Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2021, 09:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah, I watched Steptoe and Son on TPTV too. Been years and years since I last watched it so other than them giving the fingers to the car sounding the horn at them when they’re in the carriage at the beginning of the film, the swearing, and the strip tease scenes, I’d struggle to say exactly what was missing. It was pretty obv it was cut to bits though!

I think the swearing was probably just “sods” and “gits”, but a wee “wanker” was either missed or allowed to stay in towards the end of the film. The end scene where they give the fingers to the royal car and receive the fingers back was also allowed to stay in.

It’s being repeated at 3pm today (Tuesday 7th Sep). I wonder what state it will be in for an even earlier showing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 7th September 2021, 03:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnashsear View Post
Lords of Chaos on Film4 the other week had part of the suicide scene cut. To be fair the stuff that was cut was quite graphic but I was still surprised considering the film was shown after 11pm.
TV channels are quite sensitive to graphic suicide 'procedure' as it were, the fact that the scene focuses on Dead cutting his wrists vertically along the vein is what would cause the snips. It is quite a brutal and unflinching scene in the full version of the film. I wonder if they made the edits themselves or they used the R-Rated version from America?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th September 2021, 05:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
TV channels are quite sensitive to graphic suicide 'procedure' as it were, the fact that the scene focuses on Dead cutting his wrists vertically along the vein is what would cause the snips. It is quite a brutal and unflinching scene in the full version of the film. I wonder if they made the edits themselves or they used the R-Rated version from America?
A scene like that would receive an 18 certificate from the BBFC, which is why the DVD and Blu-ray releases of John Wick II are cut, though I'm not sure why the 4K Ultra HD release is uncut.
Old 7th September 2021, 06:52 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
A scene like that would receive an 18 certificate from the BBFC, which is why the DVD and Blu-ray releases of John Wick II are cut, though I'm not sure why the 4K Ultra HD release is uncut.
Judging by the shots on movie-censorship.com Film4 seems to have cut a bit more than the R rated version. The throat slitting and shotgun blast to the head are both uncut though.

John Wick 2 is an 18 on 4K. Sony did the same thing with both Equalizer films and Brightburn, cut dvd and blu ray but uncut 4K. Don't know why Fox didn't do that with Red Sparrow though. All releases in the UK are cut.
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

It appears that I Spit On Your Grave was submitted last week, there were still cuts.

Is someone trying for another release, not sure if it's had a Blu-Ray yet, possible Box Set with the Sequels and re-makes?
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
It appears that I Spit On Your Grave was submitted last week, there were still cuts.

Is someone trying for another release, not sure if it's had a Blu-Ray yet, possible Box Set with the Sequels and re-makes?
There was a Blu-Ray released in 2020 special edition and it was still a cut version.
Old 23rd June 2022, 10:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
There was a Blu-Ray released in 2020 special edition and it was still a cut version.

That’s why I have the uncut version I bought yrs ago, it’s still cut by almost 3 mins in the uk, with scenes slowed down a little to lengthen it out.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 23rd June 2022, 11:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post

That’s why I have the uncut version I bought yrs ago, it’s still cut by almost 3 mins in the uk, with scenes slowed down a little to lengthen it out.
The download site I been using has the film up will check it out to see if that is a full uncut version as it seems to have films on there that are full uncut.
Old 31st October 2022, 08:45 AM
Cult Master

As reported on Melon Farmers:

"Beyond Fury is a 2019 UK action film by Darren Ward
Starring Dani Thompson, Giovanni Lombardo Radice and Jeff Stewart IMDb
Ex-Mercenary Michael Walker and his pregnant girlfriend Claudia are brutally attacked. Now with Claudia and the unborn child dead, Walker reverts to his military training to hunt down and serve his own kinda street justice.
A BBFC submission was in process but presumably it will be cancelled now.

A Day of Violence is a 2010 UK crime thriller by Darren Ward
Starring Giovanni Lombardo Radice, Nick Rendell and Christopher Fosh IMDb
Mitchell Parker lies dead on a morgue slab. In life, 'Mitchell' served the low ranks of Debt Collectors, surrounded by all the filth and scum that the world had to offer. He thought his luck was in, when on a routine collection he stumbles across 100,000 in cash.
Passed 18 uncut by the BBFC in 2010 for very strong language, strong bloody violence and strong sex.

Sudden Fury is a 1997 UK action drama by Darren Ward.
Starring Chris Barfoot and Antony Dobson and Adam Light. IMDb
Intent on seizing control of South East England's cocaine business, small-time crime boss Randall hires notorious hit-man Walker to take out his competition. When Randall betrays the hit-man, however, the tables are turned.
Passed 18 uncut by the BBFC in 2003.

Direct Darren Ward has reported on Facebook that the planned UK Halloween release of his Crime Trilogy has been cancelled after supermarkets decided that it was too violent to be put on sale. He wrote
I signed a contract with a UK distributor back in June for THE CRIME TRILOGY that covered the UK, Australia & New Zealand. However due to the violent content of my films, the distributor has pulled out resulting in the termination of the contract.

BEYOND FURY and the other two movies WILL NOW NOT BE RELEASED on HALLOWEEN and probably will never see the light of day in the UK.

It deeply saddens me that after everyone's hard work and effort on a movie that has won 6 International awards, has been cast aside due to the simple fact that Supermarkets won't stock them.
What the Supermarkets fail to remember is that when released in 2010 A DAY OF VIOLENCE got to number 10 in the ASDA film charts across the country!

To end on a positive BEYOND FURY will see release in Germany, Austria & Switzerland in 2023! "

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 31st October 2022, 11:06 AM
Cult Veteran

It’s interesting but not really a censorship issue if stores don’t wish to place an order with a distributor and that distributor then cancels the booking with the film producers. I’m sure that if the films are that good then another company that doesn’t rely on the supermarket consumers for their business model could pick it up.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!