Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Collecting Shameless (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Shameless Blu Ray. (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/collecting-shameless/10280-shameless-blu-ray.html)

Rik 6th January 2013 06:46 PM

Bloody hell, I couldn't get through 5 minutes of that without getting a headache!

ReturnToZero 6th January 2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 309516)
Jesus! That can't be how it actually looks, someone must've doctored that top image! :eek:

You can see more comparisons on this page, just scroll down:

imieibluray: Suspiria

Rik 6th January 2013 06:51 PM

That is horrific, I'm guessing the UK edition is from the same master right?

ReturnToZero 6th January 2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 309521)
I actually like the garish technicolor of the whole thing :)

Are you mad? I watched my own anus in the mirror the other day and it looks WAY much better than the blu-ray!

PaulD 6th January 2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 309530)
Are you mad? I watched my own anus in the mirror the other day and it looks WAY much better than the blu-ray!

Unfortunately I'm not in the privileged position to make such a comparison. PM please, jpeg is fine :)

Gojirosan 6th January 2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 309537)
Unfortunately I'm not in the privileged position to make such a comparison. PM please, jpeg is fine :)

HA!

The UK Suspiria BD is a tiny bit too red. But it's fine and perfectly watchable. (When I screen it, I turn the "Colour" control on my telly down two or three points. I can live with that.)

The screencap comparisons on the page linked above clearly show the BD to be preferable to me.

ReturnToZero 6th January 2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 309537)

I'm the master of comparison and i've already made my decision so you can forget any PM from me.

You dirty dirty :nono:

;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 309538)
HA!

The UK Suspiria BD is a tiny bit too red. But it's fine and perfectly watchable. (When I screen it, I turn the "Colour" control on my telly down two or three points. I can live with that.)

The screencap comparisons on the page linked above clearly show the BD to be preferable to me.

A tiny bit red. Oh dear.

ReturnToZero 6th January 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

http://www.imieibluray.com/Capture_B...onfronto13.png

Since when did asphalt and concrete turn pink? Oh yes, in that magnificent world of crappy blu-ray shit whore....

Gojirosan 6th January 2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 309546)
http://www.imieibluray.com/Capture_B...onfronto13.png

Since when did asphalt and concrete turn pink? Oh yes, in that magnificent world of crappy blu-ray shit whore....

Yes, looks bad there. The DVD however, also looks pale and washed out.

The other comparisons look far less bad for the BD but just as bad for the DVD.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt over your insults and presume they were not directed at me personally.

Gojirosan 6th January 2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 309542)
A tiny bit red. Oh dear.

At least the cover was printed OK. So what do you care?

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 309549)
At least the cover was printed OK. So what do you care?

And you talk about people insulting you? I care very much actually. The BD looks awful.

Gojirosan 6th January 2013 07:39 PM

No

ReturnToZero 6th January 2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 309548)
Yes, looks bad there. The DVD however, also looks pale and washed out.

The other comparisons look far less bad for the BD but just as bad for the DVD.

I actually think the BD looks pale and the DVD is much more preferrable to the BD.

Quote:

I will give you the benefit of the doubt over your insults and presume they were not directed at me personally.
I would never insult anyone with those words because of his taste. I like you, i thought you knew that ;)

Gojirosan 6th January 2013 07:42 PM

Do you know what.

I am very sorry Stephen.

I have let external issues make me act like a dick on here.

I am sorry to Stephen, Return and you all.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 309555)
Do you know what.

I am very sorry Stephen.

I have let external issues make me act like a dick on here.

I am sorry to Stephen, Return and you all.

No problem mate. We all get like that sometimes. I know I have.

PaulD 6th January 2013 08:04 PM

That's why I love cult labs. Even when things threaten to turn less than friendly in the heat of the moment it always gets resolved amicably and promptly. No grudges.

Incidentally, and on topic somewhat, was the Amsterdamned release a new master? The DVD said something about it being supervised by the director, or was that also the case with the Nouveaux release?

ReturnToZero 6th January 2013 08:10 PM

And pooh said:
Let's just ignore those stupid BDs.

And they all lived happily ever after.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/sites/...n/grouphug.gif

:nod:

tele1962 6th January 2013 08:17 PM

Great review of Suspira here:

Land of Whimsy

Prince_Vajda 6th January 2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 309521)
I actually like the garish technicolor of the whole thing :)

Me too! :nod:

Quote:

HA!

Totally agree. It may not look the way it looked in the theatres back in the day - but Suspiria on BD looks pretty damn good, me thinks! :coolblue:

Greetings!

Prince_Vajda 6th January 2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 309567)
And pooh said:
Let's just ignore those stupid BDs.

