Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Comedy

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:07 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Can't believe I forgot Not Another Teen Movie. Here's a little trailer featuring Mia Kirshner's character.

http://youtu.be/n8EKzIynX6o
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Don't start wittering about Truffaut again will you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Gimme Fast Show, Alan Partridge, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Python, Alas Smith and Jones, The League of Gentlemen over "Dude I Lost My Sense Of Humour Aged 5" any day.
No Dem, Zann's the man My thoughts exactly. Like I say, gross out only works for me if it involves Derek trying to put a piece of his brain back in . . .
Zann likes this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Not my brand of comedy in the slightest (unless it has a horror element and is directed by Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi...). I vividly remember being sat in the cinema for American Pie 2 surrounded by my mates, them laughing their asses off, me feeling like a being from another planet . . .
Quote:
American kids trying to get laid just doesn't do it for me. I prefer weirder stuff, wittier stuff, or spoofier stuff . . .
I'm pretty much with you on this. I do like a fair bit of the Troma stuff too, though.
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'm pretty much with you on this. I do like a fair bit of the Troma stuff too, though.
Never seen one I've always been warned off it by folk whose opinion I trust . . .
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
No Dem, Zann's the man My thoughts exactly. Like I say, gross out only works for me if it involves Derek trying to put a piece of his brain back in . . .
High five (albeit that maybe a greeting commonly found in gross out comedies). Pass the decent comedy to the left hand side. Good thread btw, opinion's clearly divided on this one
Slippery Jack likes this.
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Never seen one I've always been warned off it by folk whose opinion I trust . . .
Try Combat Shock Jack. That should be right up your alley.
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Try Combat Shock Jack. That should be right up your alley.
Oh yeah, I own that one (I've got My Neighbor Totoro also ) Maybe I'll take off the factory wrapping tonight. I'm not expecting a barrel of laughs though . . .
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Ah, you see that's you first mistake: trusting other people's opinions...

Troma is generally love it or hate it kind of film-making. The most memorable ones are probably the Toxie series and Poultrygeist. However, I personally also really like Terror Firmer, Father's Day, and The Taint (the latter two are non-Troma films distributed by Troma, like Combat Shock).

For cheesy but entertaining rubbish, there is also Rabid Grannies and Redneck Zombies as well as a few others. These tend to be better enjoyed with lots of beer (and optional mates). The bulk of their films (not that I've seen a great deal of them myself) tend to range from mediocre to terrible, though.

The closest to non-horror gross out comedy that I actually like, would probably be Kevin Smith's Clerks films.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Ah, you see that's you first mistake: trusting other people's opinions... .
Indeed...

Folk tellin' me the films have a smug, snarky sneeriness. That whole 'we know it's shit but we don't care!' vibe always put me off. Can't see me bothering with them any time soon . . .
Old 22nd June 2013, 05:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
American kids trying to get laid just doesn't do it for me. I prefer weirder stuff, wittier stuff, or spoofier stuff . . .
Used to watch them, but can't stand those comedies anymore. They're full of clichees and yet way too close to real life. Movies like "American Pie" make me sad.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
Slippery Jack likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!