Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Collecting Shameless

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2011, 02:44 PM
Ex-Member

Default Is 19 pound too much for a dvd

I really want New York Ripper and my local hmv now no longer have the first release which was 7pound. They only have the fan edition which is 19pound. I stare at it sometimes when I go in there, but feel this is too much for a dvd when the blu ray is the same price.
I know its 10 pound on amazon, and I should buy it from them...but I still keep checking. Like they might drop it in price one day...

Whats the most you would pay for a Shameless title? Or what's the most you have paid for a single dvd. I think besides the early days when dvds were 20pound each, I paid 16pound for Superstition aka the witch...aka one of the best movies ever.
Old 17th October 2011, 03:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I personally wouldn't spend £19 on it, especially when you can get it from Amazon for almost half that. It's really a no-brainer when you can get something a lot cheaper elsewhere.

As for HMV, I refuse to support their greed, which is why I don't buy anything in-store anymore.

When the majority of consumers become more internet-savvy, I hope it encourages HMV to drop their in-store prices to match their online ones; especially when they realise that they don't have any customers left.

I've imported single DVDs at much higher prices than £19 before, but only due to their rarity or OOP status. I'd never spend more than I had to on a DVD.
Old 17th October 2011, 05:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

My policy is to set what price I would pay for a film and stick pretty much to that, i.e. the Arrowdrome treble sets are easily worth £25, CH at £15 is the ceiling for DVD and only slightly more for a Blu, the trouble with £19+ DVD's is that you can buy 3 Shameless's for that(for now), and thats before online or shop sales enter into it, and then there's the whole pre-owned thing going on. Back in the days of VHS I used to set aside £40-60 per month for new and pre-owned titles, nowadays more like £60-70 with a bigger proportion pre-owned. But to answer, yes £19 is too much by at least 1/4.
Old 17th October 2011, 05:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

I remember the first dvd I ever bought, The Sixth Sense, being £19.99. Happy (but expensive) days.

Utter foolishness to spend that much nowadays . . .
Old 17th October 2011, 05:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yes. Yes it is.
Old 17th October 2011, 06:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It is for NYR, especially when I'm selling Fulci's Box of Terror which includes the first release for £12 shipped!

Seriously though, it is and it isn't. If it's a title that's available anywhere in plenty of supply then yes, but I've paid higher for more obscure releases or limited pressings and will continue to do so when I have the money to. There seems to be a fair few people who will now buy Blu-Ray only. Yeah, I'd prefer it but I have no qualms paying for a DVD that stands little or no chance of making it to BD, at least for a good few years, if ever.
Old 17th October 2011, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'm sure you could find a mint used condition copy on either ebay or CEX online for a few quid, that's what I did, managed to get that, Manhattan Baby and the Bronx Warriors for about £7.50 for all 3 and they were in mint condition too. It might be a bit riskier than buying brand new, but I haven't had too many issues doing this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th October 2011, 07:55 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
I really want New York Ripper and my local hmv now no longer have the first release which was 7pound. They only have the fan edition which is 19pound. I stare at it sometimes when I go in there, but feel this is too much for a dvd when the blu ray is the same price.
I know its 10 pound on amazon, and I should buy it from them...but I still keep checking. Like they might drop it in price one day...

Whats the most you would pay for a Shameless title? Or what's the most you have paid for a single dvd. I think besides the early days when dvds were 20pound each, I paid 16pound for Superstition aka the witch...aka one of the best movies ever.
The prices have dropped through the floor on Ebay. I picked one up yesterday for seven quid delivered!
Old 18th October 2011, 12:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

The first ever imported DVD release I purchased cost me £17.99 and that was Elite's 'Re-Animator' Millenium Edition.After that I got wise to internet pricing.
Old 18th October 2011, 08:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

£19 for a DVD?

Like this? Share it using the links below!