Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Comedy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=560)
-   -   On The Buses (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/comedy/11349-buses.html)

Inspector Abberline 25th March 2016 02:57 PM

Holiday On The Buses

Holiday On The Buses.1973.Bryan Izzard.Hammer Films.

The third and last in the trilogy this sees the cast go all HiDeHI as they go to Pontins holiday park at Prestatyn Sands near Rhyl Wales.So as you could imagine were not talking baking hot sun and golden beaches,so instead of Girls Go Wild style shenanigans we get to see Anna Karen in a rather ill fitting bikini and then her bum (although a stunt bum was used for the close up,and this is one of the few times I can re-call a censor cut when aired on TV one afternoon).Its basically Stan and Jack chasing birds but instead of clippies its holiday makers instead.Plot wise its just one mishap followed by another strung together with the odd close up shot of any passing cleavage.All the cast are present and correct although at the time Reg Varney and Michael Robbins had both left the TV series.Also unusually we got some 1970s star names turning up in the cast the wonderful Wilfred Brambell plays a lecherous OAP lusting after Doris Hare,we got the busty Kate Williams from Love Thy Neighbour as Blakeys love interest,yes you heard right,well up until Jack (Bob Grant) shags her and is caught in the act.Arthur Mullard and Queenie Watts play a pair of loud cockneys and Henry McGee straight man on The Benny Hill show as the camp manager.Listen this film is not going to convert you if your not a fan,neither will it please anybody remotely PC but you don't watch On The Buses for its politics.What I truly love about watching the films and Tv series is seeing another Britain,its basically my childhood in all its gaudy light browns and biege clothes and nicotine stained glory.Its been nearly 40 odd years since the shows were made and they still get watched,that alone speaks volumes.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2016 03:03 PM

Been meaning to ask you. Which film is this from? I never noticed it. Has it been cut? Did i blink and miss it or is it from the series?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z...52847%2529.png

Inspector Abberline 25th March 2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 482485)
Been meaning to ask you. Which film is this from? I never noticed it. Has it been cut? Did i blink and miss it or is it from the series?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z...52847%2529.png

At the very start of holiday On.

mr 420 25th March 2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 482113)
So, a night at the Inspector's then.;)

You're quite good, Nos. I only just noticed that and anyway its purely platonic. :nod::)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 482486)
At the very start of Mutiny On.

Thanks. I was probably getting a drink and missed it. :lol:

Unfortunately i wasn't getting a drink when Olive went swimming in HOTB.

mr 420 25th March 2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 482486)
At the very start of holiday On.

Nothing wrong with a bit of titallation now and again. (@ F Howard, 1961).

mr 420 25th March 2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 482482)
Holiday On The Buses.1973.Bryan Izzard.Hammer Films.

The third and last in the trilogy this sees the cast go all HiDeHI as they go to Pontins holiday park at Prestatyn Sands near Rhyl Wales.So as you could imagine were not talking baking hot sun and golden beaches,so instead of Girls Go Wild style shenanigans we get to see Anna Karen in a rather ill fitting bikini and then her bum (although a stunt bum was used for the close up,and this is one of the few times I can re-call a censor cut when aired on TV one afternoon).Its basically Stan and Jack chasing birds but instead of clippies its holiday makers instead.Plot wise its just one mishap followed by another strung together with the odd close up shot of any passing cleavage.All the cast are present and correct although at the time Reg Varney and Michael Robbins had both left the TV series.Also unusually we got some 1970s star names turning up in the cast the wonderful Wilfred Brambell plays a lecherous OAP lusting after Doris Hare,we got the busty Kate Williams from Love Thy Neighbour as Blakeys love interest,yes you heard right,well up until Jack (Bob Grant) shags her and is caught in the act.Arthur Mullard and Queenie Watts play a pair of loud cockneys and Henry McGee straight man on The Benny Hill show as the camp manager.Listen this film is not going to convert you if your not a fan,neither will it please anybody remotely PC but you don't watch On The Buses for its politics.What I truly love about watching the films and Tv series is seeing another Britain,its basically my childhood in all its gaudy light browns and biege clothes and nicotine stained glory.Its been nearly 40 odd years since the shows were made and they still get watched,that alone speaks volumes.

Arthur Millard has some priceless dialogue in this. Who says Britain has a class structure?

Inspector Abberline 25th March 2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 482488)
Thanks. I was probably getting a drink and missed it. :lol:

Unfortunately i wasn't getting a drink when Olive went swimming in HOTB.

sorry dem i wrote mutiny I should of said HOliday my bad.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 482492)
sorry dem i wrote mutiny I should of said HOliday my bad.

I think we'd better ditch the lawyers as things get lost in translation.

Inspector Abberline 3rd December 2016 08:49 PM

On the Buses (1971)

1 Attachment(s)
On the Buses (1971)

Attachment 184645
While not exactly a festive film,no bank holiday or holiday period seems complete without a dose of On The Buses,to clear the away them winter blues and put awry smile on ones face (unless your a miserable PC grinch of course).This is proper period drama,forget all that Downton bollocks,nicotine stained fingers,wimpy bars,HP sauce bottles and every body seemingly wearing brown clothes with kipper ties against dis coloring wallpaper in a country that seemed like it was living under a cloud of smog.While every woman seemed to be wearing mini skirts and either bending over or walking up the stairs while being letched at by men with terrible haircuts and rotten teeth..At the the time this was released in the UK,On the Buses was up against some stiff competition at the cinema but still managed to beat Diamonds Are Forever at the box office.And while you could accuse the films and TV series of sexism,the first film tackles the issue of feminism full on.Both Stan Butler (Reg Varney) and Jack (Bob Grant) arrogantly flaunt the bus companies rules and regulations,and make poor oid Blakey (Stephen Lewis) live a misery,they believe they are able to do as they please,and with the power of unions behind them,they see themselves as being untouchable.But the management have a secret weapon to combat the duos arrogance,female bus drivers,who are not only a threat to the masculinity,(they are all pretty much a butch looking bunch of ladies to say the least) who are not easily intimadated but also a threat to the mens overtime as the more drivers there are ,means less work.But do not worry before it gets to much like a Ken Loach film we have plenty of sex mad house wife's,some amazingly bad bus driving and a dose of toilet humor just to make sure the film keeps up with with the British Standards on saucy UK comedies.