Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th October 2008, 07:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
This states that the version of MSP submitted to the BBFC is 105 minutes long. Isn't the uncut/ directors cut only around 90 minutes long?

Another film which would be flat out rejected would be 'August Undergrounds Mordum'. I have no doubt about that, if they cut it it would have to be about 10 minutes long. I know you meant cinema releases before but even with DVD releases, I dosen't seem theres much that would be flat out rejected these days. In all honesty, I was actually quite surprised MSP was banned, cuts would have surely been sufficient IMO.

QUOTE=Halloween_22;15140]This states that the version of MSP submitted to the BBFC is 105 minutes long. Isn't the uncut/ directors cut only around 90 minutes long?

Another film which would be flat out rejected would be 'August Undergrounds Mordum'. I have no doubt about that, if they cut it it would have to be about 10 minutes long. I know you meant cinema releases before but even with DVD releases, I dosen't seem theres much that would be flat out rejected these days. In all honesty, I was actually quite surprised MSP was banned, cuts would have surely been sufficient IMO.
The version of Murder Set Pieces that was submitted to the BBFC was the unrated US theatrical version, which as mentioned was much longer. This was actually a work print as the director simply didn't have time to edit the film which he later did for the DVD. The theatrical version overall is actually stronger in terms of violence. It's incredible that some body would have taken the time to submit this to the BBFC. I saw the film shortly before the BBFC did and could see that it had no chance whatsoever.

The MPAA cut 23m for the R version, the cuts the BBFC would have made would have been very similar. But unlike the BBFC the MPAA do not reject films. The BBFC like to have the option of rejecting a film if it is very difficult. According to Variety they did spend a great deal of time with MSP working out exactly what had to go but in the end gave up. I think if they had passed it people would have said "with cuts like that they may as well have banned it".

To be honest though I was actually a little disappointed that they did reject it because I was curious to see exactly what they would have cut.

As to whether they would have passed it for cinema - I think that would have been unlikely but one can never be sure. It would certainly have had to be cut anyway.
Old 5th October 2008, 08:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
I recon Snuf 102 if submitted could get rejected.
Have you seen the film, Vips?

Yeah it does sound very disturbing.

Haven't seen TORCHED directed by Ryan Nicholson in 2004 but it does sound like it might also be rejected. Nicholson also directed Gutterballs in 2008. I can't see the latter being banned but it would certainly have to be cut.
Old 5th October 2008, 11:18 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

No Angel, the films official website was the only way I knew , apart from a torrent site, of getting it but the offical site was forced to close after death theats from anti whatevers.
Its up and running again but warns that dvds sent to US and UK have been confiscated .

I tried looking round the web but I give up as some of the stuff I was coming across was way to strong for me to watch, they made films like Underground and Slaughted Vomit Dolls look like kids tv.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Last edited by vipco; 5th October 2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 5th October 2008, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
To be honest though I was actually a little disappointed that they did reject it because I was curious to see exactly what they would have cut.

As to whether they would have passed it for cinema - I think that would have been unlikely but one can never be sure. It would certainly have had to be cut anyway.
I would have been interested to see a cut version aswell Angel. Personally I would have only thought about four or so scenes would have been cut, I was very surprised to see it completely rejected. Have you ever seen the uncut version of Nutbag btw? I've only seen the cut version, I just wondered how it fares up against MSP in terms of violence, sexual violence etc.
Old 5th October 2008, 07:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
Have you ever seen the uncut version of Nutbag btw? I've only seen the cut version, I just wondered how it fares up against MSP in terms of violence, sexual violence etc.
Oh there's quite a few scenes in MSP the BBFC wouldn't have liked.

Yes I have seen the cut version and the uncut version of Nutbag.

Well the main difference between Nutbag and Murder Set Pieces is that there are no rape scenes in the former and there are no scenes involving children.

