Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2014, 08:00 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Our beloved moral guardians that have stopped uncountable copy cat killings and slaughter off our streets for the last 40 years have saved us all once again!
Now, I don't have to tell you just how much better the British Board of Film Censors are now than they used to be....(Seriously, we need a sarcasm font!)
but after cutting the Borowczyk boxset to stop millions of people raping their dogs (or vice versa!) they have gone further in protecting ourselves from....err....ourselves!
Yay Censorship!! (Sarcasm font. Really needed!!)
The Spanish Chain Saw Massacre and Found have both been snippidy snipped by the privately educated elite who have deemed that these films will warp and brainwash the ordinary oik on the street that never made it into university and could quite possibly leave our fair isle in a state of bloodshed that would make Syria send aid.
Thank God for that as I am a 49 year old man and if I saw an ERECT PENIS on screen then it could quite possibly send me into a raving lunatic rushing down the high street ass raping old grannies and killing kids!
Phew! That was close!! Thanks BBFC, you're great!!
If this wasn't a family friendly forum I would be posting cocks a plenty to trigger your rampage. As always your rants are some of the finest and funniest things on here.
Boo Radley and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 13th September 2014, 08:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

A few days after my latest rant (I have a few...normally on this very subject!) I always feel slightly ashamed and dirty like Ron after being down the docks for a double shift.
I can't help it.....it boils up and spews out in a vitriolic bile of unadulterated hate and loathing that has been carefully nurtured for too many decades.
What amazes me nowadays though is not so much the BBFC cutting films, as that is what they do, whatever they want to call themselves, but the total apathy from "horror fans" who then excuse and agree with them.
If fans back in the '80's had the same reaction, then today we would even worse censorship than we already do. We fought against it, had underground 'zines, organized film fairs and special screenings and wherever you met another fan you had one thing in common, the hatred of an organization that said we were too immature to watch a fantasy film.
Today so called fans applaud and agree with censorship, it makes me shake my head in disgust and shame. Then the rant comes out!
Very few of you seem bothered that the BBFC STILL cut between 20 and 70 films a year.....think about that next time before saying that they are Classifiers and so much better than they were before.
If you really want to set me off in full on rant mode then tell me that they only cut things required by law now and I will tell you your arrogance is only exceeded by your ignorance!
The censorship in this country is far more about class and education than harmful images, the elite will send you off to kill foreigners for cheaper oil (Or Stargates if you believe the documentary on H2 yesterday!!!) but when you return will forbid you to watch a 30/40 year old film, "in case your mind cannot separate a film from reality." Really? Fu*k off!

I would like to thank Cult Labs for not removing my rages against the machine and not banning me....some of you may not agree with my viewpoint but you are just wrong!!
Old 13th September 2014, 08:45 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
What amazes me nowadays though is not so much the BBFC cutting films, as that is what they do, whatever they want to call themselves, but the total apathy from "horror fans" who then excuse and agree with them.
If fans back in the '80's had the same reaction, then today we would even worse censorship than we already do.
I think a lot of it comes down to apathy, and some people knowing what the BBFC are like through experience. Sure, they've improved, but some of their decisions are more than questionable at times. However, thanks to the internet revolution instead of people getting angry and petitioning and venting they now instead just shrug, say "f*ck it" and order the corresponding uncut disc from abroad with a few clicks of their mouse button. Everyone else just lives in ignorant bliss and buys a trimmed product.

Oh and keep on ranting, Boo - whilst we don't always agree, I always like reading your contributions here.
Old 13th September 2014, 12:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
A few days after my latest rant (I have a few...normally on this very subject!) I always feel slightly ashamed and dirty like Ron after being down the docks for a double shift.
It's only a myth that Ron works down the docks....but you...you're just a nutter.

Old 13th September 2014, 03:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's only a myth that Ron works down the docks....but you...you're just a nutter.

Listen my friend i can get down and dirty with the best of them,as for Boo,well at least he doesn't own a basement full of assault rifles,or does he ???
Old 13th September 2014, 05:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
but when you return will forbid you to watch a 30/40 year old film, "in case your mind cannot separate a film from reality." Really? Fu*k off!
Yes but the research will prove it is harmful to kids.....and my dog is partial to a bit of Fulci! Graham Bright was right!

As for Stargates well thats more believable than Graham Bright's statement.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 14th September 2014, 09:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
Listen my friend i can get down and dirty with the best of them,as for Boo,well at least he doesn't own a basement full of assault rifles,or does he ???
Assault rifles....unfortunately not but I would if I could. I do have the following though....
Zombie Tools | Makers of Bladed Weapons | Missoula, Montana and,
Crossbows - Hunting Crossbows - Tactical Crossbow: Kodabow and
Diamond Outlaw Review - BowTech Compound Bow Inspection and
Welcome to Strider Knives
plus a few other.....err.....items.... next on my wish list is this little bugger,
WASP Injection Systems, Inc. - WASP Injection Knife

See if that bloody zombie apocalypse doesn't happen......!!!
Old 14th September 2014, 10:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The question of censorship is an interesting one. But I would like a few facts. Does anybody know where to get a complete list of cut films for 2014? Judging by the debate here the list on Melon Farmers must be incomplete as it lists only 5 films that required cuts in order to receive a certificate. 2 due to animal cruelty - including Jake West's DVD, 1 due to sexual abuse of a child, 1 for sexual violence and 1 for imitable behaviour - which explains why I have not yet purchased Soulmate a film that was shown uncut at last years Frightfest Halloween event.

Are we really talking about 5 films or the 60-70 mentioned earlier in the thread?

I abhor censorship of works that are within the law (which based on melon farmers appears to be only 2 in 2014), but I am much more concerned by the distributors who censor their own films for commercial motive.
Old 14th September 2014, 12:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I think you'll find I said 20 to 70 films a year cut by the film censors.
Here, take a look at this year. BBFC Cuts by the Year: 2014

Only 25 so far but we still have a few months to go.

2013. BBFC Cuts by the Year: 2013

This doesn't take into consideration the hundreds of adult sex films cut and banned every year either. If you add those into the mix the BBFC cut THOUSANDS of films a year.

Hey, but they're SOOO much better than they used to be....
Old 14th September 2014, 12:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think you'll find I said 20 to 70 films a year cut by the film censors.
Here, take a look at this year. BBFC Cuts by the Year: 2014

Only 25 so far but we still have a few months to go.

2013. BBFC Cuts by the Year: 2013

This doesn't take into consideration the hundreds of adult sex films cut and banned every year either. If you add those into the mix the BBFC cut THOUSANDS of films a year.

Hey, but they're SOOO much better than they used to be....
I started to read the list of films cut so far this year.

The majority of the films , Found excepted, are cut by the distributors to achieve kid friendly ratings not the BBFC.
PaulD likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!