Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Collecting Shameless (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Is 19 pound too much for a dvd (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/collecting-shameless/7004-19-pound-too-much-dvd.html)

Rassilon 17th October 2011 02:44 PM

Is 19 pound too much for a dvd

I really want New York Ripper and my local hmv now no longer have the first release which was 7pound. They only have the fan edition which is 19pound. I stare at it sometimes when I go in there, but feel this is too much for a dvd when the blu ray is the same price.
I know its 10 pound on amazon, and I should buy it from them...but I still keep checking. Like they might drop it in price one day...

Whats the most you would pay for a Shameless title? Or what's the most you have paid for a single dvd. I think besides the early days when dvds were 20pound each, I paid 16pound for Superstition aka the witch...aka one of the best movies ever.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th October 2011 03:07 PM

I personally wouldn't spend £19 on it, especially when you can get it from Amazon for almost half that. It's really a no-brainer when you can get something a lot cheaper elsewhere.

As for HMV, I refuse to support their greed, which is why I don't buy anything in-store anymore.

When the majority of consumers become more internet-savvy, I hope it encourages HMV to drop their in-store prices to match their online ones; especially when they realise that they don't have any customers left.

I've imported single DVDs at much higher prices than £19 before, but only due to their rarity or OOP status. I'd never spend more than I had to on a DVD.

platostotal 17th October 2011 05:03 PM

My policy is to set what price I would pay for a film and stick pretty much to that, i.e. the Arrowdrome treble sets are easily worth £25, CH at £15 is the ceiling for DVD and only slightly more for a Blu, the trouble with £19+ DVD's is that you can buy 3 Shameless's for that(for now), and thats before online or shop sales enter into it, and then there's the whole pre-owned thing going on. Back in the days of VHS I used to set aside £40-60 per month for new and pre-owned titles, nowadays more like £60-70 with a bigger proportion pre-owned. But to answer, yes £19 is too much by at least 1/4.

Slippery Jack 17th October 2011 05:17 PM

I remember the first dvd I ever bought, The Sixth Sense, being £19.99. Happy (but expensive) days.

Utter foolishness to spend that much nowadays . . .

Gojirosan 17th October 2011 05:17 PM

Yes. Yes it is.

the blob 17th October 2011 06:23 PM

It is for NYR, especially when I'm selling Fulci's Box of Terror which includes the first release for £12 shipped! :behindsofa:

Seriously though, it is and it isn't. If it's a title that's available anywhere in plenty of supply then yes, but I've paid higher for more obscure releases or limited pressings and will continue to do so when I have the money to. There seems to be a fair few people who will now buy Blu-Ray only. Yeah, I'd prefer it but I have no qualms paying for a DVD that stands little or no chance of making it to BD, at least for a good few years, if ever.

Rik 17th October 2011 06:41 PM

I'm sure you could find a mint used condition copy on either ebay or CEX online for a few quid, that's what I did, managed to get that, Manhattan Baby and the Bronx Warriors for about £7.50 for all 3 and they were in mint condition too. It might be a bit riskier than buying brand new, but I haven't had too many issues doing this.

bedorca 18th October 2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 190642)
I really want New York Ripper and my local hmv now no longer have the first release which was 7pound. They only have the fan edition which is 19pound. I stare at it sometimes when I go in there, but feel this is too much for a dvd when the blu ray is the same price.
I know its 10 pound on amazon, and I should buy it from them...but I still keep checking. Like they might drop it in price one day...

Whats the most you would pay for a Shameless title? Or what's the most you have paid for a single dvd. I think besides the early days when dvds were 20pound each, I paid 16pound for Superstition aka the witch...aka one of the best movies ever.

The prices have dropped through the floor on Ebay. I picked one up yesterday for seven quid delivered! :rockon:

Vampix 18th October 2011 12:54 PM

The first ever imported DVD release I purchased cost me £17.99 and that was Elite's 'Re-Animator' Millenium Edition.After that I got wise to internet pricing. :)

wayfarer 18th October 2011 08:57 PM

£19 for a DVD? :pound: