Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2008, 06:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes I think that was to the commentary version of LAST HOUSE where additional cuts had to be made.
Old 18th June 2008, 07:06 AM
Ex-member

Wasn't the only reason Nightmares in a Damaged Brain was cut was due to it being the only version available to distributors at that time as the original uncut print was beyond repair?
Old 18th June 2008, 10:32 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Yes I think that was to the commentary version of LAST HOUSE where additional cuts had to be made.
Thanks Angel. I remember Marc mentioning the additional edits on ABUK though I couldn't recall what they were to. I thought it was to smooth some of the scenes over though the commentary sounds more likely.

I think he also said the R-rated Nightmares was the only one available to AB at that time but I could be wrong. Amazing to think the film actually had a UK cinema release though it was pretty heavily cut by the BBFC. The R-rated UK DVD print is over 3 mins longer than the cinema version and some (though not all) of the cuts are certainly restored in it.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Then the Special Ed. of ISOYG I spent 20 quid on, with the words "Fuller Version" and "More Revenge" on the front cover is basically the same as the original release.?
How can they get away with claims like that.?
I checked and as far as I can tell, the revenge scenes are the same in both the original and the Special Ed release. Gangsters!

Last edited by vipco; 18th June 2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes the "Revenge" is the same. There was no reason for the BBFC to cut this section of the film.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:40 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

It's a bit confusing re the UK ISOYG but this is roughly how it goes.

The first (2001) DVD release was cut by 7 mins 2 secs though the distributors 'fleshed' (for want of a better word) out the running time by an extra 2 mins by using substituted footage. It made the film longer, simply because the same shots were looped and shown over and over again. For example you end up with the same reaction shot from Eron Tabor 3 times during the rock rape.

This was the print AB used in the first Box Of The Banned.

The 2nd (2003) DVD release was pre-edited before submission. Rather than use loops the distributors reframed some shots (via closeups, pan/scan etc) which brought the film closer to its original (shorter) running time. You could hear more. You just couldn't see more. Ironically the BBFC then asked for 41 secs of re-edits again because too much nudity & thrusting was seen during the rock rape.

"More Revenge" is a nonsense claim by the distributors. The only cuts to the film were to the rape scenes (and some nudity during Camille Keaton's bath scene). The revenge/violence scenes are uncut in both prints.

I think that's right anyway.
Old 18th June 2008, 01:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I would of snapped up Box of the Banned (both parts) in a heartbeat if it were uncut
Old 18th June 2008, 02:08 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

ISOYG would receive lesser cuts if resubmitted now though it'll be quite a while before the UK sees the film fully uncut.
Old 18th June 2008, 02:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Shots of Jennifer returning to the cabin after the 2nd rape was also cut.

The film probably has more chance of passing uncut than Death Wish 2.

Most of the films that were cut around the period of 2001-2003 would require less cuts today inc Ichi The Killer.
Old 18th June 2008, 02:46 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yes I agree about Death Wish II. The uncut rape/assault of the maid is just plain OTT.

Like this? Share it using the links below!