Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2008, 03:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Does anyone know if Argentine film , SNUFF 102, has ever been up before the BBFC at anytime .?
Old 19th June 2008, 03:47 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

No BBFC submission to date.
Old 19th June 2008, 03:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

No BBFC submission as yet, Vipco.

Wonder how it would fare anyway? I think somebody here said that it was pretty extreme.

Edit: Sorry Vince you beat me to it. It will be interesting to hear from anybody who has seen it?
Old 19th June 2008, 03:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just looked at some of the reviews on the IMDB. Yes it definitely would be cut.
Old 19th June 2008, 06:36 PM
Cultist

I remember reading something about a "snuff" film being screened and the director getting beaten up afterwards. Is it this film?
Old 19th June 2008, 06:39 PM
Cultist

See, I should investigate before asking as I've just had a look at IMDB and it's mentioned in the write up about the film. D'oh!
Old 19th June 2008, 07:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I just felt I should let you know that "Hostel Part II" (in the "cut-by-7-secs German release of the unrated version) has now been "properly" and officially added to the list of banned movies in Germany due to the actions of the court in Munich. The decision folllowed a couple of months after it had been already listed on the "b" list of the "index of restricted movies", which the BPJM deems "worthy" of a ban....
It's the most prominent victim of the German crusade against "violent movies" to date. The last "mainstream movies" (as in "produced by a Hollywood major studio) to be banned over there were "Friday, the 13th Part III and IV" in the 80's.
German fans can still buy legally the chopped-by-3-mins sellthrough version of "Hostel Part II"...or simply import from elsewhere.

So, next time you are angered by the BBFC's actions, take a breath of relief and enjoy not being a horror fan living in Germany....I most certainly do in my "northern exile"!

Last edited by Peter Neal; 19th June 2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 19th June 2008, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

New Zealand censors also had a serious problem with Hostel 2 rejecting it at first and then passing a cut version.
Censorship in Germany is way over the top. Bet they wouldn't like Snuff 102.

Last edited by Angel; 19th June 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 19th June 2008, 09:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Errrr...most likely not.

One bizarre extra bit of info: Eli Roth comments on the censorship problems "Hostel Part II" had on its theatrical run in Germany during the audio commentary, poking fun at the German censors...and guess what?
His sarcastic remark was....yes!...CENSORED by Sony on the German release!
If he'd only known back then that the movie would actually end up fully banned....I'd just love to hear him commenting on THAT!
Old 20th June 2008, 06:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Wasn't Irreversible passed uncut there, Peter?

Surprisingly it suffered numerous cuts for the HK C3 rating but passed uncut here in the UK. I don't think there is an R rated version but cuts would seem inevitable.

What notoriously violent films have been passed uncut in Germany? Because presumably even they don't cut everything.

I think banning a film is pointless when cuts could easily remedy the situation. Apart from one or two quite extreme scenes of violence Hostel 2 is fairly tame.

Last edited by Angel; 20th June 2008 at 06:29 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!