Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Comedy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=560)
-   -   Gross-Out Comedies! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/comedy/11143-gross-out-comedies.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 20th June 2013 10:37 AM

Gross-Out Comedies!

7 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Gross-out comedies. Are you a fan? With their barrage of poop, vomit, gore and WTF-OMG-inducing moments, they can be a lot of (messy) fun.

Do you have any favourites? Perhaps American Pie? Meet The Feebles? The South Park movie, Borat, Jackass, Kevin And Perry, Dumb and Dumber to the newest Master of gross-out laughs, Movie 43, what do you think of these?

Susan Foreman 20th June 2013 11:38 AM

The Grand-daddy of them all

Animal House-Toga! Toga! Toga! Toga! - YouTube

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th June 2013 03:11 PM

Bob Clark's classic teen comedy Porky's. One of the funniest parts below. Can't even remember how mNy times I've seen the film, and this still makes me laugh.

http://youtu.be/75yAH9hWrZ0

Zann 20th June 2013 05:16 PM

Don't like any of the American Pie movies or any of their derivatives...mindless shite which brings out the worst of my prejudices about aspects of American culture. However, a film I enjoy immensely which I imagine is frequently (and wrongly) put in the same category is Freddy Got Fingered

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th June 2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 348251)
Don't like any of the American Pie movies or any of their derivatives...mindless shite which brings out the worst of my prejudices about aspects of American culture. However, a film I enjoy immensely which I imagine is frequently (and wrongly) put in the same category is Freddy Got Fingered

Just shows how different people's tastes can be. I love the American Pie films, even the "American Pie Presents" ones, and can't stand Freddy Got Fingered. I despise Tom Green. The man is less than funny. I'd laugh more at an old granny being run down in the street ( I don't find that funny at all, so it should give a good idea of how funny I think he is). :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th June 2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 348251)

Are you serious?

Freddy Got Fingered is bleedin' awful. Tries too hard to be gross and completely forgets to be funny.

I like all the American Pie films, a series of films that have created some icons of High School comedies.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th June 2013 05:32 PM

Oh, and Drew Barrymore needs a good slap for putting him in Charlie's Angels.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th June 2013 05:35 PM

Anyway, back on topic for me. Here's a nice little video celebrating Gross-out comedies.

http://youtu.be/4IDKk4Zj2lE

Zann 20th June 2013 06:12 PM

Ha ha I expected I'd be a lone voice on this one :) I think Freddy Got Fingered succeeds in being genuinely transgressive and Rip Torn is hilarious in every frame. To each their own.

mr 420 21st June 2013 03:29 PM

King Frat, Revenge of the Nerds, The Party Animal, The First Turn-On and The Lemon Popsicle series for starters.

Nordicdusk 22nd June 2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 348263)
Ha ha I expected I'd be a lone voice on this one :) I think Freddy Got Fingered succeeds in being genuinely transgressive and Rip Torn is hilarious in every frame. To each their own.

You are not alone im a Tom Green fan his show was better than Freddy Got Fingered but the film is still funny.

Slippery Jack 22nd June 2013 11:17 AM

Not my brand of comedy in the slightest (unless it has a horror element and is directed by Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi...). I vividly remember being sat in the cinema for American Pie 2 surrounded by my mates, them laughing their asses off, me feeling like a being from another planet :shocked: . . .

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd June 2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 348627)
Not my brand of comedy in the slightest (unless it has a horror element and is directed by Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi...). I vividly remember being sat in the cinema for American Pie 2 surrounded by my mates, them laughing their asses off, me feeling like a being from another planet :shocked: . . .

Weirdo! :tongue1:

Slippery Jack 22nd June 2013 12:27 PM

American kids trying to get laid just doesn't do it for me. I prefer weirder stuff, wittier stuff, or spoofier stuff . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 348638)
American kids trying to get laid just doesn't do it for me. I prefer weirder stuff, wittier stuff, or spoofier stuff . . .

Don't start wittering about Truffaut again will you? :tongue1:

Zann 22nd June 2013 12:41 PM

Gimme Fast Show, Alan Partridge, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Python, Alas Smith and Jones, The League of Gentlemen over "Dude I Lost My Sense Of Humour Aged 5" any day.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2013 12:57 PM

15 Attachment(s)
Some comedies that i like that others may not have seen.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 348641)
Gimme Fast Show, Alan Partridge, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Python, Alas Smith and Jones, The League of Gentlemen over "Dude I Lost My Sense Of Humour Aged 5" any day.

I agree, but sometimes gross out comedies just hit the spot. :)

gag 22nd June 2013 01:08 PM

Nothing wrong with first 3 American pie and the reunion, rest I've avoided like plague, I don't tend to watch any new comedies tv r film because they are simple shite r a load of pants and not even funny enough to make even raise a smile once, can't remember last comedy that I thought was even half decent let alone funny.

gag 22nd June 2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 348646)
Some comedies that i like that others may not have seen.

