Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1061Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #421  
Old 6th May 2010, 07:28 AM
Ex-member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NOT ****ING HERE THAT'S FOR SURE!!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
The horsefall cuts in Chato's Land and (especially) Ulzana's Raid are also horrendously edited.
Oh yes. "Chato's" is a real pisser as it's the otherwise uncut print, unlike the R1.
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 6th May 2010, 11:04 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Ah right.
Its still a bit dodgy having just read up on In the Realm of the Senses. They say a boys penis was pulled as punishment in the movie, but even tho that dont sound sexual its still a bit werid.
It's a scene in a bathroom where Sada (the nymphoid, and somewhat psychotic, maid) yanks the young boy's penis after he starts running round the room misbehaving. The UK release reframes the scene by enlarging the top/far left of the screen so the 'yank' is completely missing (the Catwoman/graffiti scene in Great Rock n' Roll Swindle is edited in a similar way).

The whole bathroom scene only runs for a few minutes and is completely irrelevant (and oddly placed) anyway. Excellent and graphic film but not one to watch when you're eating boiled eggs or sushi.
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 6th May 2010, 11:37 AM
nekromantik's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Worthing
Send a message via MSN to nekromantik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
It's a scene in a bathroom where Sada (the nymphoid, and somewhat psychotic, maid) yanks the young boy's penis after he starts running round the room misbehaving. The UK release reframes the scene by enlarging the top/far left of the screen so the 'yank' is completely missing (the Catwoman/graffiti scene in Great Rock n' Roll Swindle is edited in a similar way).

The whole bathroom scene only runs for a few minutes and is completely irrelevant (and oddly placed) anyway. Excellent and graphic film but not one to watch when you're eating boiled eggs or sushi.


I not seen it, never really thought about watching it as its just a graphic sex movie
__________________


My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 6th May 2010, 11:42 AM
Gojirosan's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liverpool, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post


I not seen it, never really thought about watching it as its just a graphic sex movie
Hmmm...I wouldn't call it that! It's a lot, lot more than just a grubby sex flick!

I think the BBFC optical edit is a silly thing, but at least they tried something a tiny bit less destructive than a full on cut.
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 6th May 2010, 12:26 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

It's astonishing to think that Ferman passed In The Realm Of The Senses uncut (bar for the bathroom edit) for cinema back in 1991. Especially given the hardcore scenes involved. Incidentally quite a few countries preferred to use the BBFC edited print.

BBFC case study on the film here.

I agree that it's far more than simply a sex film. Eggs-actly.
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 6th May 2010, 01:41 PM
nekromantik's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Worthing
Send a message via MSN to nekromantik
Default

ha ha
Ok maybe its more

Might check it out
__________________


My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 6th May 2010, 06:49 PM
mark meakin's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alfreton,Derbyshire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
In the case of Dr Dolittle the BBFC have no need to guarantee anything. It was shot under the auspices of the American Humane Society.



The SE of Fistful Of Dynamite featured the alternate print (Duck You Sucker) which contained a horsefall (hence the cut).
The first UK release of FOD from MGM is uncut.The special edition removes horsefall footage during the bridge ambush.They are not wire-trips but the animals are bought down on rocky ground so they would've certainly suffered grazes & cuts.Genghis Khan (1965) on video was also cut for a similar reason in one scene when a horse falls down a sandy hill backwards.Glory (1989) removed a sidefall for theatrical,video & dvd releasaes which is unusual as it was performed by a specially trained horse & sidefalls are usually passed.The 4 seconds or so of cuts have been left intact in a documentary among the extras !(During a confederate cavalry charge).
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 6th May 2010, 07:20 PM
Mojo's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
It's astonishing to think that Ferman passed In The Realm Of The Senses uncut (bar for the bathroom edit) for cinema back in 1991. Especially given the hardcore scenes involved. Incidentally quite a few countries preferred to use the BBFC edited print.

BBFC case study on the film here.

I agree that it's far more than simply a sex film. Eggs-actly.
Ferman habitually cut films to ribbons, but once in a blue moon he'd be 'controversial' and release an arty-farty film like Senses uncut. Didn't he do the same with Salo? Trying to show what a 'true' fan of film he was. Or maybe he was just a perv
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 6th May 2010, 07:25 PM
nekromantik's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Worthing
Send a message via MSN to nekromantik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Ferman habitually cut films to ribbons, but once in a blue moon he'd be 'controversial' and release an arty-farty film like Senses uncut. Didn't he do the same with Salo? Trying to show what a 'true' fan of film he was. Or maybe he was just a perv
Yeah

Its still odd that Salo was never cut by the BBFC but then again if they think its "art" then they will use that as a excuse. If it was not based on history then I doubt they would have passed it.
__________________


My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 6th May 2010, 10:17 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Didn't he do the same with Salo? Trying to show what a 'true' fan of film he was. Or maybe he was just a perv
He rejected it for cinema but felt it was too important a film to discard or cut, and instead suggested it was shown at licensed film clubs (as Trevelyan did with Flesh). As with the latter the cinema ended up being raided by the police but, unlike the latter, Ferman couldn't give it an uncut certificate. So he ended up preparing a heavily edited version (minus around 6 mins) which could be shown at said clubs. As a result Ferman ended up persuading Callaghan's government to incorporate films within the Obscene Publications Act, so preventing police interference from happening again. Just as well really, as the Act acted as a buffer for In The Realm Of The Senses being given a club certificate.

He never granted Salo a cinema certificate, cut or uncut, in his time as BBFC chief.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.