Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Comedy

Like Tree1032Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2016, 05:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Also even if you didn't like the films ( blasphemy I know) they still count as part of your Hammer collection.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 24th January 2016, 05:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Also even if you didn't like the films ( blasphemy I know) they still count as part of your Hammer collection.
Worryingly i'm convinced i'll love them. I can see myself picking up the complete tv series in the next Network sale.

As for the Hammer collection. It's a good point you make. They can't be any worse than the insufferably dull She and i still own that.
Old 24th January 2016, 08:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Dead Heat (1988)

Dead Heat
You do get the impression that in the 1980's that film-makers were trying constantly to cross-pollinate different film genre's in the hope of hatching a new franchise or at the very least come up with a new idea every now and again. So you take the well-worn buddy cop story, then come up with an angle,maybe a dog, an alien, a feisty woman or what about a zombie perhaps. (this formula was also used on Dark Angel and The Hidden, put a line through the applicable variant). Now get yourself a zingy title,preferably referencing another buddy cop movie,well ones's a zombie so got to include the word dead, and there both cops ( mmmm City Heat, was popular) how about Dead Heat, hey presto we have our catchy title,now throw in a few gags there we go comedy-horror-buddy cop bonanza. Treat Williams as Roger Mortis ,yes I wonder how long they took to come up with that name,and his partner Joe Piscopo as Doug Bigelow are a couple of wise cracking cops, you know the type one dresses in a suit the other jeans and t-shirt. Were off to a good start,a short fast car journey and were zooming headlong to our first shoot out with a couple of leather masked hulking goons on the rob at a jewellery store. By no means perfect movie,it is in fact a perfect 80's horror comedy with enough zombies and gore to keep it interesting and plenty of stupid one liners between our to cops,its not much of a spoiler considering his name to say that its Treat Williams character that comes back as a zombie cop.If you appreciate the tongue in cheek nature of the likes of Re-Animator,Fright Night and of course Return Of the Living Dead then you can't really go to wrong here,also you get a couple of nice extended cameos from Vincent Price as Arthur P. Loudermilk and Darren McGavin as Doctor Ernest McNab

Det. Doug Bigelow: [to a dead body] You are under arrest. You have the right to remain disgusting.

out 0f 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dead_heat_poster_02.jpg (102.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg dead_heat_flc_01.jpg (93.3 KB, 2 views)

Old 25th January 2016, 08:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Innocent Blood (1992)

Innocent Blood (1992)
Making a welcome return to the horror genre Landis manages to combine some nice horror set pieces with plenty of chuckles along the way.We are very much back in the American Werewolf IN London territory, although in this case we have a French vampire in America.Anne Parillaud goes from being the sexy hit woman in Nikita to being the sexy vampire Marie in Innocent Blood.Anne Parillaud is pretty much playing the same sort of role as she did in Nikita, only this time she's killing only the bad guys.Anthony LaPaglia as Joseph Gennaro is an undercover cop trying to infiltrate the crime family of Salvatore 'The Shark' Macelli (Robert Loggia).A lot of the fun and humor comes from the character Macelli (Robert Loggia) who gets bitten by Marie and then returns from the dead.There's a great scene in the mortuary where Frank Oz as a Pathologist about to start an autopsy on Macelli, only for Macelli to come back alive and do a runner with Frank Oz and assistant in hot pursuit.Robert Loggia is not only fantastic as the undead crime lord boss but looks like he is having a lot of fun playing the part in the process, especially when he starts to turn each member of his gang into vampires.Just to prove that Landis has his tongue firmly in his cheek he peppers the film throughout with lots of genre veteran cameos, Dario Argento as a caring Paramedic anyone, Linnea Quigley as a screaming Nurse, Tom Savini as News Photographer and Sam Raimi as Roma Meats Man plus Forrest J Ackerman. Whilst not in the same league as his earlier films, and certainly nowhere near as good as the classic American Werewolf In London,Innocent Blood was a return to form which unfortunately did not last to long ,as anyone who has seen Burke and Hare (2010) will testify too. It goes without saying Anne Parillaud is extremely sexy in this.

