Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Members' Club > Competition Corner > Competition Archive > Past Competitions - 2011 > Christmas Giveaway 2011!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:51 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Christmas Comp #23 - Straw Dogs! - FINISHED

Before I get on with the competition, here's today's gif in big, just because I can.

Right, now the comp.

SAM PECKINPAH’S MASTERPIECE RESTORED AND REMASTERED FOR BLU-RAY TO COINCIDE WITH 40TH ANNIVERSARY AND THEATRICAL RELEASE OF REMAKE.

Coinciding with its 40th anniversary and with the forthcoming theatrical release (on 4th November 2011) of the remake directed by Rod Lurie and starring James Marsden, Kate Bosworth, Alexander Skarsgard and James Woods, director Sam Peckinpah’s notorious thriller Straw Dogs has been carefully restored and remastered for release on two-disc DVD and for the first time ever as a features-packed Special Edition Blu-ray on 24th October 2011.

Based on Gordon M. Williams's novel The Siege Of Trencher's Farm, and starring Dustin Hoffman and Susan George, Straw Dogs marked Peckinpah's first directorial step outside the Western genre and into a contemporary (and uniquely British) setting. The result is an unflinching and uncompromising study of primal, barbaric brutality that is generally regarded as one of the strongest statements about violence ever put on screen.

Quiet American mathematician David Sumner (Dustin Hoffman) and his British-born wife Amy (Susan George) relocate to Amy's rural English hometown in an attempt to flee the violent social unrest brewing in the US. When David hires some locals, including a former boyfriend of Amy's, to repair his barn, the couple find themselves being subtly harassed and bullied by the workmen. The more the pacifist David ignores the problem, the more the harassment intensifies, leading to terrifying consequences as he ultimately finds himself forced to defend his home and his life, discovering a frighteningly vicious side to himself as events escalate towards a bloody climax.

Boasting outstanding performances from the two leads (particularly Hoffman), a brilliant support cast, and Jerry Fielding's superb Oscar-nominated score, Straw Dogs, in the 40 years since its original release, has lost none of its intense, visceral power to thrill and shock in equal measure. Undisputedly a director ahead of his time, Sam Peckinpah's uncompromising approach often saw him being reviled and vilified in some quarters while being hailed in others. Nonetheless, in Straw Dogs he displays a cinematic artistry very few filmmakers have touched upon before or since.

Straw Dogs (cert. 18) will be released on Blu-ray (£17.99) and two-disc DVD (£15.99) by FremantleMedia Enterprises on 24th October 2011.

Special Features include: audio commentary by Katy Haber (Dialogue Director and Peckinpah's associate, close friend and PA); audio commentary by Peckinpah biographers Garner Simmons, David Weddle and Paul Seydor; isolated Oscar nominated score by Jerry Fielding; 2.0 Stereo audio; optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired interviews with actress Susan George, producer Dan Melnick and Garner Simmons (author of “Peckinpah: A Portrait In Montage); stills galleries; original US theatrical trailer; TV and radio spots; 1971 on location documentary; Before and After restoration comparisons; Straw Dogs and the Censors; The Peckinpah-Pinter Letters; Sam and Dan correspondence; Why Call The Film Straw Dogs?; The Dan Melnick-BBFC Letters; the Times review and critic outrage; New York Times articles; 1972 BBFC defence against local authority banning; 1999 BBFC Home Video Statement; 2002 BBFC Home Video Statement; 2001 Uncut magazine feature; Consider This A Bad Review; the deleted Pub Scene; film facts and trivia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I think my inbox deserves a well-needed rest! Plus I want to see some cute puppies/kitties.

Straws Dogs...Puppies...Cute Things...

Post picture of puppies and stuff like that.

Something slightly different to all the horror on this forum

Enter as much as you like - but dont flood the competition! Everyone who submits a picture will be entered into the random draw at midnight.

It's as simple as that!

Such a brilliant prize and such an easy way to win!

Here's a cat giving a massage...

GOOD LUCK!

Enjoy!

Kyle
sawyer6 and mixalis667 like this.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

aww!
Prince_Vajda likes this.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:57 AM
Cultist in Training

perfect gift kyle !!! (but i buy it 2 days ago )
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:58 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixalis667 View Post
perfect prize kyle !!! (but i buy it 2 days ago )
Fail.

Mind you, if you do win, you could always sell a copy, or give it to someone?
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Here's a Christmasy one....enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Comp #23 - Straw Dogs! - FINISHED-dog-pooing-under-christmas-tree-600x698.jpg  
dullboy likes this.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Prince_Vajda and mixalis667 like this.
Old 23rd December 2011, 02:26 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

look mommy! im famous!

Demoncrat and Prince_Vajda like this.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 23rd December 2011, 03:41 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Kowalski meerkatting:

Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Here's the most recent edition to my family Johnny Cats! We adopted him a couple of weeks ago & he is a stroke whore!
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Comp #23 - Straw Dogs! - FINISHED-johnny.jpg  
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 23rd December 2011, 09:17 AM
Seasoned Cultist

PaulD and Demoncrat like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!