Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2014, 02:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's all about control gag.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th March 2014, 02:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
i know we are against cencorship.. and some films get cut because the scene might be to gory / graphic / violent etc.
but i really cant understand extremely pointless cuts . sometimes i compare the cuts on video cencorship on the net and some cuts are just a waste of time and pointless. and the amount of time money and effort to make these cuts are also time wasting..example
instead of 3 squirts of blood from a killing scene u see 2 squirts.
or you see someone get killed but they cut out 3 seconds of them falling to the floor... do you not think that these cuts are just a pure waste of time and pointless..and for what reason do they do this ?
I agree, some cuts are completely pointless. Like the 2 second cut to Cannibal Apocalypse to eliminate the sight of some burning rats, while the censors leave in the scene of a chicken being slaughtered in the U rated, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:29 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I agree, some cuts are completely pointless. Like the 2 second cut to Cannibal Apocalypse to eliminate the sight of some burning rats, while the censors leave in the scene of a chicken being slaughtered in the U rated, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
Just dropping out of lurk mode to field that one.

It's something to do with the cruelty to animals act, or whatever its called. The BBFC cannot legally pass material which is liable to fall foul of UK law.

According to the BBFC, animal deaths in films are fine so long as its quick and "humane". The rats in Cannibal Apocalypse would have suffered greatly from being splattered with napalm, whereas the chicken death was (presumably) quick and painless. Hence why it stays in whilst tha rats get cut.

There was a similar contradiction in "Faces of Death", the monkey brain eating scene had a relatively innocuous scene, showing the monkey being strapped up, was cut whilst the actual death and subsequent brain eating was left intact. Because the monkey was liable to have been "in distress" when it was being strapped up, the BBFC were forced to cut it. Whereas the "death" scene was faked using a dummy head, so was left in the film.

The world of the censor is indeed a strange one!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Realm-...43030832454357
Old 5th March 2014, 11:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonT View Post
Just dropping out of lurk mode to field that one.

It's something to do with the cruelty to animals act, or whatever its called. The BBFC cannot legally pass material which is liable to fall foul of UK law.

According to the BBFC, animal deaths in films are fine so long as its quick and "humane". The rats in Cannibal Apocalypse would have suffered greatly from being splattered with napalm, whereas the chicken death was (presumably) quick and painless. Hence why it stays in whilst tha rats get cut.

There was a similar contradiction in "Faces of Death", the monkey brain eating scene had a relatively innocuous scene, showing the monkey being strapped up, was cut whilst the actual death and subsequent brain eating was left intact. Because the monkey was liable to have been "in distress" when it was being strapped up, the BBFC were forced to cut it. Whereas the "death" scene was faked using a dummy head, so was left in the film.

It certainly is! I remember being quite shocked as a kid after seeing that poor chicken having its head lopped off in Willy Wonka.
Old 6th March 2014, 01:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

i can understand some ppl comments but im talking about completly pointless cuts . like said eg when someone killed and you see 3 squirts of blood but it cuts out the last one and you only see 2 squirts of blood.
Old 6th March 2014, 02:44 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I don't even consider the BBFC anymore. If it's uncut and on UK shores I buy it. If it's cut then I do some global shopping and get it uncut.

Obviously it's not always that simple, but sometimes it is.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:45 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonT View Post

I don't see how that's a contradiction. It seems perfectly in keeping with their guidelines based on uk law - the scene wasn't cut because of its impact on the viewer but because it breached their guidelines/uk law.
Old 6th March 2014, 10:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I don't even consider the BBFC anymore. If it's uncut and on UK shores I buy it. If it's cut then I do some global shopping and get it uncut.

Obviously it's not always that simple, but sometimes it is.
That's the approach I also take when it comes to buying films. If you're not sure whether a particular film is cut or not in the UK, simply do a little online research. When it came to Cannibal Apocalypse, I thought the BBFC cut was so small it simply wasn't worth importing the uncut version with the extra 2 seconds. Also, the Cinema Club DVD had a better transfer than the Image one.
Old 21st March 2014, 10:01 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Bad news guys. Typical big-headed Mary Whitehouse wannabe thinking he has the right to dictate what we can and can't watch.

Besides if anything it just makes me want to view The Hospital (which I had never heard of) more. Censorship ****s up again and has the complete opposite effect it was intending!

Tesco remove DVD nasty The Hospital from shelves after Citizen intervention | Gloucester Citizen
Old 21st March 2014, 10:11 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
Bad news guys. Typical big-headed Mary Whitehouse wannabe thinking he has the right to dictate what we can and can't watch.

Besides if anything it just makes me want to view The Hospital (which I had never heard of) more. Censorship ****s up again and has the complete opposite effect it was intending!

Tesco remove DVD nasty The Hospital from shelves after Citizen intervention | Gloucester Citizen
I saw a link to that on Facebook and felt like contacting Tesco to complain that I couldn't buy The Hospital in my local store or on their website.

Like this? Share it using the links below!