LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2012, 06:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I disagree. I thought Green Street portrayed them as mindless, stupid thugs with no real ambition or purpose in life other than to look for a fight. I didn't find it glamourous or inspiring, in fact I found it depressing and profoundly saddening. Only an idiot would find these mindless thugs glamourous and something to aspire to. And the people who really are like the characters in the film, laugh at films like these and think they're tame and not 'manly' enough. That's my opinion anyway.
Sadly, it'll be the 'mindless thugs' who repeatedly watch the film and find it inspiring. As the main character (played by Elijah Wood) says at the end (and I paraphrase) 'I learnt more here than I ever would have done at Harvard'.

I suppose this sort of quote from him really made me hate the film:
Quote:
I've never lived closer to danger, but I've never felt safer. I've never felt more confident, and people could spot it from a mile away. And as for this, the violence? I gotta be honest - it grew on me. Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go.
Old 11th January 2012, 12:51 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Sadly, it'll be the 'mindless thugs' who repeatedly watch the film and find it inspiring. As the main character (played by Elijah Wood) says at the end (and I paraphrase) 'I learnt more here than I ever would have done at Harvard'.
I disagree (again ). Who would watch this film repeatedly and be inspired by it? Is it those mythical males who might also be affected by sexual violence and go on a raping spree? Seriously, the people engaged in football violence don't see themselves as films like this portray them. They just don't see it. So no, I don't think thugs are inspired by it, as thugs rarely actually recognise that they are thugs.

I prefer to be cautious about stating that films can influence and cause certain behavioural abnormalities. That's too close to Fermanesque BBFC thinking for my liking.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:28 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Can't argue with that logic!

I suppose I'm now seeing how the BBFC came to some of their decisions because Green Street annoyed me and, though I don't think it should be in any way censored or banned, found its central message distasteful.

I haven't seen many more of these football violence films and really don't want to, which is exactly how things should be - if you know you won't like it, don't watch it or turn it off. Just don't watch it all the way through and then complain to the press and your MP.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 13th January 2012, 01:24 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I suppose I'm now seeing how the BBFC came to some of their decisions because Green Street annoyed me and, though I don't think it should be in any way censored or banned, found its central message distasteful.
Oh absolutely. I thought the film was pointless and had nothing really valid to bring to the table regarding the politics of violence. I, too, found it distasteful (although the remake of The Firm was even worse). For a good treatment of violence within our culture I'd recommend This Is England. Meadows' film is very insightful and shows the complexities of bigotry, violence and bullying. Green Street was just superficial pap that didn't even come close to tackling any serious issues.

But, like you, nor would I call for it to be banned nor would I complain about it. This particular sub-genre of film is not my cup of tea, so I generally avoid it now.
Old 13th January 2012, 07:32 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This Is England is a brilliant film: intelligent, provocative and compelling. I bought the BD a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I have it on DVD and have seen it several times. Thomas Turgoose's performance is one of the best from a child actor this century.
Old 8th September 2013, 01:09 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Would these films get by today cut/uncut-

. Gutterballs (I'd give it a 50/50 chance myself)
. New York Ripper (I actually emailed the BBFC about this one sometime ago. I'll post the whole thing if I can find it.)

And now for these films. I've not seen any of these. But I've been assured that all of them would likely be cut or even rejected. So how severe would the cuts (or rejections) be for-

. Murder Set Pieces
. Nekromantrik 1 and 2
. The August Underground Trilogy
. All of the Guinea Pig films

And how much would they have to cut out of Grotesque for a rating? If thats even possible?
Old 8th September 2013, 01:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Gutterballs... maybe but not the pin-etration version.
NYR...I really don't see why not.

Murder Set Pieces. Viewers who watched clips in last years BBFC census found nothing objectionable and thought it could be released 15.
Nekromantik 1&2. Never.
August Underground. Never.
Guinea Pig. Perhaps they all could be released except Flower of Flesh and Blood.
Grotesque. A hellava lot.
Old 8th September 2013, 03:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yeah, I can't see the AU trilogy ever getting an uncut UK release, I couldn't even get to the end of the third one, I think I lasted about 30 minutes before turning it off!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th September 2013, 03:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, I can't see the AU trilogy ever getting an uncut UK release, I couldn't even get to the end of the third one, I think I lasted about 30 minutes before turning it off!
Are the AU films that bad?

I haven't seen any of them, nor Grotesque or the Guinea Pig series.
Old 8th September 2013, 04:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Are the AU films that bad?

I haven't seen any of them, nor Grotesque or the Guinea Pig series.
Yeah, my old college tutor lent me them and Grotesque, couldn't wait to give him them back! The second one-Mordum, is the worst of the three and I honestly can't think of a single reason to recommend them to anyone who's not seen them.
Grotesque on the other hand is hard going, but at least it's well made unlike the AU films, which look like nightmarish episodes of You've Been Framed (obviously intentional by the "film-makers").
I'm yet to see any of the Guinea Pig films, can't say I'm in any great rush either
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!