Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2020, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default the horror channel

hi guys, does any one know if the films that are on the horror channel are cut or not?
i imagine some are and some are not.
the reason im asking is that "the burning " was on it last night {did not watch it } and i wandered if the infamous raft scene was cut or not?

thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 07:42 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
hi guys, does any one know if the films that are on the horror channel are cut or not?
i imagine some are and some are not.
the reason im asking is that "the burning " was on it last night {did not watch it } and i wandered if the infamous raft scene was cut or not?

thanks
It looked uncut too me, with the finger snipping intact last time I watched it. The Horror channel have been known to cut films in the past, the I Spit on Your Grave remake was a different version to the one passed in the UK and Hostel 3 was missing a few things apparently. When they showed Tremors at 9 pm they cut Kevin Bacon's F you to the graboid but they got a lot of complaints on Facebook and said it was shown cut by mistake. They're showing it again next week but this time at about 7pm. That will definitely be cut. The 'Burbs was on last week at round about the same time and they cut the scene where Hanks is watching TV and The Exorcist and TCM 2 clips were removed. They show it uncut after 9pm though. The nudity was also removed from Starman in the first 9pm showing.
Old 31st October 2020, 07:15 AM
Cult Master

Feom MelonFarmers

"The BBFC has just reworked its website and significantly reduced the functionality of its classifications database.

Indeed the new layout is prettier than before but now the database offers significantly less information than before.

The BBFC noted this change in a rather understated tweet:
We have just relaunched our website with a more simplified search function.
In fact the BBFC have removed the following significant functionalities:
  1. The database no longer provides a page listing recent BBFC decisions for upcoming releases. It takes way the transparency of being able to monitor the latest decisions.
  2. The database no longer offers an advance search facility whereby users can seek films by director or cast etc.
  3. The database cannot be searched via alternative titles, even when the film has been released with a different title. Only the title that the BBFC uses as its primary title can be searched upon.
  4. Cuts information detailing the amount of cuts, or even if cuts have been made at all is no longer presented. On occasions that the BBFC has commented on cuts then these comments are still available but these do not detail the amount of running time cut.
  5. Banned/Rejected films no longer appear in the database.

On the plus side the database search facility provides extra links over and above the database entry. For example searching on a title reveals if the film has a case study or is mentioned in a press release. "

From The Reprobate

"The BBFC Returns To A World Of Secrecy

The British censorship board’s website has gone from being a valuable resource to an empty vanity project that covers up their history.

The one positive that we could ascribe to Britain’s notorious film and video censorship body – at least for the last twenty years – has been an impressive openness about their history. It’s often been a revisionist openness that would find excuse after excuse for weird and contradictory decisions, most notably their catch-all excuse of films dating and so no longer being dangerous when once-banned titles are passed, even when the time between the banning and the passing uncut has been six years… but at least we could look at the history of a film at the Board via their website. Details of cuts might be vague, but at least we can see that they were made (and through a process of elimination via varying running times, make an estimate of just how extensive they were). We could look up just how many films had been rejected – which means banned in case you had any doubts, even if the last BBFC website redesign made that a lot harder to do. The history of the Board was there to be examined by anyone who wanted to do so.

Well, that’s now over. The new redesign of the BBFC website seemingly sets out to make it as simplistic and juvenile as their new rating designs, and any attempt to research films is now severely hampered. For instance, you can no longer use an ‘advanced search’ to look for films by director, year, or see everything passed with a certain rating over a certain time period. You can’t search for alternative titles. Cuts are no longer revealed upfront – different running times for different versions are still listed, but we have dig into each individual file to see if this is down to alternative versions, distributor edits or censor cuts.

And banned films are no longer listed at all. To test this out, we looked up The Last House on the Left, a film that the BBFC banned several times between the mid-1970s and 2002, both theatrically and on video. If you were to believe the BBFC website now, the film was never submitted for theatrical release and has always been passed 18 on video since 2002. To say that this is misleading is a considerable understatement. Worse still, looking up the recently banned Love Camp 7 brings up no results at all – it is as if the film doesn’t even exist.

The BBFC search does now also bring up case studies, which are examinations of the history of a film at the BBFC. But there are a mere handful of case studies, mostly for well-known titles. More obscure films have now effectively had their histories wiped from the public record. The entire site now feels as though the Board forgot to tell their web designers that they only needed to redo the children’s BBFC site, and instead ended up with something that is now useless to researchers. A valuable industry resource has beenbutchered in one fell swoop and the slogan ‘view what’s right for you’ must feel very bitter to anyone looking for worthwhile information on this blandly glossy and empty site. But hey, it has a lot more pictures now, so that’s OK.

