axe. The 3rd & 4th stabs are extreme close ups. In the cut version only the 1st 2 stabs are shown. 3 & 4 have been removed.

The flash back scene at the end has also suffered several cuts. In the uncut version the woman (who has just been decapitated) is struck twice with the axe. In the cut version she is struck only once. The 2nd strike has been removed

2 other cuts to this scene were to remove the folowing:
The father being struck on the head with the axe and subsequent sight of blood pouring from the wound.

Last edited by Angel; 29th June 2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 29th June 2008, 08:29 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

It's hard to say whether the current UK DVD (Box Of The Banned version) is the same as the original BBFC-cut cinema print. The cuts certainly look similar.

(from the interview with Craig Lapper)........

Quote:
The original cuts made for cinema release were to remove.....
(1) Repeated close shots of throat slitting, blood pumping and repeated stabs at around 26 minutes.
(2) Repeated hacks with an ice pick and the rotating of the ice pick in the wound at around 81 minutes.
(3) Repeated axe swipes and blood spurting in the flashback at the end of the film (including the head gushing blood).
Old 29th June 2008, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

The Code Red dvd looks like it may be the way to go when it's released :

http://codereddvdblog.blogspot.com/2...rom-extra.html

Some whining in the comments about it being open matte, don't think that will affect my purchase.
Old 29th June 2008, 09:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Some "fans" are never satisfied.
The "Code Red" DVD will be a must purchase for the extras alone!
This is a movie, for which I'm really looking forward to learn more about its background history, not the least the Tom Savini controversy etc.

@Angel: It'll be interesting to see whether or not "Freakshow" will get submitted to the BBFC.
I'm always puzzled that so many movies seem to rather get a butchered German DVD than a (-n at least much closer to complete) UK DVD.

Like the female-serial-killer flick "Katie Bird", for instance, which suffered over 25 (!!!) mins of cuts and had to be submitted 5x to the FSK before they granted it a rating after all.

Here's a link to the list of cuts with pics:

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schni...ht.php?ID=4628
Old 30th June 2008, 02:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Send a message via MSN to siccoyote

Hmm that was a while ago.

I don't quite understand what they are getting at with looking at the film element and there's no matting then, yes like all theatrical soft-matte films. Personally I'm sick of "the director approved it" as a be-all and end-all complaint stopper, I'd be happy if it was the cinematographer but I guess he's busy with Transporter 3(if the imdb isn't in error again).

The film may not be perfectly suiting to a full 1.85:1 matte (personally I don't see the point in going past 1.78:1) but a 1.66:1 matte in anamorphic would be more preferable in most cases.

I just get the feeling when something is released open-matte it's because they were unable to get a new transfer done and the only old ones they could get hold of were 4:3 and would not hold up to being cropped then stretched in anamorphic.

Also the argument about missing off boobs and fanny, well it's a little childish, but all the same they could adjust the framing if need-be or just do as they did on Don't Go In The House and have those shots as extras.

I have Dog Tags on video, war is hell, and so's that movie, there's obviously an attempt at style there but the film is just dreary and dull. POW The Escape was much better
Old 30th June 2008, 06:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
@Angel: It'll be interesting to see whether or not "Freakshow" will get submitted to the BBFC.
I'm always puzzled that so many movies seem to rather get a butchered German DVD than a (-n at least much closer to complete) UK DVD.

Like the female-serial-killer flick "Katie Bird", for instance, which suffered over 25 (!!!) mins of cuts and had to be submitted 5x to the FSK before they granted it a rating after all.

Here's a link to the list of cuts with pics:

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schni...ht.php?ID=4628
Well I do hope Freakshow does get submitted. It's disappointing that so many films don't get a release here. David Defalco's CHAOS (2005) is another. Supposed to be the most brutal movie ever made, as well as a rip off of Last House on the Left from what I've heard. The film will definitely be cut by the BBFC if ever submitted as it contains scenes of sexual violence that won't be acceptable here. Have to admit I have never heard of Katie Bird but 25m of cuts is quite incredible. But it does seem unlikely that it would be cut here as the killer is a woman and the victims are all male.
Old 30th June 2008, 06:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
It's hard to say whether the current UK DVD (Box Of The Banned version) is the same as the original BBFC-cut cinema print. The cuts certainly look similar.

(from the interview with Craig Lapper)........
Yes the cuts seem identical to the UK cinema cuts. From what I know the pre cert restored the BBFC cinema cuts but was evidentally still missing some footage ( going by reviews). So perhaps not all the cuts were restored, either that or the version submitted to the BBFC in 1982 was not the uncut version. The Hardgore release contains more violence than the pre cert (restoring further cuts - again going by reviews) but is still missing some footage which appears to be what the BBFC cut in 1982. But strangely looking at the Hardgore release myself it doesn't look like any of the BBFC cuts were restored.

I have seen the pre cert but can't remember it well but I'm not sure exactly why it was stated by various sources that it restored some of the BBFC cuts when even the more complete Hardgore disc doesn't seem to have.
Old 30th June 2008, 10:19 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I have a friend who has the pre-cert which I'll try and borrow sometime (as long as it isn't Betamax) for comparison. I last saw it about 25 years ago.

According to SGM the UK DVD has a few (VERY few) extra seconds of violence that weren't in the old pre-cert. Namely the 2nd pick axe blow and the first axe blow to the headless woman. I would have gone as far as to saying it may have been the R-rated print that the BBFC saw back in 1982 - but as they mention cuts to the throat-slashing and the father's head wound (which aren't in the current DVD/R-rated print) it must have been the full version they saw.

The current DVD is definitely longer than the cut cinema version but whether any violence is restored seems to be highly negotiable.

Bit of a nightmare itself this one.
Old 30th June 2008, 05:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Well I do hope Freakshow does get submitted. It's disappointing that so many films don't get a release here. David Defalco's CHAOS (2005) is another. Supposed to be the most brutal movie ever made, as well as a rip off of Last House on the Left from what I've heard. The film will definitely be cut by the BBFC if ever submitted as it contains scenes of sexual violence that won't be acceptable here. Have to admit I have never heard of Katie Bird but 25m of cuts is quite incredible. But it does seem unlikely that it would be cut here as the killer is a woman and the victims are all male.
Oh, yes! "Chaos"! I'd still like to see this one popping up in the EU anywhere.
Strangely enough, there isn't even a chopped 50 mins German sellthrough version....
You're probably right about "Katie Bird" and the BBFC, but from a non UK citizen's pov their attitude towards violence committed by women against men sounds a bit...well...like reversed sexism on their behalf Then again, as long as there's a solid reason NOT to cut something, why should I object?

Last edited by Peter Neal; 30th June 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 30th June 2008, 05:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Anyone heard of a film called 'Hells Ground'.?
Its a Pakistani gore flick which is banned in its native country.
Dont know why its banned in Pakistan, but its getting a UK release on August 4th .
Dont know if the UK release will be uncut or not.
Has just been passed uncut by the BBFC with an 18 rating.

Like this? Share it using the links below!