May not have seen, haven't seen one of them just don't take my fancy,

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd June 2013 02:07 PM

Can't believe I forgot Not Another Teen Movie. Here's a little trailer featuring Mia Kirshner's character.

http://youtu.be/n8EKzIynX6o

Slippery Jack 22nd June 2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 348640)
Don't start wittering about Truffaut again will you? :tongue1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 348641)

No Dem, Zann's the man :cool: My thoughts exactly. Like I say, gross out only works for me if it involves Derek trying to put a piece of his brain back in :lol: . . .

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd June 2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 348627)

Quote:

I'm pretty much with you on this. I do like a fair bit of the Troma stuff too, though.

Slippery Jack 22nd June 2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 348655)
I'm pretty much with you on this. I do like a fair bit of the Troma stuff too, though.

Never seen one :shocked: I've always been warned off it by folk whose opinion I trust . . .

Zann 22nd June 2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 348653)
No Dem, Zann's the man :cool: My thoughts exactly. Like I say, gross out only works for me if it involves Derek trying to put a piece of his brain back in :lol: . . .

High five (albeit that maybe a greeting commonly found in gross out comedies). Pass the decent comedy to the left hand side. Good thread btw, opinion's clearly divided on this one :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 348657)
Never seen one :shocked: I've always been warned off it by folk whose opinion I trust . . .

Try Combat Shock Jack. That should be right up your alley.

Slippery Jack 22nd June 2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 348660)
Try Combat Shock Jack. That should be right up your alley.

Oh yeah, I own that one :lol: (I've got My Neighbor Totoro also ;)) Maybe I'll take off the factory wrapping tonight. I'm not expecting a barrel of laughs though . . .

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd June 2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 348657)

Ah, you see that's you first mistake: trusting other people's opinions... :tsk: ;)

Troma is generally love it or hate it kind of film-making. The most memorable ones are probably the Toxie series and Poultrygeist. However, I personally also really like Terror Firmer, Father's Day, and The Taint (the latter two are non-Troma films distributed by Troma, like Combat Shock).

For cheesy but entertaining rubbish, there is also Rabid Grannies and Redneck Zombies as well as a few others. These tend to be better enjoyed with lots of beer (and optional mates). The bulk of their films (not that I've seen a great deal of them myself) tend to range from mediocre to terrible, though.

The closest to non-horror gross out comedy that I actually like, would probably be Kevin Smith's Clerks films.

Slippery Jack 22nd June 2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 348666)
Ah, you see that's you first mistake: trusting other people's opinions... :tsk: ;).

Indeed...

Folk tellin' me the films have a smug, snarky sneeriness. That whole 'we know it's shit but we don't care!' vibe always put me off. Can't see me bothering with them any time soon . . .

Prince_Vajda 22nd June 2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Used to watch them, but can't stand those comedies anymore. They're full of clichees and yet way too close to real life. Movies like "American Pie" make me sad.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2

LaughingWindows 31st May 2017 10:28 PM

I really enjoy Jackson's Dead Alive and although not really all gross his Meet The Feebles is just as great. American Pie movies(movies like them)were entertaining when first released and I was a lot younger now movies like that bore me to tears find them unfunny cringeworthy at times. I find now I can get into the gross out comedies more into black ones the darker the better if I watch comedy at all which isn't often these days.

Demoncrat 31st May 2017 11:27 PM

The Human Centipede II surely? :lol:

Harold & Maude and The Loved One spring to mind also ;):nod:

gag 1st June 2017 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaughingWindows (Post 535837)
I really enjoy Jackson's Dead Alive and although not really all gross his Meet The Feebles is just as great. American Pie movies(movies like them)were entertaining when first released and I was a lot younger now movies like that bore me to tears find them unfunny cringeworthy at times. I find now I can get into the gross out comedies more into black ones the darker the better if I watch comedy at all which isn't often these days.

Totally agree,love Jacksons early films and I'm same barely watch any comedies nowadays,
Just bore me or not even remotely funny .give me good old fashioned comedies.
Crocodile Dundee, never get bored of Monty python films

SymbioticFunction 5th June 2017 12:58 PM

I very much like Kevin Smith's 6 View Askewniverse films and I suppose that at least two of them fall into this category - Clerks (a woman mistakenly has sex with a dead body) and Clerks II (a man has sex with a donkey). Whilst both scenarios sound quite shocking, they are actually very funny when viewed in the context of the films. :)

anthony_burtwistle 17th October 2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 536390)
I very much like Kevin Smith's 6 View Askewniverse films and I suppose that at least two of them fall into this category - Clerks (a woman mistakenly has sex with a dead body) and Clerks II (a man has sex with a donkey). Whilst both scenarios sound quite shocking, they are actually very funny when viewed in the context of the films. :)

Kevin Smith was so great in the 90's.

I liked Red State a lot but the whole scenario around it seemed to change him.
Yoga Hosers is possibly the worst film I've seen (tied with Suicide Squad). It's like he's coming out and saying he's made a bad film before anyone's seen it, sort of like he's trying to deflect criticism 'cos he can't take it. Shame.