Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2012, 05:24 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I was always amazed SWEENEY 2 never got an 'X' in the first place as I always thought the first film deserved an AA more & that remains an '18' on dvd.
both films should be a 15 on dvd
madness at the BBFC as usual
Old 30th September 2012, 06:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Things are getting better though... remember back in the 90's when ITV would redub films with cuss words, so Bill Paxton's "**** You asshole!" in Terminator became "Get outa here disco dude", while Bruce Willis' Yippee ki-yay, mother****er, in Die Hard was changed to "Yippee ki-yay kemo sabe"

(While previewing this post I noticed the cuss words are rubbed out )
Old 30th September 2012, 06:53 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Things are getting better though... remember back in the 90's when ITV would redub films with cuss words, so Bill Paxton's "**** You asshole!" in Terminator became "Get outa here disco dude", while Bruce Willis' Yippee ki-yay, mother****er, in Die Hard was changed to "Yippee ki-yay kemo sabe"

(While previewing this post I noticed the cuss words are rubbed out )
Just dropping out of lurk mode to respond to this.

As I recall, Terminator was shown on BBC2 and "F### You Asshole" became "Eat This Scum" (as he prepared to stick him with a flick knife).

I seem to recall Die Hard had all the "F" words removed, but the "S" words remained.

Similarly, "Aliens" "F###" became "Sh1t" and Hudson's (Bill Paxton) line as he shoved his gun in Carter Burke's face became "Lets grease this rat FAT son of a bitch", and as I recall it was the same guy over dubbing the swear words for all the marines, so there voices would all inexplicably change mid sentence.

Best one was when ITV showed Robocop, "Asshole" became "Airhead", "F### Me" became "Fly Me" and Clarence Bodiker drove AROUND the guy who'd been dumped in the acid vat.

You'd never believe they did such things nowadays!
Wes likes this.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Realm-...43030832454357
Old 30th September 2012, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Harry Enfield did a sketch on his show back in the day, 2 gangsters talk in overdubbed gibberish replacing the swearing, at the end a voice-over says "This film has been especially ruined for you by the BBC"
Rik likes this.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:36 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I first saw Robocop on TV and, in the scene where Murphy is shot and Clarence takes a shotgun to his hand, that bit was cut. In this cut version, you saw Clarence point a shotgun in the direction of Murphy's head and hand, pull the trigger with Murphy screaming followed by a shot of his face covered in blood.

Until I saw it uncut on video, I was under the impression that Murphy had been shot in the head and somehow survived!
Old 30th September 2012, 11:05 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I first saw Robocop on TV and, in the scene where Murphy is shot and Clarence takes a shotgun to his hand, that bit was cut. In this cut version, you saw Clarence point a shotgun in the direction of Murphy's head and hand, pull the trigger with Murphy screaming followed by a shot of his face covered in blood.

Until I saw it uncut on video, I was under the impression that Murphy had been shot in the head and somehow survived!
Same here! I had it recorded off ITV when I was about 13. I only got round to seeing the full version when I was about 20 and was shocked at how violent it was
Old 30th September 2012, 11:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Same here! I had it recorded off ITV when I was about 13. I only got round to seeing the full version when I was about 20 and was shocked at how violent it was
I had a similar experience with "Black Christmas" and how violent the language was in the phone calls in the uncut version, not the nice version I saw on TV years before.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Still though, thanks to the BBFC and their cutting, it made the first few outlaw years of DVD the best film watching era of my life as I was finally getting to see uncut R1 versions of Re-Animator, Hellraiser II, Zombie Flesh Easters, The Beyond and so on and banned stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre... For a VHS-era guy like me, it's just...well, no fun, seeing BBFC-blessed New York Ripper and Last House on the Left in HMV ! I mean back in the 90's no one could see a day when that could happen...
Old 1st October 2012, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Which film was it with the infamous melonfarmers dub, Commando? The Beverly Hills Cops films on TV were my favourite dubbed films, Rosewood in Part 2 saying "oh f-damn" when in the cement mixer being the best worst dubbing
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st October 2012, 09:06 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Which film was it with the infamous melonfarmers dub, Commando? The Beverly Hills Cops films on TV were my favourite dubbed films, Rosewood in Part 2 saying "oh f-damn" when in the cement mixer being the best worst dubbing
The Melonfarmers dub was Repo Man.

Like this? Share it using the links below!