1/2 out 0f 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg innocent-blood-movie-poster-1992-1020248997.jpg (66.8 KB, 2 views)

Old 27th January 2016, 07:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Have Rocket -- Will Travel (1959)

Have Rocket -- Will Travel (1959)

Starting with a mock Rod Serling narration about space travel,Have Rocket -- Will Travel sees the The Three Stooges as caretakers at a space station,that is having trouble sending its space ships into orbit.So naturally the stooges come up with a fantastic new fuel to send the rockets into space thus saving the space station from closing down.In the late 1950's and early 1960's the Stooges were going through a bit of a renaissance period,mainly to repeated showings of there short films on television I suspect.The line up at this time was Moe Howard - Moe,Larry Fine - Larry and Joe DeRita as Curly Joe who replaced Joe Besser who in turn had replaced Shemp Howard who had replaced Curly Howard who had been ill and in retirement,and had died in 1952 at the ridiculous young age of 48. While not in the same league as there early short films Have Rocket, Will Travel is a fairly entertaining silly little film that was probably aimed at Saturday matinee schedule for the kids.Produced by Colombia pictures,this feature although not exactly a big budgeted affair still has some nice special effects for the time and reminded me allot of those early black and white Lost In Space episodes.Noticeably less violent in there antics than there earlier films,maybe old age was starting take its toll on the guys,unsurprisingly Moe is looking very much his age at this point in his career. This is not going to make converts out of any non Stooges fans,but anyone for liking of Ed Wood movies and silly 1950's films will get a kick,or a slap or a poke in the eye from seeing there favourite morons from outer space. Even more surprising is the fact that this film appears on a 6 film Stooges set by Mill Creek,and the print is pristine.

out of 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59728_3.jpg (95.2 KB, 17 views)

Old 27th January 2016, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Only just this minute opened my mail today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2317 (Large).jpg (90.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 27th January 2016, 11:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Only just this minute opened my mail today...
Ave! Ave Versus Christus!

Thus the apocalypse has begun.....

Old 27th January 2016, 11:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cheeky bugger!

I'm really looking forward to watching them for the very first time.

I'll watch the first one this Saturday night i think.
Old 28th January 2016, 08:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Going Bye-Bye! (1934)

Going Bye-Bye! (1934)
Butch (Walter Long) has just been found guilty (of what he was convicted of we do not know)but Laurel and Hardy were the star witnesses that got him caught and convicted and Butch is not happy at all,he is even less happy when during the Judges suming up Stan puts his foot in it.
Judge: I hereby sentence you to prison for the rest of your natural life.
Stan: Aren't you gonna hang him?
Naturally this really upsets Butch and swears revenge on our two heroes,threatening to break off their arms and wrap them around their necks.Butch manages to escape and hides out with his girlfriend played by yes you guessed it Mae Busch.Stan and Olly decide to leave town,and advertise for a travelling companion to help share the expense,unfortunately and unknown to them Butch's girlfriend answers there advert. Apart from the unbelievable coincidence of Butch's girlfriend answering there newspaper advert, Going Bye-Bye! (1934) is funny and fast paced little film,with a nice mixture of some rather funny lines ,with quite abit of slapstick in the second half when Butch manages to get himself locked in side a trunk , Butch's girlfriend: Yeah, my friend is locked in the trunk. You see he was packing and he accidentally fell in. To which Stan looks at Olly and says " "It could happen!". When ever I watch Walter Long,you can not help feel he really is a bad ass psychopath,he just has the face of criminal and never fails to terrify Stan and Olly.Mae Busch really has only an extended cameo as Butch's girlfriend,so really is not given allot to do really ,apart from looking sexy and filling in the ridiculous plot hole.There is also the terrible out come which be falls the boys at the end of the film when Butch comes good on his threat,as a kid that ending really used to freak me out,and Olly manages to give his immortal line to Stan "well thats another fine mess you got me into"

Ollie: [mimicking Stan] Aren't you gonna hang him?

[as himself]

Ollie: Couldn't you see that he was *annoyed*?

Old 28th January 2016, 08:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Inspector's been cut and pasting!

How do i know?

Two spellings of Ollie/Olly in the review and quotes.

Like this? Share it using the links below!