Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2015, 02:04 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default The Almighty Rik Mayall

Hi all,

So today marks one year since we sadly lost one of the greatest comedy stars of ALL TIME, Dr. The Rik Mayall.

I seriously can't believe it's been a whole year already - it still feels so fresh. I think I'll have a Mayall marathon this evening now.

So, here's a thread dedicated to the legend.

What are your fave Mayall moments? What are some lesser-seen stuff that others may not know about? Share and discuss all things about the great man here...
Old 9th June 2015, 02:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Think it's time then to re watch some bottom, the young ones and drop dead Fred then
dis likes this.
Old 9th June 2015, 03:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Think it's time then to re watch some bottom, the young ones and drop dead Fred then
I'll probably watch an episode or two of Bottom, and maybe the 'Flashheart' episodes of Blackadder later on today.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 9th June 2015, 04:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Can't believe it's been a year alredy

Most of the time when a celebrity I've liked passes away I tend to think how terrible it is but then move on pretty quickly, only with Rik I'm still genuinely as gutted now as I was 12 months ago when I first herd.

I had always hoped that one day thy would bring out a new series of Bottom or even better a Young Ones reunion series or even a one off episode as these would be easily among my favourite tv series of all time.

Back in the day I made a point of recording The Young Ones series off the tv on video tape and must have nearly worn the tape out. I was actually booked on to a school trip to France and seriously wanted to cancel going as the Summer Holiday episode was being shown on the TV the week I was away and I only went on the absolute solem promise that it would recorded for me.

I remember stepping back off the boat and the first thing I asked was was it recorded and what was the epsidoe like and on getting back home I was firing up the video before even thinking of doing anything else like unpack.

Even in school everyone was constantly walking around quoting The Young Ones whenever we could and we would see who could answer the teacher using a quote from the series (although we had to be very careful here)

Seriously though this was a huge loss which I'm sure I will still find as gutting this time next year as well. Still if ever I needed a reason to start up a young ones/ bottom marathon this seems as good as excuse as any.
Old 9th June 2015, 05:30 PM
Cult Master

As some have said already I cant believe its a year it went by so fast. Watched the might Bad News a few weeks back always hilarious. Its hard to watch any of his shows every time he is on screen I get a knot in my stomach. The word legend is thrown around alot but Rik Mayall is a comedy legend and a genius.
Steel76, dis, trebor8273 and 1 others like this.
Old 9th June 2015, 05:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

A year? man... someone pass me the cattle-prod, yeah, I'll bang on the Halloween episode of Bottom later.
Old 9th June 2015, 05:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Rik Mayall .....legend.

Along with Laurel and Hardy, whenever I watch them/him, no matter how many times I have seen it I crack up.

I saw him at the Regent Theatre in Hanley Stoke on Trent, many moons ago as Alan B'stard, probably still a pee stain on the seat (not an age thing....yet, it was that funny!)
Old 9th June 2015, 11:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Rik Mayall .....legend.

Along with Laurel and Hardy, whenever I watch them/him, no matter how many times I have seen it I crack up.

I saw him at the Regent Theatre in Hanley Stoke on Trent, many moons ago as Alan B'stard, probably still a pee stain on the seat (not an age thing....yet, it was that funny!)

Laurel and hardy 100yrs old and yet still entertaining the world old and the young. Comic classics and genuises are a understatement.
Old 10th June 2015, 01:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

An absolute legend. I never really saw much of Bottom but liked The New Statesman, loved him in Blackadder and of course his all-or-nothing portrayal of Rik in The Young Ones, which has to be one of the most energetic portrayals of anarchic obnoxiousness ever. Genius.
dis likes this.
Old 10th June 2015, 08:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

It was very sad about Rik, and for his family to lose him at such a young age was tragic, but at least we have the work he left behind to remind us what a genuinely funny man and comic genius he was.

Like this? Share it using the links below!