Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th June 2008, 03:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Censorship

Was just wondeing if anybody knew ( Angel, Vince ) how the censorship laws stand in Ireland.
As im from N.Ireland the BBFC cert is the legal requirement, but some DVD's feature both BBFC and the Irish Censorship Board certs.
What I really want to know is, do the Irish Censor usually just approve the BBFC version or do they review films and rate them themselves, reguardless of any UK version .

I ask as on IMDb , some films you get just the UK details and some give both UK and IRE. details with the Irish version sometimes running longer.

If I took a trip down to Dublin would I find much difference between whats on the Zavvi shelves in Dublin compared to Belfast .?
I ask as I was thinking of going down for a DVD and Game 'shop' and take advantage of the lack of Customs at the boarder.
Old 15th June 2008, 05:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

This should answer most of your questions, Vipco.

http://www.ifco.ie/ifco/ifcoweb.nsf/...t&type=graphic

As far as I can see the IFCO do their own classifying, however Irish censorship is very similar to UK censorship. The BBFC, for whatever reason did start accepting IFCO ratings on UK discs in 2004 providing the ratings are the same, at least on the cover.

From what I've heard the IFCO no longer ban films. Bizarre info because they just banned Murder Set Pieces. In any case you can't suddenly decide to stop banning films because there would be obvious problems.

Apparently they passed the uncut Cannibal Holocaust over there. A film which was previously banned. A surprising decision indeed considering what their VRA 1989 states.
Old 15th June 2008, 08:01 PM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

More and more UK discs feature the Irish censors certifcate, either on the sleeve or the disc itself. In the majority of cases these are the same, but there are occasional differences with the Irish censor generally being more lenient I'd say e.g. the Mission Impossible bonus disc is rated 12 for Ireland and 15 here, as was (I think) Charlies Angels. There are one or two quite surprising differences I've noted in discs I have put can't lay my hands on them just now. I'd be interested to see what was available in Ireland and whether there are films passed there that aren't available here? Does anyone know of notable differences in UK/Irish ratings?

p.s. looking at the IFCO site I was interested to see they have more certificates than the UK including a '16' and a '15A'. Children can therefore see any film rated up to and including '15A' if accompanied by an adult.

Last edited by gore64; 15th June 2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 15th June 2008, 11:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The VRA only covers the UK Angel, which includes Northern Ireland but not Southern Ireland .
The Republic of Ireland, or the South of Ireland , is a separate country and not part of the UK.
As a resident of Northern Ireland im a British citizen and have a UK passport but I also qualify for an Irish passport as well as we are entitled to dual nationality here.

As I live in Belfast, BBFC Certs are law for all films sold here, so im not to sure how the classifications stand in the South . I'll try and find any Irish based DVD websites and post a link., Gore .

Looks like a trip down to Dublin for me then, pick up a few DVD's and enjoy a few pints of Guiness.

Last edited by vipco; 15th June 2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 15th June 2008, 11:39 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

This is a handy site for comparing Motion Picture Rating Systems
Old 16th June 2008, 05:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
The VRA only covers the UK Angel, which includes Northern Ireland but not Southern Ireland .
The Republic of Ireland, or the South of Ireland , is a separate country and not part of the UK.

Perhaps I've got it wrong but it clearly states on the IFOC's website that they have their own VRA (1989) which is different from the (1984) VRA that applies to the UK.
Old 16th June 2008, 06:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I would like to know which films have been banned here but passed in Ireland?

I can only think of one...MIKEY! Banned by the BBFC but passed 18 there. They rarely pass films though that have been banned by the BBFC, of course it appears that these films have strangely never been submitted there because they have not been banned there either, MSP apart. But would they pass Love Camp 7 or Women in Cellblock 9? Seems doubtful.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:56 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The film that I remember caused a big stir in Ireland was Bad Leautant . (Forgive spelling) I think it was banned, or held a while then cut for blasphemy in ROI
Films which feature blasphemy or are contraversal in a religious way, would quite possibly be banned. Driller Killer , I think, is still banned in Ireland though Cannibal Holocaust was banned until 2006 then re rated as 18.

Last edited by vipco; 16th June 2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 16th June 2008, 12:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I believe the ban on Bad Lieutenant was over turned a few years ago after the law there was changed.

By the way a remake is on it's way starring Nick Cage.
Old 16th June 2008, 12:53 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
By the way a remake is on it's way starring Nick Cage.
Terrifying thought isn't it?

Like this? Share it using the links below!