Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes, sorry that's what I meant.

The BBFC did reject over 100 films from 1970 to 1979

Today cinema rejections are rare partly because the BBFC are much less scissor happy and also because most of the really strong stuff is only submitted for DVD.

According to the BBFC they are less strict in regards to cinema classification but somehow I doubt Murder Set Pieces would have fared any better if it had been submitted for cinema.
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Cannibal sub genre wasn't that popular with the BBFC.
Though alot are getting released now with just the animal kills cut, the last submission's of Holocaust, Ferox, Eaten Alive and Mountain of Cannibal god were cut for human violence as well.
I think Bruno Mattei's Cannibal film, not sure of title, but its like a prequel to Holocaust, was rejected about 2000. I think it may have been Mattei's last film, not sure .

The Cockfighter's another that I think still presents problems., as does Devil Hunter, (Angel, Vince.?) the film, not our member Devil Hunter.

I recon each time they get a new Jess Franco film in for classification, it has them running for the sissors....LOL
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN must have been one of the BBFC'S most 'bounced in and out' films.....A cult classic!
The Tartan release features an excellent booklet detailing the problems the film faced.(As does BLOOD FOR DRACULA)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:37 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Though alot are getting released now with just the animal kills cut, the last submission's of Holocaust, Ferox, Eaten Alive and Mountain of Cannibal god were cut for human violence as well.

The Cockfighter's another that I think still presents problems., as does Devil Hunter, (Angel, Vince.?) the film, not our member Devil Hunter.
The Vipco DVD of Mountain Of The Cannibal God was only cut to the two fighting animal scenes (bird/monkey & monkey/snake). The human violence was intact. Last Cannibal World had cuts to the crocodile mutilation and the rape of Me Me Lai. The latter also featured in Eaten Alive and would have been cut anyway if Vipco had submitted the uncut print. The castration scene was missing in the same film (due to it's pre-cutting) but passed intact in MOTCG.

Cockfighter has never been formally submitted to the BBFC due to the subject matter. They wouldn't reject it but every cockfighting scene would have to be cut or heavily re-edited.

Apparently The Devil Hunter (and Bloody Moon) have both passed intact though we await confirmation on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN must have been one of the BBFC'S most 'bounced in and out' films.....A cult classic!
The Tartan release features an excellent booklet detailing the problems the film faced.(As does BLOOD FOR DRACULA)
Yes Craig Lapper's booklet on the BBFC cuts to these two is superb. Flesh For Frankenstein was almost rejected for cinema but instead ended up with around 8 mins of cuts. Blood For Dracula fared better (but was still quite heavily cut) and even managed to pass uncut for video in the 90's.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Thanks for the infor Vince.The snake/monkey has got to be the most sickening piece of film i've seen, especially as its shown as an extra on the BU dvd that the monkey was clearly thrown to the snake.....vile.!
The VIPCO release was also missing the pig shagging scene. I wonder if VIPCO would have had access to it would the BBFC have passed it.
I think they would as the BBFC passed the lizard killing and heart removal in MOTg.
Do you know if Blackhorse submitted the full print for their re release of Cannibal god.?
Old 4th October 2008, 12:25 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Judging by their track record so far (Cannibal Holocaust, The Burning etc) it looks as if Blackhorse are simply resubmitting the previous Vipco prints. They'll probably do the same with Mountain - and maybe even House By The Cemetery, Night Of The Demon, Toolbox Murders, Island Of Death & Cannibal Ferox if they re-release them. Crazy really. If they submit the uncut prints the first 3 would fly through intact now and the last 2 would have far less cuts than before.

I'm not 100% if the orgy/masturbation & pig scenes would have passed intact in 2001 when Mountain was last submitted. There's no reason why they shouldn't now though.
Old 4th October 2008, 06:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The main problem for the BBFC regarding The Devil Hunter is the scene where a woman is raped whilst her hands are tied. The scene also involves some partial nudity. But unusually for a Franco film the camera is mainly kept at a distance prior to the rape and with the man standing in front of the woman during the actual rape blocking any nudity.

The other sequence earlier on showing a naked woman tied to a tree being molested and having her flesh ripped away could have been a problem. But over here the scene keeps cutting away to another sequence. I always find this has the effect of diminishing the impact of a particular scene. The scene above was simply ludicrous anyway.

After the passing of Franco's Demons it wouldn't surprise me if Devil Hunter was passed uncut.

Apparently the BBFC have also passed the uncut Castle Freak and the sexualised violence in this film is supposed to be pretty strong. They really do seem to be making efforts to pass whatever they can these days.

Yeah Cockfighter would no doubt pass as I don't think the BBFC have ever rejected a film purely on the grounds of cruelty to animals but as mentioned the cuts would have to be quite extensive.
Old 4th October 2008, 04:25 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It'll pass Angel......
(Hope I ain't wrong this time!)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th October 2008, 11:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepshow View Post
Wasn't that Nick Palumbo film MURDER SET PIECES recently rejected?

Edit: yes it was:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...2?OpenDocument

Rejected 27th Feb this year.
This states that the version of MSP submitted to the BBFC is 105 minutes long. Isn't the uncut/ directors cut only around 90 minutes long?

Another film which would be flat out rejected would be 'August Undergrounds Mordum'. I have no doubt about that, if they cut it it would have to be about 10 minutes long. I know you meant cinema releases before but even with DVD releases, I dosen't seem theres much that would be flat out rejected these days. In all honesty, I was actually quite surprised MSP was banned, cuts would have surely been sufficient IMO.
Old 5th October 2008, 12:23 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I recon Snuf 102 if submitted could get rejected.

Like this? Share it using the links below!