id say majority of the most successful sitcoms came from this golden age
of television.
Did they actually realistically portray the real England of 1970s,depending
on your political view point it was the worst of the times and the best of
times.
Most of the more popular sitcoms have been held up as examples of poor
taste and political in correctness.
Are You Being Served,portrayal of homosexuals and the sexist behavior
towards women,Aint Have Hot MUm,for its portrayal of Asians.Love Thy Neighbor for its obvious racist main protagonist and how he treats his neighbor.Rising Damp again
for racism.And the list goes on,I imagine thier were probably more that have
now been lost in the mist of time.
Now im not defending racism or treating women in a demeaning way,but I don't
think that we can censorship things retrospectively,especially when it reflects
a whole period of Britain,You just can't sweep it under the carpet and forget
that it ever happened.
On the Buses has everything ,lecherous men,women in ill fitting tight mini skirts,
bad haircuts,bad teeth and some of the worst fashion mistakes ever put on celluloid.
Im not that big a fan of the actual tv series,like most long running series it does tend to run out of steam early and just pretty much repeat the same gags over and over again.
Where the films win is that they manage to take all the great element,the likeable characters and condense it into 90mins of pure 70s fun.Now they were never gonna win any
oscars but they do give an almost innocent slice of England back in the mid 70s.
It falls somewhere between Children's Film Foundation and The confessions movies with
Robin Askwith with a touch of Public Information films whenever a double Decker bus comes into view.
The main thrust of any of the Buses films is Stan and Jack trying to get of with women,or if you want the 70s term BIRDS,
Also what sets the On the Buses movies apart from other TV to film sitcoms is that on the whole they were pretty well made,they looked like films and not over long TV episodes,which The Rising damp film suffers from,its just basically three TV episodes
strung together,that and the unfortunate loss of Richard Beckinsale really hampers what could of been a great TV adaptation.

Harry Booth does a great job directing this Mutiny on the Buses and Holiday On The buses,lets be honest
it was probably a thankless job,but hey it still made money.
Of course they have dated,times have changed (not necessarily for the better) and alot
of things that were said back in the 70's on TV shows are pretty reprehensible,theirs no excuse in calling a black character Chalkie for example,which happened in the TV show.
But luckily the three films are fairly innocent by today's standards,and still funny in a juvenile way.Look I know some people hate them and that whole period,but what would you rather have Keith Lemon or Reg Varney.
I know which bus Im getting on.DING DING room for one more
on top.

Old 4th September 2013, 04:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default OOOPSSSS

Sorry completely bolloxed that post up,but was to lazy to change it.

Old 5th September 2013, 12:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

I really enjoyed the TV series and the films - they are a little far-fetched though. There's no way Stan and Jack would get as much success with the dolly birds in reality as they do on the screen, cos to be fair, they are a couple of pug-ugly gits.
Old 5th September 2013, 04:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default cad you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I really enjoyed the TV series and the films - they are a little far-fetched though. There's no way Stan and Jack would get as much success with the dolly birds in reality as they do on the screen, cos to be fair, they are a couple of pug-ugly gits.

You Sir are a cad of the first order,what red blooded lady could resist theses to perfect specimens of man hood.

Old 5th September 2013, 05:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default On the Buses Clip Jack.

Old 6th September 2013, 03:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Olive

Old 6th September 2013, 07:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

I love this show. Classic UK comedy
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 6th September 2013, 10:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Olive and Arthur.

Olive and Arthur.

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th September 2013, 09:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
This is the elephant in the room in 'On the Buses' - why would Jack and Stan get all the 'birds' when they are clearly some 10-20 years their senior and not exactly in great shape! This is actually tackled head on in one episode ('Dangerous Driving' I think) when a younger Luxton employee asks Stan's date why she'd want to hang around with these old buggers anyway (or words to the affect) but he is promptly sent away with a flea in his ear! In my experience, it's best not to ponder on it too much

'On the Buses' is my favourite sitcom by some distance and I love all three films. 'Holiday on the Buses' feels the most complete of the OTB films and is one of my favourite comedies of all time
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 7th September 2013, 11:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default A bus

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by Rondadoronron; 7th September 2013 at 02:31 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!