While the BBFC are a private organisation, they are also the state-mandated censor for home entertainment, and so they have a duty to be as transparent and open as possible. This website redesign is an unwelcome step back into secrecy and misinformation, and should be reconsidered immediately."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd December 2020, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This Made Me Laugh

More old movies could have warnings added about racism and stereotypes, after UK film censors said Ming the Merciless in 1980's Flash Gordon was "dubious if not outright offensive".

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) added a warning about "discriminatory stereotypes" for the film's recent re-release.

Ming was of East Asian appearance and was played by Sweden's Max Von Sydow.

Next year, the BBFC will examine how to handle stereotypes in other old films.

The organisation gave Flash Gordon a 12A rating for its reissue - more strict than the A rating it was given on its original release, which is roughly equivalent to a PG today.

BBFC senior policy officer Matt Tindall said that was because the outdated portrayal of Flash Gordon's nemesis, as well as some violence and bad language.

He said: "Ming the Merciless is coded as an East Asian character due to his hair and make-up, but he's played by a Swedish actor in the film, he's played by Max Von Sydow, which I don't think is something that would happen if this were a modern production, and is something that we're also aware that viewers may find dubious if not outright offensive.

"The character of Ming of course comes from the Flash Gordon comic strips from the 1930s and the serials, and let's just say attitudes towards the acceptability of discriminatory racial stereotypes have moved on considerably since then, and rightly so of course."

'Not acceptable to modern audiences'
Earlier this year, Gone With The Wind had a warning added on US streaming service HBO Max saying the 1939 film "denies the horrors of slavery".

And the BBFC upgraded 1936 musical Show Boat from a U to a PG for "stereotypes, language and behaviour that are not appropriate at U under our current guidelines".

Speaking on a BBFC podcast, Mr Tindall said: "This is something that we have to bear in mind often when we see older films coming in for reclassification - films that might contain discriminatory depictions or stereotypes that are not acceptable to modern audiences, including films where discrimination wasn't the work's intent, just a reflection of the period in which it was made.

"This is an issue that we're currently planning to explore more through research next year, speaking to the public to check that they're happy with the way we're classifying such films and the way we classify issues of discrimination more generally."

Last year, it was reported that Flash Gordon is being remade as an animation, with Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ming.jpg (60.7 KB, 48 views)
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd December 2020, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Insidious buggers. This is a slippery slope right here ... start stockpiling folks!! Show Boat ffs .... not good ... tip of the iceberg.
g053584398 and marvinnashsear like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure how they can suggest someone from the planet Mongo is an East Asian character.

The only ones doing the stereotyping are the BBFC.
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not sure how they can suggest someone from the planet Mongo is an East Asian character.

The only ones doing the stereotyping are the BBFC.
Agree I never thought he was Asian ,he's a alien it does make you think the ones that jump too these type of conclusions maybe need too look in the mirror and think why I'm I jumping too a racist stereotype when no one else has!
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Agree I never thought he was Asian ,he's a alien it does make you think the ones that jump too these type of conclusions maybe need too look in the mirror and think why I'm I jumping too a racist stereotype when no one else has!
He doesn't pronounce words as an East Asian would nor do his eyes appear East Asian. See Christopher Lee in the Fu Manchu films as someone who is not East Asian but made to appear from the region thanks to pronunciation and make up.
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
He doesn't pronounce words as an East Asian would nor do his eyes appear East Asian.
Yep, never seen any one from East Asia that looks remotely like this.

When will all this stupidity just end, what's wrong with these people are they that starved for attention .
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's certainly a weird one. Are alien planets not allowed to have Oriental looking villains?

I guess what they are talking about here in the main is the use of yellowface for an oriental character, missing the point that he is an alien, and might therefore look other-worldly.

I don't think its unreasonable that modern audiences might raise an eyebrow but I think they are quite capable of recognising films in the context of when they were made.

It looks like we might start seeing the introduction of warning stickers like those that appeared on CDs when the moral minority got their knickers in a twist about bad language in songs.

But don't worry about cuts because films are protected by the Human Rights Act under the freedom of expression rule... oh shit... forgot about Brexit and the and associated aim to tear it up...

ah well, you should always be careful about what you vote for...

Like this? Share it using the links below!