Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2013, 07:29 PM
Cult Rookie

Well, Melon Farmers is about the most accurate site to check for these things, though they missed the fact that Night of the Bloody Apes prior to its current release was uncut on Redemption, or that The Stendhal Syndrome had been put through uncut by mistake by Prism DVD prior to Arrow releasing it. The BBFC site is pretty helpful, but they don't tend to list presubmitted cuts.

If you're interested in French New Wave horror stuff, then Inside, Shaitan and Frontiers are tothe best of my knowledge also intact over here, but Shaitan is out of print (though I own it) because Tartan are defunct.
Old 7th December 2013, 07:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbmeister X View Post
Well, Melon Farmers is about the most accurate site to check for these things, though they missed the fact that Night of the Bloody Apes prior to its current release was uncut on Redemption, or that The Stendhal Syndrome had been put through uncut by mistake by Prism DVD prior to Arrow releasing it. The BBFC site is pretty helpful, but they don't tend to list presubmitted cuts.

If you're interested in French New Wave horror stuff, then Inside, Shaitan and Frontiers are tothe best of my knowledge also intact over here, but Shaitan is out of print (though I own it) because Tartan are defunct.
Unfortunately, I bought Switchblade Romance (or, as the cover calls it, X Tension) long before I knew of Melon Farmers and various other websites.

As for the other 'New French Extremity' films, I really like the three you mentioned – along with Ils (Them) and Martyrs –and fortunately have Sheitan as it was sent to me as a review disc.
Old 7th December 2013, 09:27 PM
Cult Rookie

Shaitan is a good one. I was very lucky to pick up a copy of that for about six quid, as I remember, from Fopp when they were still offloading cheap Tartan stuff. I've never seen it sold since.
Old 7th December 2013, 11:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Satan may be out of print but you can pick up a used copy from Amazon marketplace for a fiver delivered.
Zann likes this.
Old 8th December 2013, 09:34 AM
Cult Rookie

I just finished watching Murder Set Pieces. It isn't as bad a film as I thought it would be, since the first twenty minutes go nowhere. It has some good ideas to it, and despite some iffy acting is an averagely competent little psycho flick. Some of the gore scenes are pretty interesting, though not on the whole more graphic than those in many films that have been passed. The problematic thing is the context of the violence, which contravenes current BBFC guidelines in a way that would ensure the film faced maybe ten minutes of cuts if it was ever passed.

A film which people assume is censor-banned but which has simply never been submitted is the Larry Clark indie flick Ken Park. It's a pretty decent arthouse film whose real sex scenes are neither more gratuitous or explicit than those in Romance or Q (Desire), which passed intact. Some of the characters are meant to be minors, but only according to US law (i.e. they are around eighteen to twenty), not British; the actors are all of legal age. If anyone bothered submitting it, it would definitely pass uncut. The only reason Romance is not available on UK DVD is because no-one has bothered releasing it, since it was passed intact for cinema release.
Old 8th December 2013, 10:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just noticed this topic. Seems interesting. After work today I'll flick through all the pages.
gag likes this.
Old 8th December 2013, 10:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo;

Try the BBFC Case Studies for some excellent info on assorted problem films.
this link doesn't work anymore
Old 8th December 2013, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

hi guys

yeah,ive also got the korean release of "haute tension",just thought it may be a bit too violent/gory for an uncut release available from asda.
Old 8th December 2013, 03:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
hi guys

yeah,ive also got the korean release of "haute tension",just thought it may be a bit too violent/gory for an uncut release available from asda.
It should be exactly the same.
Old 8th December 2013, 03:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
hi guys

Actually according to this Korean version is the censored version.

CUTS:
R0 Australia- Accent - No cuts - Unrated version (87:00 PAL).
R0 Korea- Bitwin - Yes - Korean censored version.
R0 Special Edition Korea- Dreamix - No cuts - Unrated version - all previous cuts waived (86:57 PAL).
R0 Russia- CP Digital - No cuts.
R0 Thailand- J Bics Film - No cuts - Unrated version (87:00 PAL).
R1 America- Lions Gate - R-rated - Yes, US R-rated version.
R1 America- Lions Gate - Unrated - No cuts - Unrated version (90:51 NTSC).
R2 France- Europacorp/Fox Pathé Europa - No cuts - Unrated version (87:00 PAL).
R2 Special Edition Germany- MC One - FSK ab 18 - Yes, Keine Jugendfreigabe censored version (84:51 PAL).
R2 Special Edition Germany- MC One - Uncut Version - No cuts (87:01 PAL).
R2 Scandinavia- FS/SF Film - No cuts - Unrated version.
R2 United Kingdom- Optimum Releasing - No cuts - Unrated version (86:59 PAL).
R3 Hong Kong- Panorama - No cuts.

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Haute Tension AKA High Tension AKA Switchblade Sisters AKA Switchblade Romance (2003)

Like this? Share it using the links below!