And they all lived happily ever after.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/sites/...n/grouphug.gif

:nod:

Watch Frankenstein Junior, To Catch A Thief, or Peeping Tom on Blu-ray, and say that again! :coolblue:

Greetings!

tele1962 6th January 2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 309581)
Me too! :nod:

Totally agree. It may not look the way it looked in the theatres back in the day - but Suspiria on BD looks pretty damn good, me thinks! :coolblue:

Greetings!

and the review i posted?

fuzzymctiger 6th January 2013 09:53 PM

Yes, the colours are frustrating, but I get over after bout the first 20 minutes, but what frustrated me, was some kind of wierd grain in certain scenes, like one scene with the head of the school talking to Suzie, and it looks like there are flies crawling all over her face! :shocked:

PaulD 6th January 2013 09:56 PM

I must have to watch it again as I really enjoyed the presentation of it.

Delirium 7th January 2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 309457)
Arrow have it, and a BD may be on the cards for Q2.

Has there been any official word that a BD might be on the cards, or is it speculation?

Sorry, but really love this film and find the fact we've still not got a BD of it mighty frustrating.

Hawkmonger 7th January 2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 309661)
Has there been any official word that a BD might be on the cards, or is it speculation?

Sorry, but really love this film and find the fact we've still not got a BD of it mighty frustrating.

No, just speculation. Though a number of arrows point in that direction. The Q2 line up will be comprised of BDs or DFs indicating a number of possible re-releases upgrading to HD and Opera is amongst the most requested from members here to get an upgrade. Not that theyll listen or anything! :pound:

Delirium 7th January 2013 07:07 AM

Thanks, bud. I don't log in so often so miss little nuggets like this.

ReturnToZero 7th January 2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 309582)
Watch Frankenstein Junior, To Catch A Thief, or Peeping Tom on Blu-ray, and say that again! :coolblue:

Greetings!

I was refering to those crappy Suspira BDs Prince ;)

Peeping Tom looks good but it would look much better without the mild use of DNR.

BAKA 7th January 2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 309502)
Unless it's a new master with the contrast/colour restored to they way it's supposed to be, I honestly don't see the point of Shameless releasing Suspiria. I guess only time will tell though.

Completely agree with this. There are enough versions of the current restoration going around that another use of it for the potential Shameless release would be redundant. If anyone prefers the most recent restoration there are plenty of versions of it on Blu-ray, I don't see why anyone hoping for a new one more in tone with how the film has looked since it's inception would hurt anyone.

The trouble is I worry Shameless would never be able to afford the fees for a new restoration. I think a Kickstarter would be met with lots of skepticism too. Perhaps they could co-fund it with another region, but it's widely available in a lot of places and it's an issue only core fans will really take to heart.

sjconstable 7th January 2013 03:16 PM

What we need is a version of Suspiria that emulates how it looked on Technicolor prints.

Delirium 7th January 2013 05:53 PM

Incidentally, what IS considered the best release of Suspiria? Japanese?

tele1962 7th January 2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 309821)
Incidentally, what IS considered the best release of Suspiria? Japanese?

UK version i think......but that is very poor also.

For anyone who missed my link to this great review:

http://www.landofwhimsy.com/archives...ownright-ugly/

sjconstable 7th January 2013 06:47 PM

There's also a recent French one: Land of Whimsy

Delirium 11th January 2013 10:48 AM

Alright, Shameless. I've mentioned this before I think, but how about Let's Scare Jessica to Death.

I was just gazing lovingly at my DVD.

robertzombie 11th January 2013 11:40 AM

Internet Fanedit Database - Suspiria, Restored & Preserved Edition

tele1962 11th January 2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 311328)

:confused: Where is this version from?

the blob 11th January 2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 311332)
:confused: Where is this version from?

It's a fan edited version made up of different elements/sources to try and get it as spot on as possible.

tele1962 11th January 2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 311347)
It's a fan edited version made up of different elements/sources to try and get it as spot on as possible.

Where is the source material from?:confused:

the blob 11th January 2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 311378)
Where is the source material from?:confused:

From various, whether it's SD/DVD, HD/BD or even Laserdisc/VHS when it comes to missing footage or audio in some circumstances. I'm not sure how widely they're allowed to be discussed here as they're essentially bootlegs but of a particular kind put together by people with a lot of love for the films in the attempt to create the best composite version around generally. The work that's gone into the Evil Dead one over the years is quite amazing.

tele1962 11th January 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 311381)
From various, whether it's SD/DVD, HD/BD or even Laserdisc/VHS when it comes to missing footage or audio in some circumstances. I'm not sure how widely they're allowed to be discussed here as they're essentially bootlegs but of a particular kind put together by people with a lot of love for the films in the attempt to create the best composite version around generally. The work that's gone into the Evil Dead one over the years is quite amazing.

So the source of this one could be some SD material.