Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd December 2018, 02:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I've always found the lyrics of the song to be a bit creepy, although reading the article, there are a few quotes from an expert (I think she was a 40's/50's film expert) and she explains how those lines don't really mean what they sound like they mean in the current climate. I wasn't really aware of the finer subtleties.

However, why are we disputing the fact that a radio station decided to NOT play Michael Buble lol...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd December 2018, 02:46 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've always found the lyrics of the song to be a bit creepy, although reading the article, there are a few quotes from an expert (I think she was a 40's/50's film expert) and she explains how those lines don't really mean what they sound like they mean in the current climate. I wasn't really aware of the finer subtleties.
Agreed. It was written a long time before 'Roofies'

Listening While Feminist: In Defense of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” – Persephone Magazine

"...So let’s talk about that drink. I’ve discussed solely looking at the lyrics of the song and its internal universe so far, but I think that the line “Say, what’s in this drink” needs to be explained in a broader context to refute the idea that he spiked her drink. “Say, what’s in this drink” is a well-used phrase that was common in movies of the time period and isn’t really used in the same manner any longer. The phrase generally referred to someone saying or doing something they thought they wouldn’t in normal circumstances; it’s a nod to the idea that alcohol is “making” them do something unusual. But the joke is almost always that there is nothing in the drink. The drink is the excuse. The drink is the shield someone gets to hold up in front of them to protect from criticism. And it’s not just used in these sort of romantic situations. I’ve heard it in many investigation type scenes where the stoolpigeon character is giving up bits of information they’re supposed to be protecting, in screwball comedies where someone is making a fool of themselves, and, yes, in romantic movies where someone is experiencing feelings they are not supposed to have."
g053584398 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd December 2018, 03:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's quite a bit of context to act as some sort of disclaimer for a DJ to read out to prevent a misunderstanding of the song so it doesn't seem to condone date rape and a "no means maybe" message!
Justin101 likes this.
Old 4th December 2018, 04:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

People moan about songs like that despite they are old and didn't mean anything at that time but will listen to rap music calling women bitches and whores and other names and use words like nigga \ nigger etc i but if a white person used them words we be classed as racists , strange world we live in . I know which I'd personally listen to .
Old 4th December 2018, 04:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
People moan about songs like that despite they are old and didn't mean anything at that time but will listen to rap music calling women bitches and whores and other names and use words like nigga \ nigger etc i but if a white person used them words we be classed as racists , strange world we live in . I know which I'd personally listen to .
I'll leave this one to Ice Cube.

Old 4th December 2018, 05:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

We live in a world in which there are those who are offended by virtually anything and it really goes well beyond the confines of common sense sometimes. I believe that we should all have respect for one another and the world that we live in would then be a far happier place, but political correctness can sometimes veer into nonsensical territory as in this particular case. How this song has become embroiled in the MeToo movement is just beyond me.

Having said all that I do detest censorship and this is just another example. I remember when some old Tom & Jerry cartoons were released on DVD in the UK and the BBFC removed all scenes involving smoking! I personally hate smoking but censoring old cartoons in that regard is ludicrous. Why not just give them a higher certificate if you are worried about kids watching them? As if the kids of today would want to watch those old cartoons in any case!

Rant over! Resuming normal service!
Old 4th December 2018, 05:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
We live in a world in which there are those who are offended by virtually anything and it really goes well beyond the confines of common sense sometimes. I believe that we should all have respect for one another and the world that we live in would then be a far happier place, but political correctness can sometimes veer into nonsensical territory as in this particular case. How this song has become embroiled in the MeToo movement is just beyond me.

Having said all that I do detest censorship and this is just another example. I remember when some old Tom & Jerry cartoons were released on DVD in the UK and the BBFC removed all scenes involving smoking! I personally hate smoking but censoring old cartoons in that regard is ludicrous. Why not just give them a higher certificate if you are worried about kids watching them? As if the kids of today would want to watch those old cartoons in any case!

Rant over! Resuming normal service!

Sometimes I think political correctness and do-gooders can create more harm than good , eg because of it its almost impossible to discipline kids they took our and teachers rights away and gave kids more rights than us, now we live a society of where kids are rude , ignorant, ungrateful , selfish towards their parents and almost everyone and are out of control, take a look at London where kids are shooting and stabbing each other and they know that they are almost untouchable even by the police , didn't happen when I was a kid why because we where disciplined where your parents where allowed to give you a reasonable slap or teachers gave you the cane or ruler , not allowed today and we be the one's in trouble if it did .
Old 4th December 2018, 05:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blurred Lines was number one yes?

Next!!!

nosferatu42 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th December 2018, 06:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Blurred Lines was number one yes?

Next!!!

And what an appallingly bad song it was!
Old 4th December 2018, 06:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Sometimes I think political correctness and do-gooders can create more harm than good , eg because of it its almost impossible to discipline kids they took our and teachers rights away and gave kids more rights than us, now we live a society of where kids are rude , ignorant, ungrateful , selfish towards their parents and almost everyone and are out of control, take a look at London where kids are shooting and stabbing each other and they know that they are almost untouchable even by the police , didn't happen when I was a kid why because we where disciplined where your parents where allowed to give you a reasonable slap or teachers gave you the cane or ruler , not allowed today and we be the one's in trouble if it did .
I think that there is an element of each previous generation looking at the past through rose-tinted spectacles. I think that has always been and will always be the case. "In my day things were better and kids had more respect!" etc. But I'm sure you will also find plenty of respectful younger people today as well. Now I agree that there is a perception of lower standards of respect in society, partly as a result of the Internet and 24 hour hour media coverage, but I suppose that there is also some truth to it as well.

The mistakes and abuses of the past have been examined and certain policies have been enacted in order to prevent future problems, and I think that is admirable in intent; but in some ways we have gone perhaps a little too far in the opposite direction.

Having said all that I have long believed that the majority of problems in society are socio-economic in nature and could therefore be reduced in various ways, but that is easy to say and more difficult to achieve.

Like this? Share it using the links below!