Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which Video Nasties are the best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which Video Nasties are the best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2008, 01:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I didn't mean they said UNCUT and weren't, I meant the many different phares they used to hide the fact a film was cut but make it look like it wasn't .

Banned as a nasty since 1984, now available for the 1st time.. and similar phrases like that.

I was also mainly refering to their 90's add campaign for their Cult Classics range when full page adds in Video World were worded to make you think the films were uncut.
One of VIPCO's favourite terms was' Passed with NO further cuts by the BBFC. or Previously Banned, Now Available for the 1ST Time. or This Version has been Passed Uncut By the BBFC.
All HINTNG at uncut but never saying it, some even telling you its cut but in away making you think the opposite.
I was only saying how clever VIPCO were with wording.

Thats all I meant.
All I was saying is now they could make a film SEEM uncut with clever wording While saying it was actually cut with the THIS VERSION HAS BEEN HAS BEEN PASSED UNCUT BY THE BBFC ( Bloody moon Cult Classics) but not saying the version was pre cut.
The phrases they used to sell the film all HINTED at it being complete while they were actually saying it was cut.
STONEVISION who came up with the 'MORE GORE' slogan also had ORIGINAL VERSION, on the first release of ISOYG, which could easily be mistaken by non horror fans as uncut especially as it said previously banned beside it.
Im sorryfor my poor posting skill.
I just meant how slogans can give the impression that a films uncut.

I hope i've made it clear what I was trying to say in the 1st place, as it seems I wasn't putting it across right.

It seemed like it was pick on vipco (me) week for a while there.
Old 7th August 2008, 04:34 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Hardgore were somewhat misleading with their re-edited release of I Spit On Your Grave.

New Print! - Correct. It was completely re-edited by the distributors so you saw closeups and zooms of green leaves and sunshine skies instead of repeated looped shots.
Fuller Version! - Well, not really. It actually ran shorter than the previous release, because that one repeated some footage to flesh the running time out. It was certainly closer to the original versions running time though.
More Revenge! - Nah. The revenge scenes were never cut by the BBFC and were also intact in the previous release.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:15 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just saw "Nightmares In A Damaged Brain" - I'd give it a 2.5/5.

The gore was brilliant - but the acting and script were pretty bad (which I was expecting and don't really mind) and the ending was kinda weak, [SPOILER ALERT!!!!!] I thought, I mean, all the way through the film it had been building up to the killer killing (!) the whole family (which I was looking forward to ! ) but the little 9 year old boy just picked up a gun and shot him a couple of times, so calmly. Kind of an anti-climax i thought - there was no real struggle IMO. But then again the gore was brilliant! And it did have some really gr8 tense parts! Did I mention the gory scenes?
Old 16th August 2008, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Finally saw 'Absurd' yesterday I really enjoyed it. Some of the death scenes were excellent. Great ending too.

Maybe it's just me but it kind of reminded me of a more brutal and gory version of 'Halloween'. The references to Eastman as The Bogey Man, the cop and the priest trying to track him down and the big showdown after he gets into the house at the end seemed kind of similar IMO.
Old 16th August 2008, 10:42 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I preferred Anthro but Absurd is still a good fun film with some excellent gore scenes. The old UK cinema print had cuts of just under 3 minutes (none of which would be required now), and it's long overdue for a UK DVD release.
Old 16th August 2008, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Gonna re-watch Anthro this afternoon as I haven't seen it for a while, but yeah, it's a great film. There's something about Eastman's character in Anthro and Absurd that's quite scary, and some of the scenes in Anthro are really tense. I'd say it's probably D'Amato's best film (based on the ones I've seen).

Is there still no plans for a UK release of Absurd? I heard the rights are owned by a pretty big company, I don't know which one though.
Old 16th August 2008, 05:07 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
I heard the rights are owned by a pretty big company, I don't know which one though.
I think it's MGM.
Old 16th August 2008, 05:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
I didn't mean they said UNCUT and weren't, I meant the many different phares they used to hide the fact a film was cut but make it look like it wasn't .

Banned as a nasty since 1984, now available for the 1st time.. and similar phrases like that.

I was also mainly refering to their 90's add campaign for their Cult Classics range when full page adds in Video World were worded to make you think the films were uncut.
One of VIPCO's favourite terms was' Passed with NO further cuts by the BBFC. or Previously Banned, Now Available for the 1ST Time. or This Version has been Passed Uncut By the BBFC.
All HINTNG at uncut but never saying it, some even telling you its cut but in away making you think the opposite.
I was only saying how clever VIPCO were with wording.

Thats all I meant.
All I was saying is now they could make a film SEEM uncut with clever wording While saying it was actually cut with the THIS VERSION HAS BEEN HAS BEEN PASSED UNCUT BY THE BBFC ( Bloody moon Cult Classics) but not saying the version was pre cut.
The phrases they used to sell the film all HINTED at it being complete while they were actually saying it was cut.
STONEVISION who came up with the 'MORE GORE' slogan also had ORIGINAL VERSION, on the first release of ISOYG, which could easily be mistaken by non horror fans as uncut especially as it said previously banned beside it.
Im sorryfor my poor posting skill.
I just meant how slogans can give the impression that a films uncut.

I hope i've made it clear what I was trying to say in the 1st place, as it seems I wasn't putting it across right.

It seemed like it was pick on vipco (me) week for a while there.
Nah -no one picking on you mate-VIPCO WERE very clever (sly) with wording.
They extracted words from TIME OUT for DEATH TRAP,when the Time Out review actually has not a lot of good to say about the film.
They ALWAYS managed to find something from somewhere favourable about their releases (albeit,VIPCO edited ).
What was the bullshit on the front of 'BRAIN FIX'?.......
One of the worst pieces of shit I've ever wasted 80 odd minutes of my life on....
Old 18th August 2008, 09:13 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I wasn't being serious Reap's, I know no one was picking on me.
Old 18th August 2008, 06:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Cool mate.
Who can give us some misleading Vipco classic quotes?

Like this? Share it using the links below!