Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which Video Nasties are the best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which Video Nasties are the best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Me neither Reaper, It's a film i've wanted to see for so long but never been able to find a copy of it. I once saw a pre-cert vhs of it on e-bay but it went for like 45 quid or something, bit out of my price range for a video
I always keep my eye out for DVD-R copies but not found one yet, really hoping it gets a R2 release sometime soon.
Old 3rd August 2008, 10:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

There are 14 films on that list that I still haven't seen inc Blood Feast, Frozen Scream, Gestapo's Last Orgy and I Miss You Hugs and Kisses. The latter film being classified by the BBFC under the title Drop Dead Dearest.

Last edited by Angel; 3rd August 2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 3rd August 2008, 11:20 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Gestapo's Last Orgy was vile and I loathed it (though it isn't as bad as The Beast In Heat in terms of sheer nastiness).
I Miss You, Hugs & Kisses is immensely boring and mainly consists of Elke Sommer being repeatedly murdered. The rest of it is just confusing and bland, especially the ending.
Blood Feast (the 2nd UK DVD is uncut) is like Plan 9 From Outer Space with gizzards. So inept it's almost entertaining.
I haven't seen Frozen Scream either.
Old 3rd August 2008, 01:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Frozen Scream is lousy too.Its attempt at a syringe through eye sequence was rubbish compared to the excellent effect in Dead & Buried.I think water was merely squirted at a movie camera lens in FS.Very tame & boring & I don't know why it was banned.
Old 3rd August 2008, 02:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes it's incredible some of the innocuous stuff that ended up on the list.
Old 3rd August 2008, 02:51 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I've never seen 'Hugs and Kisses' or The Witch who came in from the sea.
Will have to check what else I haven't seen from the list, though i've seen or own quite a few in one fornat or another. I think theres about another 4 I haven't seen.

I agree with Angel on Absurd, good beginning and ending, but poor middle.

Last edited by vipco; 3rd August 2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I quite liked 'Witch who came from the sea'. I got it in Box of the Banned 2 (Uncut I think) It's quite a slow moving film and quite a bizarre film but I found it really interesting. Definatley one of the strangest nasties that I've seen. It took me a couple of watches to get into it, after the first watch I really didnt know what to make of it but it's worth checking out. What did everyone else think of it? Opinions seem to be split on this one from what I've heard.
Old 3rd August 2008, 09:47 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yep the BOTB2 version of Witch Who Came From The Sea is fully uncut. It does seem to split opinions evenly. Personally I found it an excellent film with superb performances (especially Millie Perkins).

The advertising for the film didn't help as it was promoted like a horror/slasher film, which it certainly isn't. More of a psychological thriller really and a well-made one at that.
Old 3rd August 2008, 11:36 PM
Cult Rookie

Okay, went with 'The Beyond'... and have just pushed that badboy into the lead with 9 votes!!

Was torn between that, 'The Evil Dead', 'Cannibal Holocaust', 'Zombie Flesheaters' and 'Tenebre'... classics each and every one!
Old 4th August 2008, 10:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I wish someone would give 'Snuff' a good R2 release. It was like 5 years ago it passed uncut or something and it's never surfaced. I know it's a terrible film but it's always been a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine That guy that everyone calls Sa-taan whose voice echoes when he speaks
Maybe it's got sentimental value or something, It was one of the first nasties I bought back when I started collecting them, because it really is shockingly bad.

Still, I think it deserves a release, Blue Undergrounds less-than-bare bones release is pretty dire. Personally I never liked that bootleg feel they tried to give it with the paper bag cover, I'd prefer to see a decent release maybe with the original artwork or something, that'd be great.

Like this? Share it using the links below!