Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Collecting Shameless
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:10 PM
Ex-Member

I paid 16 pound for the beyond on vipco video back in the day and loved every minute of it.
Old 3rd January 2012, 04:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

These days i'm much more cautious on how much i'll pay for DVD/BLU's. But a few years ago i wasted a fortune on any old rubbish, particulary the Jess Franco Swiss DVD's. Cost me £25 each, and despite stunning picture quality, i thought they were awful tbh.

The only exception i made recently was for The Bird With The Crystal Plummage. Spent £22 as the US Blu was OOP.
Old 3rd January 2012, 06:33 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
I balk at paying more than £10 for a DVD...unless it's a 'Doctor Who' one of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
New, or old Who? I wouldn't even pay for New Who (and I do like it)
Primarily Classic Who. Alongside Sherbert Fountains and 'The Beano', the original series of "Doctor Who" was an important part of my formative years

With NuWho, I think there is something missing - especially now. The 1st series (Ecclestone) had more hits than misses, but since then, I think it has been gowing downhill quite rapidly. Don't get me wrong - I still love the show, but I think that it has become complacent, with an over reliance on guess 'stars', humourous moments, unscary monsters, (dis)continuity and the sonic screwdriver (which many older fans absolutely detest)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:52 PM
Ex-member

Default Is 19 pound too much for a dvd

it very much depends on what dvd it is
i sent £20 on the uncut jap dvd of kill bill vol 1 years ago for example
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:21 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Is £19 too much for a DVD?

Well... is £19 too much for a meal out? It is if its sausage and chips in newspaper. It isn't if its a 3 course luxury banquet with all drinks included.

A DVD costs about 15p, a case about 10p and a printed inlay about 15p to print.

Total physical costs = 40p. Probably less in bulk.

Its whats on the DVD that matters. If its a film you're going to watch once, find dull and boring, and wish you'd not wasted your time on, then clearly no, it isn't worth £19.

If its a film you really enjoy, become immersed in, know you'll watch again soon, can't wait to read the IMDB reviews and check out all the extra features on the disc, listen to the audio commentaries etc then I'd say you've got yourself a bargain at £19.

It depends whats on the DVD and what it will mean to you.
BioZombie, Baseball Fury and Buh like this.
Old 4th January 2012, 06:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

I would spend £20 on a tv box set no questions asked (if its 24, x-files, masters of horror etc) and even on the odd film if its a 10 disc edition. but as the question regards a 1 disc edition then my answer is no, that is taking the piss.
Old 5th January 2012, 06:37 AM
Active Cultist

Kinda depends on the disc as people say. I rarely buy discs these days unless it's something I really genuinely want. For example, I've been getting all the Argento Blu rays pretty much as they come out because I love the films (although I pick and choose which release I get).

My main rule when buying most stuff is how many times I'm I realistically going to watch it. In the majority of cases, probably once in which case I'll stick with renting. That's why I almost never get excited by the majority of the high street 2 for £15 etc Blu Rays. £15 for a couple of films you might at best watch twice

Don't get me wrong, I love a film collection as much as the next guy but I don't want to get into the same situation I had before I sold the majority of my DVD collection off. Had at least a dozen still in the cellophane when I came to sell them.

So in summing up......yes, too much
Old 10th June 2012, 12:23 PM
Cultist

IMO, yes. You can usually get any DVD that's in HMV for half price on Amazon (or some other online retailer). It's disgraceful. I'd only ever consider spending money in HMV if, if I really wanted the DVD on that day instead of waiting, which some times does happen to me.

In saying that, I have spent more than £19 on a single DVD, but it wasn't in HMV, it's usually on rare OOP DVDs, so worth it!
Old 10th June 2012, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

hi,in the past ive paid £25 for dvds.
a/underground 2 disc,m.s.p,a/u penance.
if you can afford £19 and you really want it,get it.
you know you will get it sooner or later so either spend £19 or bide your time.
got this film,but not sure if its worth the asking price,but then again i dont think £25 for the three i mentioned are worth it.#i just wanted to see/own them and they are uncut.
Old 11th June 2012, 06:35 PM
Active Cultist

19 quid is a shocking price to pay for a dvd, the absolut max i would pay would be a tenner and even then it would have to be summit i really wanted.

Like this? Share it using the links below!