Having said that NB contains some very exploitative scenes of sexual violence. To me this and MSP are just shoddy exploitation films made for the purpose of showing women being either tortured or raped. Nutbag has no chance of ever passing uncut.

Cuts to Nutbag
The BBFC removed violence from the opening scene showing a naked woman being slashed across the throat.

Also completely removed was the scene at 13m showing a naked woman (yes again) having her head shoved repeatedly into a bathtub. Might sound tame but the violence here was quite unbelievable. Actually there is a similar scene in MSP but which goes even further as the woman also has her throat cut. Just for the record this scene in MSP would not have passed.

Anyway back to Nutbag - ANother scene (at 25m) completely removed in the UK DVD shows a woman (yes naked) wearing a pigs mask. She is also bound. She is then stabbed in the lower region. Again this scene will never get through the BBFC. 3m scene.

I think the most distubing scene was at 63m. This is where a woman is tied to a tree, stripped and the stabbed again in the lower region. It's also a lengthy sequence. Again will never get through.

So there wasn't much left after the cuts. However they did leave in one particularly nasty scene at 41m which showed 2 very violent murders. And guess what the woman in this scene was clothed. So now you know why they didn't cut it. Anywhere there is sight of nudity in films like this cuts are likely.

Another thing I didn't like about NB was that it was all shot on camcorder. Bit like August Underground. A technique I just don't like.

Let us know, Hal, if you ever see it uncut. You won't be as shocked as I was though.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 5th October 2008, 08:15 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Two absolutely dire and pointless films IMO (Nutbag & MSP) with no redeeming features whatsoever.
Old 5th October 2008, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post

Also completely removed was the scene at 13m showing a naked woman (yes again) having her head shoved repeatedly into a bathtub. Might sound tame but the violence here was quite unbelievable. Actually there is a similar scene in MSP but which goes even further as the woman also has her throat cut. Just for the record this scene in MSP would not have passed.

Another thing I didn't like about NB was that it was all shot on camcorder. Bit like August Underground. A technique I just don't like.

Let us know, Hal, if you ever see it uncut. You won't be as shocked as I was though.
Thanks for all the info Angel, much appreciated. I've seen the uncut version of MSP but like I said not Nutbag. The scene you mentioned (above) with the bathtub is one of the ones I'd have expected would have to be cut from MSP along with the scenes involving children and the wieght bench rape scene. The bathtub scene in MSP was quite brutal and pretty extreme I must admit. The scenes I mentioned there are the only ones I personally thought would be cut, the chainsaw murder is very violent and gory but I didn't think that'd pose any problems.

Yeah sure, I'll get hold of an uncut copy of Nutbag at some point i'm sure so I'll let you know what I think.

As for the film being shot on camcorder, I dont really like narrative driven films (if you can call Palumbo's films narrative driven) on camcorder either but I thought with August Underground it kind of worked and added to the effect of the film due to it's premise of being 'found snuff movie footage'. It's one of the only films I've seen shot on a camcorder that actually uses the medium to it's advantage successfully.

Last edited by Halloween_22; 5th October 2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 6th October 2008, 04:32 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

How about THE INCIDENT? It's a black and white flick from the late sixties (1967, I think) and it stars Martin Sheen as one of a pair of thugs that terrorize the passengers on a New York subway carriage. I used to own in on LsaerDisc (was released in the US by CBS/Fox) and it's very tame by today's standards but was rejected outright for a theatrical certificate in 1968.
Old 6th October 2008, 06:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Haven't seen The Incident but remember it turning up on one of the SKY Movie channels in the late-90's. Sounds like an interesting film.

It was rejected because the BBFC felt that it could lead to copy cat behaviour. Sounds like it could get a 15 today.
Old 6th October 2008, 06:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Re- Nick Palumbo

I'm eagerly awaiting his new film FRIGID ( about the unimaginable horrors involving 2 young girls (IMDB) and is out soon). Sounds like more heavy cuts on the way.

Like this? Share it using the links below!